Page 1 of 2 12
lol.. trade in
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 9:36 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
lol.. trade in

So i have been talking to this lady about a truck, here is the email we have sent back and forth. You all will get a kick out of this.

Hillary,

would you be interested in a 2002 Mercedes G500 as a trade in. It has 57K miles. black on black, tow package, brush gaurd, head light gaurds, and turn signal gaurds, 6 disk changer, heated seats, etc.

Note in the pictures there are two dents on the passanger side.

Hey Shawn,
I really dont have the market for a Mercedes, however I would be willing to trade. Straight out price on the dually is $ 27900.00 . Let me know as soon as possible if you are interested.

Hillary,
Thanks for the reply

If we where to trade how much money would i get back.

Thanks
Shawn

Shawn
I think you would probably be better selling your Mercedes out right instead of trading it. The value of your Mercedes is about 18-19,000.00. I really dont have the market for it anyway but thats the book value of your truck. My price that I quoted you yesterday still stands on my truck. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Hillary,
I think you have may have looked at the wrong car, or did you mean to say the value of the G is $18-19K plus your truck?
Thanks
Shawn

Shawn,
I looked at both NADA and Kelley Blue Book and the value as listed is $ 18000.00 that is not even deducting for high mileage. Please dont take that as an insult. I may have misfigured, so you are more than welcome to check for yourself. Retail for the car is $22,500.00 not including high mileage DEDUCTION. Please let me know if you are still interested in the Dually. Thanks and have a great day !

Hillary, thank for everthing but you are looking at the wrong car.
Its a Merceredes G500. Here is what KBB says on it in.
Condition Value
Excellent $40,100
Good $37,995
(selected)
Fair $34,105

thanks again for everthing.

So needless to say i dont htink we will be doing anytrading lol...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 9:52 AM
Thai

Re: lol.. trade in

Have you looked at the new FJ Cruiser?? It should be an even trade for your lemon G.
#11486 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 3:03 PM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

Thai - 5/12/2006 7:52 AM

Have you looked at the new FJ Cruiser??

That would be my question to you Thai That thing is much smaller than the G, doesn't have decent rear access for those dealing with car seats and is just plain UGLY Hurts my eyes to look at them
#11569 - in reply to #11486
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 3:26 PM
KERR

RE: lol.. trade in

Yea they are real small, not to mention the fact i have seen 6 of them just today.

Thai, every time some one mentiones a new car, suv, or truck you 100000000 % toyota, Dont get me wrong i love them too, and have had 4 yotas down threw the years. So my question is why did you over pay for a G when you could have had a cruizer?

#11572 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:01 PM
Thai

KERR - 5/12/2006 2:26 PM

Yea they are real small, not to mention the fact i have seen 6 of them just today.

Thai, every time some one mentiones a new car, suv, or truck you 100000000 % toyota, Dont get me wrong i love them too, and have had 4 yotas down threw the years. So my question is why did you over pay for a G when you could have had a cruizer?

It's so strange...on a Toyota forum, i get accused of favoring my G and not showing Toyota any love. On a G forum, i get accused of favoring Toyota and Jeep Rubicon. Strange, isn't it? Maybe i am not blinded by brand loyalty. I appreciate each vehicle for it's purpose.

What is the intended purpose of G vs. LX470? If i were mainly on-road driver with a few camping sites to go to, then LX makes more sense. However, for me, i need something with more rock solid off-road capability because i do take my rig off-road. But, i also want some creature comforts. What better vehicle to fill that need than a G?! This is also why i did not get a Jeep Rubicon. Nor a Range Rover.

If you were to ask me: G vs. TLC/LX470...then you know what i prefer. However, recently, this is NOT the question being asked. You recently commented on a SUV around $54K...and you prefer Denali. I told you that i prefer TLC or GX470...who wouldn't prefer those SUVs over a Denali?!

In this thread, you asked about trading in your '02 G for a truck and you mentioned that your G is now worth $35K or so. So, i mention what is available around that price that is also unique. And since YOU have mentioned how shitty your lemon G is in terms of reliability, i think that Toyota is a good fit for you after your misadventure. Is that so unreasonable for me to come to that conclusion?? I would recommend a 4runner, but i see that you also like something unique and you would not want to go from G to 4runner (major downgrade)...thus, my recommendation to check out the FJC.

I hope that you see my points. I am NOT bashing G. Why would i do that?? In fact, i would find it more offensive that you attempted to trade your G for an American truck!

Edited by Thai 5/12/2006 4:09 PM
#11587 - in reply to #11572
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:08 PM
Thai

Also, what is wrong with Toyota/Lexus? They make fine trucks and SUVs. Sure, their trucks are not as good as G, but they are better than the other SUVs offered by MB (ML, GL, R-class, etc.). Let's face it, it's true.

