Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Seeking Advice about land rover

Page 2 of 3 123
Seeking Advice about land rover
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:36 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500
RE: Seeking Advice about land rover

roughneck - 12/30/2006 1:24 PM

Oh yes, and the Hovercraft, tobbaco, the spitfire, television, telephone, the motorcycle, the Jaguar car, :)

...and my Mom thanks you for Tom Jones.

Mike
#57973 - in reply to #57969
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:50 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

DesertStar - 12/30/2006 9:36 PM

roughneck - 12/30/2006 1:24 PM

Oh yes, and the Hovercraft, tobbaco, the spitfire, television, telephone, the motorcycle, the Jaguar car, :)

...and my Mom thanks you for Tom Jones.

Mike

Your Mom must be around my age then, Ohh and wellies, sandwiches, The Beatles, Tommy Steel, Cliff Richard. Charlie Chaplin.
#57974 - in reply to #57973
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 4:59 PM

Vehicle(s):

I always wondered how you can make precision engineering when the smallest measuring unit is like 2,54 cm.

I would only agree on late Spitfires and McLaren when it comes to british engineering.
Norton, Triumph or Jaguar...

In USA, the engineering in space, flight and wapon industry is well known, not to forget entertainment, when it comes to the car industry...

Edited by 460332 12/30/2006 5:00 PM
#57975 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/30/2006 5:21 PM
roughneck
Expert

460332 - 12/30/2006 9:59 PM

I always wondered how you can make precision engineering when the smallest measuring unit is like 2,54 cm.

I would only agree on late Spitfires and McLaren when it comes to british engineering.
Norton, Triumph or Jaguar...

In USA, the engineering in space, flight and wapon industry is well known, not to forget entertainment, when it comes to the car industry... :help:

That reminds me, I forgot the big one, The SU carburetar, brilliant invention, Dont get in to space we could get political, rockets and all that, The G is I will agree a one off, one of a kind, and designed with all the imperfections of the vehicles you list allready rectified.
#57977 - in reply to #57975
Author
Posted 12/31/2006 5:48 PM
Dave P
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s):

Bill,
You forgot,The Founding Fathers,decent whiskey,fish and chips and,the merlin engine without which,the mustang would have been a rather attractive glider............

Seriously(who said that?),having driven most of the 4x4's mentioned at one time or another,and some in anger,they all have their redeeming features.

I believe the Range Rover's only redeeming features were it's chassis,and axle articulation,sadly designed out when a certain manufacturer lost the plot about what 4x4's were built for.

Having neither the money,time,or agility now, to look after a G,the only pleasure I get is reading the posts on one of the most informative sites I have seen in a long time,and meeting Bill every now and then.

I notice the one topic that keeps coming up,is the lack of general popularity of the G wagen,beware popularity is a two edged sword,remember the Range Rover,was a pretty useful tool until some moron decided it made a better battering ram for the school run,than a cross country workhorse.

Oh well back to the funny farm,and I wish you all well for the New Year,keep the posts coming.

Quinine at the moment,Bill

Rolling Stones,Eric Clapton,Lucozade?,Englebert!

Dave P

Edited by Dave P 12/31/2006 5:53 PM
#58061 - in reply to #57977
Author
Posted 12/31/2006 9:25 PM

Vehicle(s):
Re: Seeking Advice about land rover

I read once that with the frame and axle articulation om the Range Rover there were no need for diff-locks, all wheels would always have the same pressure towards the ground... Was it a joke with some truth??

#58072 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 12/31/2006 11:53 PM
roughneck
Expert

460332 - 1/1/2007 2:25 AM

I read once that with the frame and axle articulation om the Range Rover there were no need for diff-locks, all wheels would always have the same pressure towards the ground... Was it a joke with some truth??

It was no joke, Dave P and myself can verify that, and the idea was pinched from another astounding off road truck the Bedford RL that was designed with a flexible chassis.

Dave, sorry to hear you are back on the funny juice, I do hope things improve. in the mean time, Marmite, marmalade, the www, 24hr man packs, The Vincent, The Ariel sq 4, Norton, BSA, Bantam, AAh well those were the days.
#58079 - in reply to #58072
Author
Posted 1/1/2007 4:14 AM
Dave P
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s):

Sorry Bill,Bantam was pinched from the Germans,as part of our War reparations,Guy called Joe Ehrlich was to two-strokes,what James Watt was to steam engines.

