Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class Treffens & Other G-Class Events : Any Midwestern G-Events?

Page 1 of 1 1
Any Midwestern G-Events?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/17/2009 9:47 PM
tj4tj4
Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle(s): G550 (2014); G55 (Europa 2000)
Any Midwestern G-Events?

Newbie here, wondering if there are ever any Midwestern events. Ohio anybody?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/17/2009 11:56 PM
fernweh

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
RE: Any Midwestern G-Events?

Sorry,

to far to drive for me.......but a good reason to start a little outing with fellow G-men from the local area out there.
#155667 - in reply to #155663
Author
Posted 8/18/2009 7:54 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

tj4tj4 - 8/17/2009 9:47 PM

Newbie here, wondering if there are ever any Midwestern events. Ohio anybody?

There are a few forum members scattered through the area. The best way to make an event happen is to schedule one yourself and announce it. There are basically four different forums where you can spread the news. Hopefully, you'll get a few bites.
#155682 - in reply to #155663
Author
Posted 9/17/2009 11:22 AM
tj4tj4
Veteran

MidWest Treffen -- Any Interest in OHIO in May/June 2010?

No commitment required, but just want to see what sort of interest there would be in a Midwest Treffen.

Here's my idea. There is a place call The Wilds (http://www.thewilds.org) in Zanesville, SouthEastern Ohio, that has an actual safari (yeah, really, something like 20 different African species including cheetas, zebras and rhinos, oh my!) that you can see here (http://www.thewilds.org/what/animal_species.asp).

Well, in addition to the safari (about a half-day event in covered or uncovered trucks, sorry can't use your own G, I already asked), they have a half-day off-road course that is used regularly by the local LR clubs (http://www.thewilds.org/things/off_road_course.asp). By no means will this likely compare with anything on either coast, so don't come expecting Ohio's Moab, come expecting some hills, water and rocks, and a buncha Gs.

Nonetheless, the Wilds opens for business on weekends in the May, so I figured people could arrive Friday evening, do the safari and the course all day Saturday, then hang out Sunday morning in town (lots of B&Bs, an artists colony, famous Y-shaped bridge and shopping, for those into that sort of thing). I haven't looking into camping accommodations yet, but I'm jonesing for an excuse to get a roof-rack and tent).

We would have to pay $500 to rent the course for a day (could run two groups if enough interest, flip-flop the safari and the course for the 2nd half), and people pay for their own safari tickets (less than $20) and they can cater lunch ($12-15). So we'd probably want at least 10 vehicles, maybe 20 people to spread the costs around so it's affordable for everyone.

I just looked at the site, there is a whole write-up about the "Green Oval Guild" (http://greenovalguild.com/joomla/) and how they get sponsored by the local LR dealerships--somehow I doubt there would be enough interest by a MB dealership, but maybe it's worth asking. Anybody buy a new G from a local dealership lately?

Regardless of sponsorship, who's interested?

Andrew (& Jennie, though she's anti-camping) = 2
#157373 - in reply to #155663
Author
Posted 9/17/2009 2:47 PM
gbenzer
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle(s): 2007 G-500, 2017 Audi Q7
RE: MidWest Treffen -- Any Interest in OHIO in May/June 2010?

That sounds like fun! I'll be in Dayton May 14-15, 2010 and it would fit my plans to go to The Wilds 15-16 for fun. It looks like they have some nice accomodations according to their web site, too. Wx at that time of year is usually cool and wet so I'm sure the trail would be interesting.
#157391 - in reply to #157373
Author
Posted 10/3/2009 3:17 AM
1986.280ge

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: MidWest Treffen -- Any Interest in OHIO in May/June 2010?