Don't hate me because i appreciate other brands. I love my G to death! But i can also appreciate my other cars in my garage too!

Edited by Thai 5/12/2006 4:17 PM
#11588 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:17 PM
Thai

Brent - 5/12/2006 2:03 PM

Thai - 5/12/2006 7:52 AM

Have you looked at the new FJ Cruiser??

That would be my question to you Thai That thing is much smaller than the G, doesn't have decent rear access for those dealing with car seats and is just plain UGLY Hurts my eyes to look at them :wave:

Smaller? I am not too sure about that. It is only about 1.5" shorter than our G. It is wider than our G. It is not as tall. Overall, exterior size is not that much different...it just looks smaller because there is only 2 main doors.

Rear room and cargo room are less, i agree with you. But, if you have just one kid, i don't think that it's much of an issue. It does have suicide doors to help with rear access.
#11589 - in reply to #11569
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:17 PM
KERR

no hate here. I was just wondering why you dont have a curizer with lockers, and 33's under it

Main reason we dont have a cruizer is the wife thinks they are ugly and the drink the fuel.
#11590 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:18 PM
Thai

KERR - 5/12/2006 3:17 PM
the drink the fuel.

And the G does not?? Or the Denali?? I can guarantee you that both drinks more fuel than GX or TLC or FJC.

Why would i need to modify a LX/TLC when i can get all that STANDARD in a G?? And i do exercise those lockers frequently...in fact, TOMORROW is our off-roading event. And there will a FJC present too!

Edited by Thai 5/12/2006 4:21 PM
#11591 - in reply to #11590
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:21 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

I've convinced myself that Toyota is paying people in my area to drive FJ cruisers, I must have seen at least 30 of them in the past few weeks, all with the same dealer plates and all nice and clean, as though they just came out of a dealership carwash...:)
#11592 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:42 PM
AsianML

LOL, what did she say to that last one?
#11605 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 5:28 PM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)

Kerr, that's hilarious. LOL. What was her response?

Regarding the FJ cruiser - it's actually based on a shortened platform of the current Land Cruiser. I like to think of it as a "soft-roader" SUV. A while back, I had the opportunity to rent a 4Runner.

The 4Runner's front hood is just cheap. Before returning the car, I put it through a $6.00 car wash. When the heat from the air dryers above turned on, the front hood (though latched) kept popping in and out as if it was made from thin, cheap plastic. I could even hear the noise!

Now the LC's engine is, IMHO, underpowered for such a heavy SUV. Tap the gas and the car lurches forward and then immediately stops. I didn't find it possible to coast in the LC. And I never cared much for the Highlander (minivan), RAV4 (ultra small SUV) or Sequoia (too big).

Thankfully Jeep and MB are still around. And I've my eye on a certain GC:
http://www.aev-conversions.com/Gallery_WK.html
#11618 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 5:50 PM
Thai

BrentG500 - 5/12/2006 4:28 PM

Kerr, that's hilarious. LOL. What was her response?

Regarding the FJ cruiser - it's actually based on a shortened platform of the current Land Cruiser. I like to think of it as a "soft-roader" SUV. A while back, I had the opportunity to rent a 4Runner.

The 4Runner's front hood is just cheap.

Now the LC's engine is, IMHO, underpowered for such a heavy SUV.

Thankfully Jeep and MB are still around. And I've my eye on a certain GC:
http://www.aev-conversions.com/Gallery_WK.html

FJ is a soft off-roader?? What does Jeep (or MB for that matter) make that is more capable than FJC besides Rubicon (and G)?? Besides our G, what else has MB done for the off-roading market?? Didn't MB threatened to pull the plug on it's ONLY off-roader?? (Note: i would not consider Unimog because it's too extreme.)

If you think that 4runner's hood is cheap, then i can't wait for you to sit in a Jeep! In a car wash, your average Jeep would be flooded from the leaking sunroof! Let's face it...Jeep has nothing over Toyota in terms of quality, reliability, or durability.

You're right about TLC's engine being underpowered. No arguments there.

Highlander serves it's purpose...a car-based SUV for Camry owners wanting more cargo space (my fiance) but no kids yet to need minivan. RAV4 has grown considerably...to become a big small-ute...it will probably give the M-class a run for the money in regards to interior room and overall packaging.

At least, Toyota still makes most of their SUVs with body-on-frame designs, solid rear axles, and low range. Can you say the same about DCX?? Honestly, out of all the stuff DCX has come out with, i ONLY respect two: G500 and Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon.

