Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 280GE M110 A/C High Idle proper function

Page 4 of 6 123456
280GE M110 A/C High Idle proper function
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/5/2008 3:20 PM
bram_r
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): 1984 MB 280GE, 1982 MB 300GD, 1986 Subaru XT 4WD
Re: 280GE M110 A/C High Idle proper function

well this is getting more interesting by the minute. Hang in there Mike and Indiana, a solution can't be far away anymore
Nice pics by the way with all those new rubber hoses, doing a good job.

Some info from the MB manuals or from some car with A/C installed would really be nice. Hopefully Dave can get access to same good info as he earlier helped me on with the deceleration valve. Please post some EPC pics of the 'Klima-anlage' when you got a VIN of a 280GE with factory A/C.

Regarding that EGR set-up. My 1984 280GE, also got the EGR valve but works as Mike described '[EGR line goes throttle body to thermo valve on the exhaust side port, than from there to EGR valve]". No ignition retard valve on my car installed.

That W107 schematic makes perfect sense to me, but just as Mike I'm wondering where and how the A/C valve is connected to and how big the lines should be.

Just as Dave, I would like to have verified that the 'vacuum valve' with the lines going to the distributor are indeed part of the A/C system. Would delete some speculation.
For now I can't help you any further with first hand info, but if I come a 460 A/C car, I will definately check it out

Bram

Edited by bram_r 7/5/2008 3:27 PM
#125954 - in reply to #107903
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/5/2008 3:32 PM
Fernando BR

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): G500/05 300GE/91 300GD/80
RE: 280GE M110 A/C High Idle proper function

I never read something about K jetronic, i use to read about KE jetronic , but seeing this iddle warm up regulator diagram i saw that it increase idlle by a vaccum line work.May be this line can be used to connect the swich over valve and increase vacuum at the regulator when use AC.......This the text and the pic ( A is the vacuum line):

The Warm-up-Regulator
This simple device is responsible for controlling the amount of fuel delivered to the engine during it's warm-up period. The pressure acting upon the top of the control plunger varies depending on the engine temperature and provides an effective method of enrichment.
The control pressure is tapped off from the primary pressure circuit in the metering head's lower chamber through a tiny restrictive hole which gives it the ability to differentiate between the two pressures. A flexible pipe then connects the control plunger gallery to the warm-up-regulator and returns back to the metering head to a connection next to the primary pressure regulator's transfer valve. This valve is in the circuit to close the fuel from the control circuit when the engine is off, avoiding the total loss of system pressure while the engine is stationary.

The internals of the warm-up-regulator are quite simple comprising an inlet and outlet port, a stainless steel shim, a bi-metalic heated strip and a spring.

The input to the warm-up-regulator flows into a small chamber in the top of the unit, its return is through a small drilling and back to the metering head. By controlling this return flow it will cause a change in pressure acting on the top of the control plunger. With a cold engine the flow must be fairly free giving it a lower pressure. This will allow a higher lift of the plunger which in turn will enrich the mixture under these conditions. The free flow is obtained by the internal bi-metalic strip exerting a downward pressure on the spring which decreases the pressure acting upon the shim, this lower force allows the fuel to flow almost uninterrupted.

As the bi-metalic strip is heated, by either it's heater element or natural heat soak from the engine, the downward pressure acting on the spring is gradually decreased, increasing the force of the spring, which in turn increases the control pressure.

Typical cold engine control pressure will be as low as 1.0 bar increasing over approx. 10 minutes to around 3.5 bar. Some warm-up-regulators have a vacuum connection that will sense a drop in vacuum and lower the control pressure during these acceleration periods.

The voltage supply to the regulator is from the fuel pump relay, because if the ignition was on without the engine running, all enrichment would be removed as the bi-metalic strip would be heated prematurely and the driver would not benefit from the cold engine enrichment.

