Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Overheating typical or Atypical

Page 1 of 1 1
Overheating typical or Atypical
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 12:32 PM
Adoni
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4
Overheating typical or Atypical

So I have to ask, yesterday it was about 92 degrees here and I had to run down the hill from the office to take the car to my buddy's shop to finish the body work he is performing. Even on the freeway, the car was running quite hot, almost 3/4 of the way to red. As I got stuck in traffic, the heat climbed a bit higher, thinking on my feet, I cranked on the heater, thinking to disappate some of the heat through the vehicle. I had the windows open anyways, so it didn't really matter. Once I got to my buddies shop, I turned off the car, let it sit for a bit and went inside. About 10 minutes later I tried to start the car, wasnt going to happen, wouldnt even attempt to turn over. We pushed the G into his garage and left it there, I called this morning ans the car started just fine. Does the thermostat on the car prevent it from starting when the engine reads a specific heat? Are 280's known for having problems in higher climates. Once I get the car, I intend to perform a radiator flush and refill with a high quality coolant. Does anyone have a coolant they recommend for "extreme" conditions? My real concern is hunting in Red Bluff around the first week of September, when I will be climbing up and down steep off road grades, in temperatures approaching 100-105 degrees. The last thing I want is for the car to overheat out there and have to catch a ride back to camp on a 4-wheeler.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 1:57 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Overheating typical or Atypical

It shouldn't overheat. Figuring out why will take work. Possible candidates include one (or likely more than one) of plugged up radiator, scale in the passages, bad thermostat (or no thermostat), bad fan clutch, engine timing, restricted exhaust, low cooling fluid. Have at it. Properly sorted out it should run cool.
#11540 - in reply to #11513
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 2:21 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Re: Overheating typical or Atypical

In addition to what Alan just mentioned: For a coolant, I recommend Texaco brand Dex Cool or equivalent. The coolant is the orange color one that you mix 50/50 with water.
#11549 - in reply to #11513
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:23 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

I believe Texaco brands go under the Chevron brand out here in California as Texaco is a subsidiary of the Chevron nameplate, (a product of the old 7 Sisters I believe). Can anyone confirm this?
#11595 - in reply to #11513
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 5:03 PM
Ernest T Bass

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Overheating typical or Atypical

As far as I am aware the 280 GE temp gauge can range anywhere between just before the centre and the beginning of red zone. Only when it enters the red is there cause for concern. So unless it goes into the he red there should be no cause for concern.

You should have the right amount of anti-freeze in the radiator which is normally around 50%, any less will reduce the boiling point of the coolant. Any more will reduce cooling efficiency.

If you are really concerned about temperature you could try Redline water wetter which will reduce the temperature.

All of the above is only applicable if the cooling system is in good condition.
#11608 - in reply to #11513
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 7:10 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

AlanMcR - 5/12/2006 10:57 AM

It shouldn't overheat. Figuring out why will take work. Possible candidates include one (or likely more than one) of plugged up radiator, scale in the passages, bad thermostat (or no thermostat), bad fan clutch, engine timing, restricted exhaust, low cooling fluid. Have at it. Properly sorted out it should run cool.

Yes Alan, just short before our trip to Anza Borego I did change the radiator, the old one was very restricted and could not be cleaned - it had turbolators in the tubes?- much better temp control with the new $950.00 radiator.......Check for the correct radiator cap also!

Karl
#11641 - in reply to #11540
Author
Posted 5/13/2006 9:11 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo

After much trouble shooting ( and replacing just about everything) I finally bit the bullet and had my radiator recored $320. I had them put in the straight veins instead of the crimped ones for better cooling. It now stays around the middle mark with little fluctuation. Also if not yet mentioned poor grounding can cause gauge issues.

Mark
#11784 - in reply to #11513
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1