Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Seeking Advice about land rover

Page 1 of 3 123
Seeking Advice about land rover
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/29/2006 5:50 PM
Jamison

Date registered: Dec 1899
Seeking Advice about land rover

Hello all. Hope everyone had a great holiday! First and foremost I am curious about a good Land Rover community online. I know many of you have experience with them and was hoping you could point me in the right direction of a good forum with regards to the Range Rover in particular. I figure if I cant get a G for a reasonalbe amount then I will look at the next best thing as I am beginning to need a 4x4 due to PA winters and the fact that I live on a farm and need 4WD quite often. My 5'er doesnt quite cut it in the snow and its not such a great vehicle to go shooting in/trekking around the mud and snow. What is everybodys thoughts on Land Rover? Im leaning towards a Range Rover at this point but dont worry guys the G will always be my favorite haha. Sorry for the off topic post but I thought you guys would be a good place to start. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/29/2006 6:31 PM
Steve D
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1984 280GE cabrio; 2011 Ford Expedition
RE: Seeking Advice about land rover

Try http://www.roversnorth.com or http://www.discoweb.org . I am sure there are many others.
#57851 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/29/2006 7:30 PM

Vehicle(s):

Are you sure what you're doing?
Thinking about the traditions in british engineering...
In a hurry;

1. Pinzgauer
2. Volvo C303
3. Geländewagen
4. Toyota Landcruiser
5. Toyota Hilux 4x4
6. Volvo C202
7. Mitsubishi Pajero
8. Nissan Patrol
9. Lada Niva
10. Ford..
11. Jeep..?
12. Range Rover
13. UAZ, Gaz
14. Land Rover

Haflinger is to small

Edited by 460332 12/29/2006 7:37 PM
#57855 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 1:59 AM
smalk

Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, 2004 Audi A8L,

Having owned a couple of Rovers, I can say that they are a really nice car/truck. Do your research! I have owned my current 1999 4.6 for just over 2 years and have spent close to $8000 on repairs! By the way...I have just put it up for sale. PM me if interested.

Here's a couple of places to check:

RangeRovers.net
LandRoversonly.com

Good Luck!
#57924 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:46 AM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

Jamison, I shall try to reply as politely as you asked your question.

Would you compare any Rover to any Mercedes?

Would you compare any Ford to any Mercedes?

Why do people insist in comparing Range Rovers/Land Rovers to GWagens?

Follow the advice contained in one of the previous posts and get yourself a Landcruiser, a Pajero or a Patrol if you haven't got the cash to buy and keep a GWagen, but don't waste your hard earned cash on a Rover. 

Just my 2 cents

#57927 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:50 AM
mortinson
Expert

mortinson - 12/30/2006 10:46 AM

Jamison, I shall try to reply as politely as you asked your question 

and excuse me if I appeared rude in my previous post, but every time I discuss about those ghastly things I get an alergic reaction!
#57928 - in reply to #57927
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 8:08 AM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

I have driven many Land Rovers and owned a few types too, Some of the terrains and tasks have been extreme and LR have rarley let me down, if they have they have been reasonably easy to fix and parts have been easy to get. They have their place and there are pros and cons, I think Mort was run down by one when he was a kid thats the only explanation I have for his reaction, Just don't expect the same quality or cost of MB products, As for the earlier smart remark about British Engineering I will deal with it thus, The British did not invent the wheel but they did invent the differential, the disc brake, the jet engine the computor and discovered DNA, the steam engine,how to make things from Iron & steel, the list is long.
#57932 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 8:22 AM
Dr. Rob
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE LWB, 280E Ambulance
Re: Seeking Advice about land rover

Really. I didn't know Lawn Raiders were disliked by anyone. Kind of had a hankering for one myself. Can honestly say that it was a tossup between that and a Gwagen.

What are the not-so-good points?

I think a hugely attractive point for those of us who can't afford brand-new stuff, is an imressive availability of replacement parts and modular construction offering simple service.