The two pipes that connect to the warm-up-regulator have different sized 'banjo unions' to avoid them being connected incorrectly. The control pressures quoted are as an example only and reference should be made to the technical data as these pressures can be specific to the part number located on the unit's housing.
This unit will have a resistance value of approximately 20 to 26 Ohms.

NOTE :- it is important to disconnect the electrical connection to the unit before any pressure testing on the control circuit is performed as this will prematurely heat the bi-metalic strip and cold control pressures will not be available.

Edited by Fernando BR 7/5/2008 3:36 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Warm up regulator.pdf (240KB - 17 downloads)
#125955 - in reply to #107903
Author
Posted 7/5/2008 6:27 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500

OK here is what I found

.When I attach my MIty-Vac to the distributor and apply vacuum, rpm goes up.

When I attach vacuum lines from changeover switch to throttle body and distributor as illustrated and activate switch, no noticeable or actual increase in idle while sitting with no load (a/c off).

With switch hooked up to a/c compressor and turned on, at idle of 1000rpm in park, there is a drop in idle, but does not die and hangs at 700-750 rpm.

Vacuum from throttle body is less than 2psi at idle and distributor seem to need 7-10psi to increase....as I applied such to distributor with Mity-Vac.

I am still a little sketchy on the workings here. Here is my assumption:When engine is at idle, little vacuum is present, so virtually no increase in idle will take place through distributor, when manually activating changeover switch. With switch connected to compressor and activated, additional load is put on motor,vac increases a bit (due to load ?), idle increases (not felt) but enough to sustain load put on motor and keep from shutting off ?

Curiously, I cranked up my Dodge, drove around the block to warm up and while at a stop sign at idle, activated a/c and watched rpm drop 150-200 on it.Do you think I am on the right thinking path ?

My G has the factory a/c and EPC shows an "Idling Adjustment Valve" that should be somewhere in this setup...however, you pull that part number up (A000 094 12 65) and only shows applicable to the M102 cross country vehicle and M110 powered sedans for Japan and South Africa. Kind of bizarre.

I will leave connected as such and see what happens for awhile. I am just happy I was able to put everything back together in the intake side without any troubles or leaks...it was actually quite rewarding and fun.

Mike

P.S. Sorry about the funky paragraphing, something happened that put everything as one paragraph so I had to edit html.

Edited by DesertStar 7/5/2008 6:38 PM

#125962 - in reply to #107903
Author
Posted 7/5/2008 8:04 PM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE

Mike, I'm not sure how it all works, but on my G I have 2 vac lines coming from the throttle base, the top one goes to the distributor and the lower one goes into a thermally actuated switch ( located on the exhaust side of the engine block) then out to the EGR valve. About the AC electric switch....here's some pics (looking upward towards the underside of the manifold) of where the 2 lines go. That thingy where the left line ends looks like part # 000 094 1265 idling air adjustment that shows on the EPC under my vin#. Bernie.

Edited by elevatorbernie 7/5/2008 8:27 PM

(vac lines 001 (Small).jpg)

(vac lines 007 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments vac lines 001 (Small).jpg (58KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments vac lines 007 (Small).jpg (55KB - 5 downloads)
#125965 - in reply to #125962
Author
Posted 7/5/2008 10:05 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Thanks Bernie, another big help. From what you have posted, most everything is coming together now. My new hoses, by which I thought were the right ones for my truck are probably not. My old hoses, which I thought have been altered are/were correct. Yikes...you can see this pretty much mirrors that of what the W107 diagram I posted as well as what Hipine and Bram have tried to hammer in my hard head..

I posted a photo of my old hoses and drew a Monty Python looking diagram of the setup I believe now to be the correct....really this time. When I got my G none of this was hooked up and was glued/plugged and leaking.

Mike

Edited by DesertStar 7/5/2008 10:16 PM

(flyingcircus1234 [1024x768].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments flyingcircus1234 [1024x768].jpg (199KB - 8 downloads)
#125969 - in reply to #107903
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 3:21 AM
bram_r
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): 1984 MB 280GE, 1982 MB 300GD, 1986 Subaru XT 4WD
Re: 280GE M110 A/C High Idle proper function

great artistic work here, and useful too for others! And of course another step further in this A/C matter.