Off Topic,sorry.. HP sauce,Bubble and Squeak,penicillin,Wallace and Gromit,Trench foot?................

Dave P alias E.T.

#58096 - in reply to #58079
Author
Posted 1/1/2007 1:39 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

Another place to try is Rover Cannibal (carcannibal.com).  Ryan can give you some excellent advice.

Like Scott, I just spent $2900 on a 90k service and new radiator and hoses on my LR Disco II. 

At least I do not have a car payment.  I would be a little more patient; I am sure you can find a G out there.

#58117 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/1/2007 5:10 PM
Merz-Ben
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 230G, U1200, U1250 DoKa, U1300L, U1500, U1700, 416

Jamison,

If you do go with a rover, I'd stay away from the P38A version of the Range Rover (1995-2003). These are very complicated electrically, and are extremely expensive to get parts for when stuff breaks , because there aren't many being parted out, and no one makes aftermarket parts for them that are avalible in the U.S. Your best bet in a Rover would probably be a later Disco I with the 4.0, but I'd just wait and find a G when you can financially support one.

Cheers,
Ben
#58126 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/1/2007 11:06 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Going price for off-road intended Range Rover "classic" or first series Discovery here in the states is well under $5,000 US.  At that rate you can chew them up and spit them out at 3:1 vs. G-wagens.  You can also get into one for cheap and put another $5-10,000 into it and have one KILLER off roader for less than the G costs for a decent used one. Financially I have to admit that some of the LRs make a lot of sense.  Check out Land Rover Exchange (LRX) for lots of stuff for sale.  If you're serious about getting into Land Rovers, you'll find yourown way to the really GOOD forums eventually.  But those are not the place for "why should I buy a LR, or which LR should I buy" type of questions.  Steve's recommendations are good.  I've owned and regularly driven SIIA 109" diesel, V8 90" Defender, '98 Disco and '92 Rangie before my 460.  I wouldn't go back, for reasons that are only my own.  But that's not to say that LRs aren't good trucks.  I know a dozen of them that could send most G's home with their tails between their legs.

I think there is something to the articulation bit.  It's nice to keep some ground pressure on all tires as much as possible to improve stability and make weight transfer less scary.  But it has to be said that the first upgrade any LR owner who's serious about off roading makes, after bigger tires (and if you want more tahn 31" on a Rangie, you're cutting sheet metal) is to fit some form of locking differential to one end or the other or both.

If your uses are mainly to be off road, visit Bill Burke's "4wheeling america" web site.  A lot of his stuff is couched in a LR point of view and you can't go wrong spending some time with Bill no matter what you drive.  He should be getting back from his anual new years run in Utah....time to see if anyone has any pix yet....

-Dave G.

#58140 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/2/2007 12:52 AM

Date registered: Dec 1899

See www.rangerovers.net

I think after you read the posts, you will soon realize that the LR might not be the right direction. All "RangeRover" models are covered in this site. Go to the Forums Section...! B/F anyone gets on me, I have had LR's and we currently still have a 95' LWB. Good car, oil leaks and all. Oh, I forgot, it has springs..

Enjoy...Stick with the G

JMO..

#58144 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/2/2007 7:58 AM
Jamison

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Giving up on Land Rover for the time being. Dont really want to get into all of the issues with LR maint. as well as airbag problems on the P38's. Gonna devote my time to helping my parents find a new car (hopefully a G!) sometime in the next 6 months. Our luck with vehicles has not been too good latley. My dad's car is getting to be a real $ pit and needs significant work. My sisters pickup truck just blew out a tranny. My moms minivan just died recently (thanks in no small part to her running E85 in it which destroyed the injectors and fuel system!). That leaves my car, the VW passat, and the chevy 2500 truck (all which need some degree of work lol!). To say we need a new car is an understatement! If my parents werent so busy building another house maybe they would get around to buying a reliable set of wheels haha. If anybody needs a 97 chrysler minivan or a 95 chevy 1500 truck (4x4) for parts im the guy to see!
#58175 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/2/2007 12:43 PM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

roughneck - 12/30/2006 10:24 PM

Sorry pal but No way José

Everybody knows that tobacco was first used by the American indians who lived in what is today known as the island of La Hispaniola, covering the territory of Haiti and the Dominican Republic -then part of the Spanish Crown- and brought for the first time to the old world by Christopher Columbus or Cristóbal Colón, an Italian who had been comissioned by Queen Isabel I of Spain to try a shorter way to the Indies. From Spain, the use of the once called Evil Weed use spred amongst the aristocracy of the European kingdoms.

