Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : Classic Mercedes-Benz : Query regarding 420 sec (1986) - Help please !!

Page 1 of 1 1
Query regarding 420 sec (1986) - Help please !!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/26/2008 2:27 AM
mr tumness

Date registered: Dec 1899
Query regarding 420 sec (1986) - Help please !!

Hello,

I am a brand new owner of the above vehicle and have no experience of classic cars. (You have to start somewhere). Anyway I'd be grateful if anyone could help with a query. The oil pressure gauge is dropping from the top level slightly when in the lower gears (and wobbling a bit) but as soon as I accelerate or put into neutral it goes to 3 (the top of the gauge) again. What's causing this and should I be concerned with this?

Thanks
Al
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/27/2008 10:36 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz
RE: Query regarding 420 sec (1986) - Help please !!

That's characteristic of an old (worn) engine where the clearances have enlarged over the years. I've seen worse. The fact that it returns to '3' under acceleration and especially (and a bit surprisingly) at idle is a good sign. So... how many miles does the car have? Did you get its service history? How clean is the oil? Will you share photos? We like the V-8 coupes. Congrats & Welcome

PS: Also check out the W126 forum on this site... there are some knowledgeable contributors in there, off and on..

#136942 - in reply to #136854
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1