I had a dark hunch the new hoses you pictured earlier should have another in/outlet for the A/C bypass probably on those 'blocked spots'.
What does the EPC say when you look for these hoses with your VIN as input? Too bad you got the wrong hoses in the first place...

Anyway, see it on the bright side. You're now an expert on this and know how to connect this set/up the right way and the whole m110 inlet/vacuum system holds no secrets for you anymore. Should be easy troubleshooting and setting up your car in the future.

Good luck getting the right parts, mounting everything and adjusting your car. With all those new stuff on it, should be a reliable G.

Bram
#125975 - in reply to #107903
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 4:45 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Thanks Bram for your support...as always. I am not unhappy as I learned quite a bit in this venture. My confidence is up and I feel I can replace those hoses within 2 hours easy. The EPC shows multiple hoses, I had to choose what I thought was correct based on my observations from underneath and really not knowing the system. I also wanted to purchase ahead of time so I can replace with minimal downtime.

Word to the wise, be smart and verify which hoses you actually have, before you order, as there are many configurations based on what your G is equipped with. Sadly, the EPC did not provide clear "pictures" of the related parts.

I do not use the a/c in stop and go traffic and slow off-road trails, I generally use on highways and higher speeds over 35mph, so should not be a short term problem. Come to think of it, other than a slower idle with a/c on, it really has not posed a problem since I owned it with it not hooked up. It sure is nice to have things the way they were meant to be though.

One idea that could be derived from this thread, is if you are considering removing the intake and "cleaning things up", the addition of the hoses that have the ports for the idle speed increase may be of interest for those that want to add a winch,on-board compressor etc. One could rig up a switch inside and manually control the changeover valve to bump up idle a bit.

Bernie, when at idle in your driveway, and you activate a/c, does your rpms actually go up or does it pretty much keep the idle the same but under load ? I heard something like 80rpm increase but it would seem to need more of a bump as without the device the a/c causes my idle to lose 150-200rpm, but still hovering at 650-700.

Mike

P.S. I will take a raincheck Bernie, until you get your G back together, unless you know from memory. 

Edited by DesertStar 7/6/2008 4:56 AM
#125981 - in reply to #107903
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 5:03 AM
elevatorbernie
Expert

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280GE

DesertStar - 7/6/2008 1:45 AM
Bernie, when at idle in your driveway, and you activate a/c, does your rpms actually go up or does it pretty much keep the idle the same but under load ? I heard something like 80rpm increase but it would seem to need more of a bump as without the device the a/c causes my idle to lose 150-200rpm, but still hovering at 650-700.

Mike

My AC is broken, but I think the rpm's do increase when I run my defroster and the compressor is running. Sorry I can't run my G and check, I drained the tranny last week and have not refilled it yet; I'm still trying to sort out issues with the dipstick and tube.

Edited by elevatorbernie 7/6/2008 5:04 AM
#125982 - in reply to #125981
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 7:57 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

DesertStar - 7/5/2008 3:27 PM

Vacuum from throttle body is less than 2psi at idle and distributor seem to need 7-10psi to increase....as I applied such to distributor with Mity-Vac.

Just a thought upon a long road trip home.........I remember the movable plate in the distributor might be sticky with the old dried out distributor grease, so the needed vacuum must be higher in order to move this plate and advance the ignition timing........there might be another "little" component overhaul in your life.

Happy Sunday after the 4th
#126010 - in reply to #125962
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 8:14 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500 LWB, 1980 280GE SWB (Sold), S500

fernweh - 7/6/2008 6:57 PM
DesertStar - 7/5/2008 3:27 PM Vacuum from throttle body is less than 2psi at idle and distributor seem to need 7-10psi to increase....as I applied such to distributor with Mity-Vac.
Just a thought upon a long road trip home.........I remember the movable plate in the distributor might be sticky with the old dried out distributor grease, so the needed vacuum must be higher in order to move this plate and advance the ignition timing........there might be another "little" component overhaul in your life. Happy Sunday after the 4th :biggrin:

Is that anything like elbow grease? In all seriousness, I wondered if something might be stuck in the vacuum through the distributor - is cleaning and re greasing a difficult job?