Haven't actually had the chance to compare side-by side, but will definitely do so at first chance.
#57935 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 9:20 AM
Luky
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300GE LWB auto, E320CDI 4M, VW Polo Classic 1.6

Our police has a lot(about 50) of Defenders on the border with Ukraine. The company which sells them to the state also sells and repairs Unimogs and Gs, so time to time I also visit this company. Every time I see some Defenders standing infront of the building and waiting for a repair. The biggest number I have seen was about 20 cars(form 50). As far as I know they have 2 models- an older from late 90s, this seems to be quite reliable, the oldest has about 450000 kms on the clock, in 10 years. That is quite an impressive number even for a G. The problem is that only a few cars are from this model. Most of them are newer cars 03 or 04 to 06. Such cars seem to be a complete disaster. Every time something is repaired, another thing breaks down. I have also heard, that every time, when you want to cross s terrain obstacle, you have to press the brake pedal three times to disable the stabilisation system.

Edited by Luky 12/30/2006 9:22 AM
#57938 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 9:55 AM
Skyline

mortinson - 12/30/2006 4:46 AM

Jamison, I shall try to reply as politely as you asked your question.

Would you compare any Rover to any Mercedes?

Would you compare any Ford to any Mercedes?

Why do people insist in comparing Range Rovers/Land Rovers to GWagens?

Follow the advice contained in one of the previous posts and get yourself a Landcruiser, a Pajero or a Patrol if you haven't got the cash to buy and keep a GWagen, but don't waste your hard earned cash on a Rover.

Just my 2 cents

Yes, always the same nonsens. In the last 20 years I never read a question from a Mercedes G-Wagen owner who compares his car to this nonworking English Product. Always from people who buy a cheap xy hand Rover because they cannot afford a Mercedes for whatever reason.
#57941 - in reply to #57927
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 9:56 AM
BusBar
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 463 300GDL, 460 280GEL

Jamison,

I have used and abused numerous LR’s (series 3’s and defenders). The build quality is quite simply appalling, trim, electrical, leaking oil from every orifices etc etc. They are however tuff basic machines and even the one’s I’ve broken have always got me home. In the UK there is huge after market parts / modification availability, with the associated network of garages and individuals who will help out. Although I’m sure in the USA this will not be on the same scale I would assume it is larger than that available for an older G.
Over here they tend to have this poor reputation simply because they work for a living, are poorly serviced if at all and are generally abused beyond any reasonable person’s boundaries. Toyota Landcruisers etc. tend to live far more pampered lives.

Beware though, if the market is anything like it is in the US as it is in the UK you can end up paying over the odds for complete junk. Despite the response to your earlier post about the suitability of an older 460 I am of the opinion that if you find the right one they are actually easy to run on a budget. They are similarly basic machines to a LR defender but so much better quality. Down side is the network of knowledgeable people and spare part availability.

Edited by BusBar 12/30/2006 9:57 AM
#57942 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 11:33 AM

Vehicle(s):

Let's rub it in a bit. ;)

What do you call a Land Rover that doesn't leak oil?
Empty!

Lots of fun has been written about this legendary vehicle, best jokes
from the LR owners themself!

Check this out:
How do you know you own a Land rover?
http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/howdoyouknow.htm

This guy use humor as therapy.
http://www.amug.org/~jthomas/for.html

I always liked the Lucas jokes. (Prince of Darkness).

Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for a week and haven't experienced any prob...
If Lucas made guns, there would be no wars.

Why do the English drink warm beer?
Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

The three-position Lucas switch - DIM, FLICKER and OFF.
The other three switch settings - SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.
The original anti-theft devices - Lucas Electric products.
Lucas dip-switch positions: LOW and BLOW.

Guy in a LR pulls up to a toll booth. Toll collector says "Two dollars". LR owner says "Sold!"
Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

The LR has very nice prices and TONS of gear you can buy to them!
I use to look through the international LR magazines to get a view of the outfit to those cars, amazing!

Edited by 460332 12/30/2006 11:38 AM

(LR1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LR1.jpg (35KB - 3 downloads)
#57948 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 11:36 AM
Skyline

10/10
#57949 - in reply to #57948
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 1:28 PM
mortinson
Expert

roughneck - 12/30/2006 2:08 PM

I have driven many Land Rovers and owned a few types too, Some of the terrains and tasks have been extreme and LR have rarley let me down, if they have they have been reasonably easy to fix and parts have been easy to get. They have their place and there are pros and cons, I think Mort was run down by one when he was a kid thats the only explanation I have for his reaction, Just don't expect the same quality or cost of MB products, As for the earlier smart remark about British Engineering I will deal with it thus, The British did not invent the wheel but they did invent the differential, the disc brake, the jet engine the computor and discovered DNA, the steam engine,how to make things from Iron & steel, the list is long. ;)

You are quite right Bill... Land Rovers used to be cheap of buying and cheap of running. The fact that it is now perceived as an icon has destroyed the former. It's appalling build quality has destroyed the latter. I have to say though that if GWagens didn't exist, I'd probably own a Series IIA or a Series III LR with Japanese engine, American diffs, aftermarket springs, shocks, rims, bumpers, seats, overdrive.... Hey, hang on a second.... Where is the Landie?

