Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : How to remove roof side beading strip

Page 1 of 1 1
How to remove roof side beading strip
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 7:54 AM
petermerle
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): W460 *1, W123 *2, W124
How to remove roof side beading strip

How do you remove the roof black beading that goes arround the roof? Mine is on very solid and does not budge.
Peter
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 8:13 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: How to remove roof side beading strip

petermerle - 5/7/2006 7:54 AM

How do you remove the roof black beading that goes arround the roof? Mine is on very solid and does not budge.
Peter

It's on there with double sided adhesive trim tape. Good luck!
#10232 - in reply to #10227
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 8:33 AM
MazWest
Veteran

Vehicle(s): E220T, 250GD LWB Wolf
RE: How to remove roof side beading strip

Peter,

It is my experience that it's almost impossible to remove it in a condition where it can be reinstalled. I did remove it during the restoration of my truck. (there was a considerable amount of corrosion underneath) It seems like it just snaps on. It's possible that the factory even used a tool which crimps it tightly on the lip underneath. The individual pieces are connected with small connectors which have the same form as the longer pieces and snap over the top. The front most pieces which are on either side of the windscreen are held on with small pop rivets. These are rather easy to reinstall.

After my repair, I decided not to reinstall these pieces as they serve no purpose other than trim. Cosmetic, I should say. The front pieces, I did reinstall. When my truck hits 25 years old, I may re-evaluate this situation.

I believe that a roof rack could still be easily installed even if these pieces are left off.

Richard
#10244 - in reply to #10227
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 10:54 AM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: How to remove roof side beading strip

Peter,

On my '85 SWB there is a clip that hides the joint between the side and rear sections. It is similar to the clip that hides the joint in the center rear. These hook the top and snap down to install them so they must be pryed out from below to release them. Once they are removed the rear sections with the curved ends slide out to each side of the truck. On my machine, the piece of trim covering the joint where the long side meets the section to the side of the windscreen or windshield, (at the upper front) have small pop rivits that must be drilled out to release them. Once they are free the side long trim sections clip over much like the joint cover clips. The trim that covers the windscreen edge joint is also pop rivited at the bottom. It goes together the same way it came off but requires careful line-up for the rivits holes. Mine are in good shape and there was no rust under them. They did not distort when I removed them, the trim is well made and strong. Work to free the long strip by prying slightly along the whole thing a little at a time. If it is just attacked from one end it might be bent beyond reuse. Use some sort of plastic or wood to protect the paint work and provide a lever purchace to work the lower edge out. I hope this helps. Good luck.

-Dai
#10273 - in reply to #10227
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 12:46 PM
petermerle
Expert

Vehicle(s): W460 *1, W123 *2, W124
Re: How to remove roof side beading strip

Thanks Guys ,
PEter