#126011 - in reply to #126010
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 8:33 PM
fernweh

Indiana Drew - 7/6/2008 5:14 PM

DesertStar - 7/5/2008 3:27 PM Vacuum from throttle body is less than 2psi at idle and distributor seem to need 7-10psi to increase....as I applied such to distributor with Mity-Vac.
Just a thought upon a long road trip home.........I remember the movable plate in the distributor might be sticky with the old dried out distributor grease, so the needed vacuum must be higher in order to move this plate and advance the ignition timing........there might be another "little" component overhaul in your life. Happy Sunday after the 4th :biggrin:

Is that anything like elbow grease? In all seriousness, I wondered if something might be stuck in the vacuum through the distributor - is cleaning and re greasing a difficult job?

Drew,

no, that cannot happen. The vacuum pot at the distributor has a sealed diaphragm with a connecting rod attached to move the plate in the distributor.....

The little bit of grease on that plate hardens out and creates a little problem. If you take it apart, clean and re-grease it, but watch for those tiny cir clips flying away.......otherwise not a big job.
#126012 - in reply to #126011
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 8:56 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500 LWB, 1980 280GE SWB (Sold), S500

fernweh - 7/6/2008 7:33 PM
Indiana Drew - 7/6/2008 5:14 PM

Drew, no, that cannot happen. The vacuum pot at the distributor has a sealed diaphragm with a connecting rod attached to move the plate in the distributor..... The little bit of grease on that plate hardens out and creates a little problem. If you take it apart, clean and re-grease it, but watch for those tiny cir clips flying away.......otherwise not a big job. :boink:

Thx ... I'll give it a look! 

#126013 - in reply to #126012
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 9:49 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Now that's more like it!  Looks like you have it now.

Just one comment, Mike.  This may go without saying for someone with your experience, but for others following th thread later, consider this.

On that 3-port electrical vacuum swtiching valve.  It has three ports, call them A, B, and C.  When there's NO power to it you'll find A open to C and B blocked.  When you put power to it, you'll find A open to B, and C blocked.  If you do the power on/off experiment and label the ports as above by how they perform with power on and off, then you'll want to hook port A to the AC valve, port B to the vacuum supply from the lower manifold, and C to atmosphere (a good idea to put a little filter over that one to keep spiders and dirt out!)  Also a good idea to mount that switch high in the engein compartment to keep it out of the dust and mud for the same reasons.

The idea is that you want to vent the AC high idle pot to atmosphere when the switching valve is off so it returns quickly to it's closed position, and you DON'T want to vent the vacuum supply ever.

-Dave G.

#126021 - in reply to #125969
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 9:52 PM
fernweh

DesertStar - 7/5/2008 7:05 PM

Thanks Bernie, another big help. From what you have posted, most everything is coming together now. My new hoses, by which I thought were the right ones for my truck are probably not. My old hoses, which I thought have been altered are/were correct. Yikes...you can see this pretty much mirrors that of what the W107 diagram I posted as well as what Hipine and Bram have tried to hammer in my hard head..

I posted a photo of my old hoses and drew a Monty Python looking diagram of the setup I believe now to be the correct....really this time. When I got my G none of this was hooked up and was glued/plugged and leaking.

Mike

Great artwork Mike,

too bad you didn't draw something like it a bit earlier - now MB went with computers on the 2002 & up models

Karl

P.S. Thanks for your good 4th of July message
#126022 - in reply to #125969
Author
Posted 7/6/2008 9:59 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Dave, while I have your ear. Concerning Karl's comments on the distributor, at what vacuum value should it start advancing at ?  Maybe a quick lesson in the workings are in order here.  Do I have this right:

At idle there is little vacuum = no advance.