Thanks to all this, and to the US Helms-Burton Act, which bans all trade between the USA and the Republic of Cuba, I can still freely enjoy -when my meagre economy allows it- smoking my favourite Cohiba Robustos which would otherwise and due to the competition of the American connosieur too expensive for me to acquire (I guess this makes me an outlaw under US statutes, so please don't tell anyone).

Unless that is Bill, the tobbaco that you were referring to is something different and unknown to me...

Edited by mortinson 1/2/2007 12:44 PM
#58200 - in reply to #57969
Author
Posted 1/2/2007 12:48 PM
roughneck
Expert

Morty,I only put that in so you would pick up on it with the endless knowledge I know you have on tobbaco
#58201 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/2/2007 1:03 PM
mortinson
Expert

roughneck - 1/2/2007 6:48 PM

Morty,I only put that in so you would pick up on it with the endless knowledge I know you have on tobbaco :o

Ohhh dear! I ate the bait AGAIN!

Edited by mortinson 1/2/2007 1:03 PM
#58203 - in reply to #58201
Author
Posted 1/2/2007 1:37 PM
Chris
Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): 2012 G550, 2012 GL350 BT

Discoweb.org is probably the best. There are some good info there for you to read over for anything from other sites, clubs, vendors and of course a tech section. One thing that you will notice there is not alot of the members there seem to be more geared to the D2, D1 and RRC. There is some for the P38a RR but not as much. AS well there is little cheer given to the newer vehicles like the LR3 as it is going the way of mall cruiser which is very typical with any manufacturer marketing cars for the North American market. Look at the TLC for example as well.

I am not looking at ruffling a few feathers either and I know I am one of the few when I say this but I have never had any problems with my Discovery's (I currently drive an 01 DII SE and had a 96 D1 SE). Other than the regular maintenance that goes into ownership of any vehicle. They have been extremely reliable for me. I do realize that not everyone will like LR but that is why we each have opinions and choices.

Now, if you really have your hearts set on a G, then you should never settle for something else .... YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY!

Hope this helps
#58206 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/2/2007 5:33 PM
Jamison

Im just waiting now. Soaking up info and whatnot from more seasoned G enthusiasts is enough fun for now. There will come a day when I walk into a dealership (or importer) and sign on the dotted line for a charcoal SWB Diesel G. From then it will go to Brabus for engine modification as well as nice wheels and heck maybe dress up the interior some? It will get a full Alpine stereo upgrade as well. Also I will search for the MP5 gun boxes that were found on the interior door panels of older military G's and put one of those in so I can cart around my weapons haha (abiding by the law of course!) Am I dreaming? Of course! But whats life without dreams? This is one I will certainly have to fulfill!
#58222 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/4/2007 1:59 AM
Wolf
Regular

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): W461 300GD, Range Rover III, BMW 735i, BMW R1200GS

I drive a W461 G and a L322 Range Rover (the RR III). The Rangie has been a great truck - no problems, not a trace of fluid leaks anywhere (and there's still some oil in the sump!). As already pointed out, rangerovers.net is a useful forum. There are both good and bad used Gs and LRs out there - a service history, pre-purchase inspection (and warranty) all help a little.
#58372 - in reply to #57849
Author
Posted 1/4/2007 5:07 PM
mortinson
Expert

Stolen from a posting in the the Benz World forum:

The latest JD Power Dependability Survey ranks Land Rover a distant last. The news comes fresh on the heels of the recent Forbes Magazine report (using data from both JD Power and Consumer Reports) which ranked the LR3 and the latest 2006 Range Rover as the least reliable luxury vehicles sold in the US. All this will come as no surprise to the average Land Rover owner, and will no doubt be followed by the usual announcements from the factory about how they are improving radically.

In the dependability survey, J.D. Power questions owners of 3 year old vehicles about problems they are experiencing. Last-place Land Rover lagged far behind the second-to-last brand, Saab. Land Rover owners reported 438 problems per 100 vehicles, while Saab owners reported 326. Owners of top-rated Toyota vehicles reported only 136.

.... and still they sell well
#58423 - in reply to #58372
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 3 123