Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Rust below windshield

Page 1 of 1 1
Rust below windshield
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 10:11 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,
Rust below windshield

I just cleaned the Gwagen for the first time in months, and discovered that I have a dime-size bubble in the paint immediately below the center of the front windshield, right at the rubber. Is that a known problem? Is it difficult to pop the windshield out? I can't fix it with the rubber there. Any advice welcome.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 10:40 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Rust below windshield

I thought the common spot for rust was in the seam near the bottom left and right of the windsheild. I've got a spot on each side. The truck (a 96) came with them when I got it, they haven't grown over time.

I'd guess that the windshield installer nicked the paint during installation. Sea air can be murder on hidden cavities and troughs. Back when I lived in La Jolla, my beater station wagon had a well ventilated raingutter.
#10990 - in reply to #10979
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 10:46 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Rust below windshield

When I bought my G it had a similar problem. I saw two small areas like what you describe near the seal. I didn't want a rust issue under the rubber and there was a water coming into the truck from somewhere around the seal. I connected with a body shop and got a bid for R+R the windshield, stopping any rust and repainting the area from the body seam below the windshield to the roof. When it was taken apart the issues were very small and not in under the seal, just right up to it. The paint match was easy and the job was great. I would do it the same way again even though the problem wasn't more than the small bubble rust areas, the only rust on the truck. The seal I used was the new one for the current G's. It fits correctly. The tech that installed the windshield used a compound between the body and the rubber seal different than from the seal to the glass. It doesn't leak at all. I would say if you go this route to repair your problem look for a shop that has Glasurit or BASF paint to accurately match it. The shop I used came out with a paint chip with the right code and layed it on the hood and it disappeared. I'm game for most repair work but when it comes to body, paint and glass installation I will pay professionals. Oregon weather challenges seals and the people who get it right around here are worth every penny.

-Dai
#10996 - in reply to #10979
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 11:11 PM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

I have had a very small spot about 1-2cm below the windshield & seal. It has been there since I purchased the truck and has not grown any.
I haven't wanted to admit to anything like this just in case I wanted to sell my truck in the future. You guys on this site can be REALLY critical sometimes!
#11011 - in reply to #10979
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 12:19 AM
martin
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 99 G500 95 E300D 95 R1100GS 06 K1200R
RE: Rust below windshield

I, too, have small bubbles of rust on both left and rights sides of the base of the windshield frame. The rust doesn't appear to be spreading despite the fact that I park the G outside and my close proximity to the sea. BTW, I wasn't aware that Glasurit was used on G-wagens from the 80's era. You learn something new everyday!
#11064 - in reply to #10979
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 2:19 AM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

I can't say that Glasurit was exactly what the truck was painted with in '85 but that paint system, BASF and similar European paint have what it takes to do the matching. This is true with BMW '80's vintage airhead motorcycles as well. Really great paint.

-Dai
#11118 - in reply to #11064
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1