Increasing idle yields more vacuum = more advance

Gwagen approaching/ ascending a long hill or grade gives even more vacuum (under load) = max advance

What is tell-tale sign of the advance not working properly...especially on an already sluggish motor.

Mike 

#126024 - in reply to #107903
Author
Posted 7/7/2008 12:48 PM
hipine

Maybe a new thread would be in order, but the simple approach is kind of the opposite of what you describe.  The engine has its greatest vacuum at idle.  The throttle plate is closed and the engine pulling against it is what "makes" vacuum.  As soon as you open the throttle you have less vacuum because air starts flowing into the engine past the throttle plate.  Vacuum advance gets less and less as throttle opening increases.  Some cars also have a centrifugal advance that takes over at some point to advance timing with RPM increase, but in the G that function is most likely done by the spark box reading RPM from the crank sensor.

Some other things that can effect how an individual system works are where the vacuum is ported to and from.  If you see no vacuum on the yellow line at idle, it means the vacuum to that side of the pot on the dizzy is ported from above the throtle plate.  In this case you'd see vacuum on that line jump up as you come off idle, and then drop as the plate opens farther and farther.  Vacuum lines going to BOTH sides of the vacuum pot on the dizzy means that the system is using that system to retard the timing as well as to advance it under various conditions.

Our Gs were made during the sort of "dark ages" of engine control when they were trying to perform some alchemy and bring the engine under finer and finer control using old time methods.  They pretty quickly figured out that they were beyond the capabliities of vacuum lines and temperature sensors to achieve the control they desired and moved into computer control of spark timing, EGR position, and fuel delivery, among other things.  In order to figure out just how the system on the G works (beyond the basics above), the best thing would be to have a description from a workshop manual.  I don't see anything about it in the G manuals I have.  Maybe an M110 in a car from about '79 would be close.

-Dave G.

#126062 - in reply to #126024
Author
Posted 7/7/2008 1:03 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Thanks Dave. I did have it backwards and found my mistake while reading the Bosch Management book. Your explanation is more clear, however. I also reviewed the M110 configurations for vacuum on the sedans....geez there are quite a few.

Edit: I finally sorted this, as I was checking vacuum at wrong port.  I am all better now.

Mike

Edited by DesertStar 7/7/2008 2:33 PM
#126063 - in reply to #107903
Author
Posted 7/7/2008 2:41 PM
hipine

DesertStar - 7/7/2008 11:03 AM ....  I am all better now....

Glad to hear it!  By 1980 the days of being able to intuitively understand engine management systems from a quick look and a basic understanding of things were fast departing.  The computerization of things was a definite improvement over those convoluted electro-mechanical means, IMHO.  At least when I opened the hood ans saw only black boxes, sensors, and motors I KNEW I didn't stand a chance of knowing how it worked without a book and could save myself the "figure this out" time.

All the best,

-Dave G.

#126066 - in reply to #126063
Author
Posted 7/11/2008 11:39 PM
fernweh

DesertStar - 7/7/2008 10:03 AM

I am all better now.

Mike

OK, we understand.......but how is G-wagen doing?

Like to hear/see the latest update

Karl
#126515 - in reply to #126063
Author
Posted 7/14/2008 1:29 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Drew, from the photo (on this message number that I am replying to) it looks like your distributor has two vacuum lines going to it, while mine has the one. You show that yellow line going back to distributor...like on the bottom ? Yours being older, probably has vac ports for both retarding and advancing distributor for various conditions. Interesting, I did not catch that bit as I was troubleshooting mine. Hipine, for curiousity, did your dizzy have two vac ports ?

Mike

P.S. Karl, my G is doing fine, keeping it inside the garage away from all that California smoke.  

Edited by DesertStar 7/14/2008 1:31 AM
#126685 - in reply to #125937
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 4 of 6 123456