Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Largest Hummer to Go the Way of the Dodo

Page 1 of 1 1
Largest Hummer to Go the Way of the Dodo
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/13/2006 4:40 PM
Mopagi
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2005 G55K GE
Largest Hummer to Go the Way of the Dodo

Let's hope MB does not bail on the G.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/13/automobiles/13hummer.html
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/13/2006 5:24 PM
mcshin

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Largest Hummer to Go the Way of the Dodo

$150 to fill the tanks? I feel rich in comparison. I'm supersizing my next happy meal.
#11896 - in reply to #11882
Author
Posted 5/16/2006 2:32 PM
KERR

they must have upgraded the tanks at some point. not sure where they got the 51 gallons of diesel. Susans only held 18G on each tank but hers was a 01 model.

Anyway that sucks, i love the H1, maybe now they will be cheap and i can get one
#13101 - in reply to #11882
Author
Posted 5/16/2006 10:35 PM
belosch

RE: Largest Hummer to Go the Way of the Dodo

I owned one for a while, fun truck. Never really had anything fail on it mechanically other than the air conditioning. It just wasn't really a great vehicle for city living and it was a pain getting service done on it in my neck of the woods when I owned it.

Mine had dual tanks, held about 80-90 gallons of diesel. I have thought about getting another old diesel (if i move someplace non-urban like I want to) one as a beater just because i liked it alot and the older ones are pretty easy to work on. I miss the range it had, it was really nice for long trips going about 800 miles between fillups. I have been interested in getting an easy to work on diesel truck for a while though and converting it to biofuels, just dont really have the space for that project now.
#13284 - in reply to #11882
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 2:25 AM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed
RE: Largest Hummer to Go the Way of the Dodo - a little off topic but...

Some of you might recall that I was married just two years ago after my significant other died two years before that. My wife is wonderful, and her (our) adult kids are great. The extended family is filled with very interesting folks. Her father and his siblings live in every corner of the country, each extremely unique and very functional, even in what is now, their later years.

Last month one of these siblings phoned (she is 85 years old) to say that she had a little fender bender. "Just a small bump of another car...", which happened when she pulled back into the right hand lane following a pass on a two way, four lane street in a suburb near a large eastern city.

The 85 year old auntie was not aware that she had clipped the sedan, and continue to drive. Within a few miles of the "accident", a police car, with lights flashing caught her attention. She pulled off the road to see what the officer wanted.

He told her that she had clipped the car as she had executed the pass, and that he needed to see her insurance and license, etc. He gave her a ticket and told her that he would have to drive her home, and have her car removed by a tow truck. He vehicle had no damage, by the way.

She kept telling this story to me, and I had no idea what kind of car she was driving, as she just kept referring to it as "the old beater". Finally, after she told me that she was ordered to have a driving test AND and mental status examine, I asked her why they are doing this? She said it had something to do with her vehicle not being appropriate for her and that she was not making good judgements about her choice of cars. Naturally I was eager to know what kind of car we are talking about. It was then that I learned that Auntie B. drives as her most often used "car" a 1995 or 1996 Hummer diesel.

Her husband died a few months back and left her with several cars. He had been an adventurer and told her that she should drive the Hummer since it would be the safest car in an accident. So, for the months leading up to her accident, she had been driving this thing around town shopping, going to hair appointments, to the bridge club card parties, and when "the grils" go for coffee. She actually would go around town and pick up her girl friends and head out for lunch, etc.

Auntie "B" is less than 5 foot 3 inches, and a very small framed woman. She told me that she can not see OVER the steering wheel, so she just looks through the top portion of the wheel. The mental image of this little woman drving her OD green Hummer with a load of her shopping buddies, is just too much to grasp. But, it is true, or at least it was true until the state patrol in an un-named easter US state, stopped her from driving it.

She might be in the market for a nice four door Gwagen!!?? Or maybe an Unimog??

#14400 - in reply to #13284
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 9:07 PM
Thai

Thomas...that is a great & funny story. Thanks for sharing! I would love to see a picture of your auntie in her Hummer...that would be a Kodak moment!

BTW, i think that the Hummer H2 is the largest Hummer by size.

Edited by Thai 5/22/2006 9:07 PM
#15199 - in reply to #11882
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 2:29 AM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed

Thai,

The latest installment of this story is that Auntie B has passed her mental status exam. She is sane enough to drive...believe me, she is a very spunky 85 years young. So, she said that she would take the driving test in a smaller car so as to not make the driving tester too tense. So, we shall see what happens next. Yes, I want photos of her and her Hummer. I think she has a small ladder to climb onboard!

Best wishes,

ts
#15296 - in reply to #15199
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1