But I would still display my recently gained British humour and have Union Jacks on both front fenders and a sticker at the rear reading: "Land Rover, The Best 4x4xfar"....

Having said this, I wholeheartedly agree with the long list of important things to mankind invented by us Brits (excuse me but I feel British as well). The problem is lately when it comes to actually "making" things... we end up like Rover as "The English Patient" (as BMW used to call it when they owned it).
#57955 - in reply to #57932
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 2:33 PM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed

Lucus humor items - excellent. You had a couple I had never heard before...and I owned Triumph sports cars in the 1960's. From the TR manual: "At intervals of 10,000 miles, remove the cylinder head in order to de-carbonize the piston tops, combustion chambers, and valves."    

There is the observation that the battery is located at the highest point in the TR because of the hydro-electric theory of electricity employed by Lucus - power flows best down hill.

roughneck: You might feel LR parts are cheap. I have two thoughts about that: 1. You live close to the parts source, thus cheaper. 2. And, the parts are cheap because you will need a lot of them.

Where I live (a small sample I know), Landrovers (from 1950's to the newest 2007's) are more commonly towed to the nearest LR mechanic than any other vehicle, expect perhaps, Saabs.  Oh, there is the one neigbor who insists on driving a 2004 dark green, London Taxi - diesel. I like the dark green leather with bright yellow-orange trim - :ohno:  But, her vehicle, "Nigel" is towed with regularity.   

In spite of Landrover's distractors and ills, there are many in my neck of the woods. The owners love them, but all complain about the cost of dealer repairs, parts cost, poor mileage, the frequent events of being stranded somewhere, and being towed. I have for years noted that LR has done a great job, at least historically, of selling this product. In fact, the whole civilan SUV rage is attribitable to LR and their ability to sell the concept of adventure. I have tapes of the history of the LR's birth and evolution. These are great fun videos. The hunting lodge dealerships in the US (now mostly gone), were masterful tools for telling the LR story. The Brits do this much better than Americans or Germans. Can you imagine a pile of rocks to drive over, and a log cabin sales-show room building, next to a Mercedes-Benz dealership?

DB/DC could have easily touted the history of the 4x4, since they produced such vehicles for many years prior to first LR. Unfortunately, the great technological leaps of DBAG were besmugged by WW I and WW II. Having said that, VW's were able to overcome historical impediments with ease.

#57958 - in reply to #57949
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:07 PM
Jamison

Thanks all for your input!
#57963 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:08 PM
BusBar
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 463 300GDL, 460 280GEL

The Lucas stuff is always worth a giggle.

Plus the one about the 1999 RR.

Enjoyed that one too. However its worth noting that this is the one to avoid. The P38. Strangely enough the one that appeared during the BMW fiasco.
I believe there are fixes to sort out the cylinder liner problem.

Edited by BusBar 12/30/2006 4:09 PM
#57964 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:17 PM
roughneck
Expert

Dr. Rob - 12/30/2006 1:22 PM

What are the not-so-good points?

I think it fair to say that the difference between a G and a LR is that a G is designed to keep the oil in and the water out !!!

Edited by roughneck 12/30/2006 4:18 PM
#57966 - in reply to #57935
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:19 PM
VonEpp
W124 Host

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): w114, w124 & w460

That Lucas post was gold, is there a way we can rate it? 5-star to 460332.

I believe Mortinson hit the nail on the head - you can't compare a G-wagen to a Land Rover, they may look similar (if you squint in the dark) but in reality they are streets apart.

Personally I like Land Rovers though - I guess their inherrant self-destruction is part of their charm. LR owners seem to love them; I guess they're one of those cars you either love or you hate.
#57967 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:24 PM
roughneck
Expert

Oh yes, and the Hovercraft, tobbaco, the spitfire, television, telephone, the motorcycle, the Jaguar car,
#57969 - in reply to #57849
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 3 123