Edited by Thai 5/12/2006 5:52 PM
#11623 - in reply to #11618
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 6:29 PM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)

Jeep? Flooded sunroof? I've a Wrangler and I know it's cheap. To be frank, it's what I expect from Jeep. Thankfully, there's GOBS of aftermarket companies who can help the consumer outfit the car with quality parts.

Cheapness is not something I've come to expect from Toyota - especially since Toyota has a wonderful reputation for making some really great cars. So yes, I was disappointed when the hood was popping - and again, not because it was popping, but because it was a Toyota and it was popping.

The new GC has IFS, but retains the solid rear axle. I'm not sure about the upcoming Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited and cannot comment on how good they will be until I get a chance to drive either one. The SUVs/trucks in the DCX family that earn my respect are the G500, the Grand Cherokee, the Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi and the current Wrangler.

The M-class, R-class and GL-class are . I cannot speak regarding the FJC because I've never driven the new one and have no idea how well it performs. However, it looks like an overgrown marshmellow or a fattened 45 year old.
#11633 - in reply to #11623
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 8:38 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

the one thing that just (almost literally) hits me in the face every time i get in someone elses vehicle is the shear lack of headroom. I always feel claustrophobic in everyone elses car now. I don't like riding in other peoples cars anymore... i feel like i'm stuffed down inside them and then the roof is coming down from above too. I like feeling like i'm sitting on top of a tank with lots of headroom. I'm doomed! I don't know what i'm gonna do if ever there comes a day i need a replacement
#11657 - in reply to #11633
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 11:28 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

I drove the FJC last week. Very, dissapointed. It reminded me of an H3 from inside, but an even bigger disaster of incongruent styling. And I just won't even start on the exterior, else I start to puke. I like the H3 much better by the way, and I hated the H3.

Why oh why can't a company like Toyota take an off the shelf sure-fire success and just bring it here. Say, like the 75 series Cruiser. What's the dang deal? are we that warped that we actually want something like the FJC?

The only real alternative to the G as far as a new production is the Rubicon, H3 and the LR3. None really impress me like my 2000 G500 does though.

Just throwing my crappy opinion in.

Garret

Edited by G4Garret 5/12/2006 11:32 PM
#11684 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/13/2006 1:54 PM

Come on guys...The FJ isn't that bad..!! It totally hits the market they(Toyota) wanted to secure. In fact I would bet the demographic is much broader than they expected. BUT it is not a G, however for a $ for $ switch with no cash outlay, why not..?

Yes, I agree not all the design elements are perfect but what is..? Overall it is a pretty solid ride for $30K. In 4x4 that is..! As for resale and reliability, I am sure it will do well. However that is as long as it is not built in the states. Recently the Toyota Avalon sedan, has had a major article written about it and it's poor build quality and other issues in a AutomotiveNews article. Toyota is not happy and all over it, and I am sure it will be corrected.

As for Thai, he is certainly an enthusiast...! Good observations and quite active in forums. We all contribute in our own ways. Keep up the good work. Oh, and kerr, dump the G and I hope you find something you like. I too had an 02' and mine was very good. Hope my next G is too.

JMO's....

Thanks Dutch for correcting my logon on issue..! I'm back as you can see
#11845 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/13/2006 10:58 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

500, i think garrett and i might be in the same boat, which is sadness that this thing could actually be popular. I'd like to just think it's idiots in marketing gone wrong... or the reality of a vehicle taken from a design house and then developed for actual productin... in which most of redeeming quality get valued out, but it is ugly with the pontiac aztec and the likes of some of isuzu's worst. It's styling is juvenile. An H2 with neutral colors and a body colored grill (i've seen a few now where the grill isn't chrome) is more mature.

I would feel better in a honday element... Some people think the G is really ugly, but at least when they get in they have a real treat with the big windows and the view of the road. It's very redeeming in that way. Supposedly the honday ridgeline isn't selling that well... and it's downright gorgeous compared to this... maybe people really do like "different"... they just have no aeshetic sense.

One of the things that makes many vehicles annoying to me is that they aren't small yet they still manage to have no space inside. The G is the same footprint, if not smaller than vehicles like the toureg and this FJ, but if you look inside those vehicles, it shocking how little space is in them when you get used to a looking into the back of g-wagen. The volvo xc90 actually has a fair bit of room in it, but... well...
#11982 - in reply to #11845
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 12:50 PM
KERR

she didnt have a lot to say on the last e mail. just said she was sorry they didnt know what a G500 was and there is no possiable way they can trade on that lol...

#12519 - in reply to #11485
Author
Posted 5/16/2006 11:19 PM
belosch

jeep needs to start making this with their new cdi diesel:

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/concept_cars/gladiator/

stupid jeep, wake up and smell the consumerism!
#13298 - in reply to #11485
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12