I live just over the river from cincinnati. If you haven't been to Black Mountain in Evarts, KY you are really missing out! It is located 3.5 hours south of Cincinnati. Look it up, it's one of the best 4x4 off road parks in the country. It used to be a coal producer, and had roads everywhere. Now there are trails that take you 3300 feet in vertical elevation. The views are incredible. The terrain is from beginner-expert. You can have an amazing trip and it won't cost you much at all. I believe it's 20 bucks a year for a membership. I've taken my G down there and ran with a few rubicons. I was essentially their tour guide for the day. They had an excellent time and drove nearly 9 hours from chicago. They were so thrilled they were talking about coming back before they saw half of the 8000 acres of charted trails!! I will be heading down there next thursday friday and saturday. I also ride a dirtbike to cover the terrain in a more efficient manner.. I know the mountain pretty well, one of the days I will probably take the g into the mountain, or maybe two?
#158045 - in reply to #157373
Author
Posted 10/3/2009 3:19 AM
1986.280ge

ohh and every year in october they have the Fall Crawl, i've never been but i hear that it's the best time to see some really exotic machines crawl up some impossible boulders. Of course there are also some hilbilly concoctions as well, but it's all a ton of fun!!
#158046 - in reply to #157373
Author
Posted 10/6/2009 1:57 AM
1986.280ge

Re: Any Midwestern G-Events?

i live minutes from cincinnati. I am interested in either black mountain(which i have been too in my g). Or I have also heard that there is a place near Indy that has a nice off road park....let me know if you know anywhere that is off road and wide enough to take your g. There is one other place called big rock. It's down in maysville KY probably a bit over an hour from cinci. I am not sure if they still allow trucks or not, but i am sure that there is alot of terrain to explore.
#158201 - in reply to #155663
Author
Posted 12/26/2009 2:06 PM
tj4tj4
Veteran

1986.280ge - 10/3/2009 3:17 AM

I live just over the river from cincinnati. If you haven't been to Black Mountain in Evarts, KY you are really missing out! It is located 3.5 hours south of Cincinnati. Look it up, it's one of the best 4x4 off road parks in the country. It used to be a coal producer, and had roads everywhere. Now there are trails that take you 3300 feet in vertical elevation. The views are incredible. The terrain is from beginner-expert. You can have an amazing trip and it won't cost you much at all. I believe it's 20 bucks a year for a membership. I've taken my G down there and ran with a few rubicons. I was essentially their tour guide for the day. They had an excellent time and drove nearly 9 hours from chicago. They were so thrilled they were talking about coming back before they saw half of the 8000 acres of charted trails!! I will be heading down there next thursday friday and saturday. I also ride a dirtbike to cover the terrain in a more efficient manner.. I know the mountain pretty well, one of the days I will probably take the g into the mountain, or maybe two?

Man, count me in. I'm getting a tent for the top of my G this spring and would love to make a long weekend of it.
#162700 - in reply to #158045
Author
Posted 2/12/2010 9:01 PM
mperkins14

Vehicle(s): '00 G500 LWB, BMW 325i, '71 R75/5 moto

I could be persuaded here perhaps to join you all if it comes together (Ohio safari, or Black Mt, KY). I'm in Washington, DC but could be in for the venture. Let me know. -M
#166253 - in reply to #155663
Author
Posted 2/13/2010 12:49 PM
gbenzer
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2007 G-500, 2017 Audi Q7

It seems there is beginning to be some interest in a G-et together in May in the midwest. Who can spear-head the deal? It is just 3 months away. It is time to make reservations and check schedules. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I'll be in the area in mid May and would love to have an event to go to. I'm in south Georgia and haven't been to any of the places mentioned so I'm not really much help in organizing things but I am willing to help.
#166307 - in reply to #155663
Author
Posted 2/17/2010 8:16 PM
Woody
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): '84 280GE -> 300GD turbo, '84 300SD veg, 06 Navion

1986.280ge - 10/5/2009 10:57 PM

i live minutes from cincinnati. I am interested in either black mountain(which i have been too in my g). Or I have also heard that there is a place near Indy that has a nice off road park....let me know if you know anywhere that is off road and wide enough to take your g. There is one other place called big rock. It's down in maysville KY probably a bit over an hour from cinci. I am not sure if they still allow trucks or not, but i am sure that there is alot of terrain to explore.

Hey Brett,

Please fill in your profile with your location and the vehicle you own. It helps us help you better!

Now then, someone (maybe the OP?) should take the role of organizer for this event, it sounds like fun but a bit too far away for me. I'll participate vicariously, if you all promise to post trip reports and photos.

Thanks again and welcome to P3!
#166638 - in reply to #158201
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1