Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 2000 G500 Trans issues... need guidance

Page 2 of 2 12
2000 G500 Trans issues... need guidance
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/12/2008 8:23 PM
wcelliot

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: 2000 G500 Trans issues... need guidance

Interesting news... I removed the shifter, disassembled, and everything looked good except for a borken pin (which appeared to be used for a lockout... not a critical operational function.

I adjusted per the shop manual and reinstalled. Nothing Truck would not start.

So I did the remove, disassemble, more carefully adjust... same thing. Twice more.

On the last time, I got a beep out of the backup sensor as I was moving the lever... but it was in Park. I pulled the unit again and did a continuity check of the backup lights... sure enough in Park the truck thought it was in reverse.

So I disassembled again,, carefully tested the switch (it tested fine with Reverse exactly where the markings indicated). But it would not line up with the lever in Reverse position. And what really got me was that there was no adjustment between the two. None.

Then as I was looking at the diagram again for inspiration, it hit me that the shift lever pictured was straight while mine was curved! My shift lever was bent! Now that may have been my issue all along with selecting lower gears and with the truck "not quite" going into drive when cold... I've never put this type of pressure on the stick... so my guess is that the PO did most of it (with me possibly adding a few extra degrees of bend)...

So I carefully bent the shift lever straight. Reassembled and now the Reverse position with the lever coincided with the Reverse position on the sensor switch. Reinstalled and the truck started right up!

I haven't fully tested... weather is nasty and the truck is outside, so I have not hooked up the physical attachment to the trans yet... hopefully tomorrow...

Thanks for the guidance on this strange one! I've puchased what I think is an indentical unit inexpensively off Ebay and will hopefully be able to either use it as is or raid it for the neceaary parts to properly repair mine.

Bill

#109317 - in reply to #106268
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/12/2008 8:38 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

wcelliot - 2/12/2008 8:23 PM

Interesting news... I removed the shifter, disassembled, and everything looked good except for a borken pin (which appeared to be used for a lockout... not a critical operational function.

I adjusted per the shop manual and reinstalled. Nothing Truck would not start.

So I did the remove, disassemble, more carefully adjust... same thing. Twice more.

On the last time, I got a beep out of the backup sensor as I was moving the lever... but it was in Park. I pulled the unit again and did a continuity check of the backup lights... sure enough in Park the truck thought it was in reverse.

So I disassembled again,, carefully tested the switch (it tested fine with Reverse exactly where the markings indicated). But it would not line up with the lever in Reverse position. And what really got me was that there was no adjustment between the two. None.

Then as I was looking at the diagram again for inspiration, it hit me that the shift lever pictured was straight while mine was curved! My shift lever was bent! Now that may have been my issue all along with selecting lower gears and with the truck "not quite" going into drive when cold... I've never put this type of pressure on the stick... so my guess is that the PO did most of it (with me possibly adding a few extra degrees of bend)...

So I carefully bent the shift lever straight. Reassembled and now the Reverse position with the lever coincided with the Reverse position on the sensor switch. Reinstalled and the truck started right up!

I haven't fully tested... weather is nasty and the truck is outside, so I have not hooked up the physical attachment to the trans yet... hopefully tomorrow...

Thanks for the guidance on this strange one! I've puchased what I think is an indentical unit inexpensively off Ebay and will hopefully be able to either use it as is or raid it for the neceaary parts to properly repair mine.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the update. Ij just shows to go ya that persistence definitely pays off in the end! Great job!
#109320 - in reply to #109317
Author
Posted 2/13/2008 2:37 PM
wcelliot

Update:
Reinstalled, readjusted the trans rod (less than a mm adjustment needed), and the truck runs and drives normally. No delay going into gear, no delayed upshifts (only 32 here this morning though...will have to test when it gets really cold)...

The shifter still won't let me select anything below drive, but that was "iffy" before anyway... hopefully the new bits will restore that function as well.

I've learned a lot more about these shifters than I ever wanted to know.

One more question though... how does the knob come off? I removed the emblem and the single "star" screw below it, but the knob doesn't budge even with potentially deadly levels of force applied...

Thanks again!
Bill
#109426 - in reply to #106268
Author
Posted 2/13/2008 3:22 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

wcelliot - 2/13/2008 2:37 PM

One more question though... how does the knob come off? I removed the emblem and the single "star" screw below it, but the knob doesn't budge even with potentially deadly levels of force applied...

Thanks again!
Bill

The round sleeve at the bottom of the knob is a lock "nut". Use something that won't mar the finish and loosen it. Then, you can screw off the knob.
#109430 - in reply to #109426
Author
Posted 2/13/2008 5:21 PM
wcelliot

Ah! Thanks!
Bill
#109451 - in reply to #106268
Author
Posted 2/15/2008 6:43 PM
wcelliot

Final:

My $55 1995-1998 C220 Ebay shifter arrived today. It is absolutely identical (even in the lower rod connection) to the wounded shifter in my 1999/2000 G500.

Did a quick and painless R&R; 100% function restored and can now select the lower gears without an issue.

Part number of the main body is: A 202 267 05 37 and of the base plate: A 202 267 01 37

Here is the Ebay auction with pix: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&ssp...

Thanks again for the support and guidance!
Bill
#109751 - in reply to #106268
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12