Page 1 of 1 1
Gwagon Wins
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 8:47 AM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
Gwagon Wins

So I was out on a back country road with the kids on Sunday. There are some tight turns and almost not wide enough for 2 cars to pass each ither.
So we were coming around a bend and there is a BRAND NEW Lotus just entering the bend from the other way. I quickly realized he had way to much speed to make the turn using just his lane and it was on the outside line of turn, I would say about a 25 degree turn in the space of 50/60 feet. So I was able to get two tires off the road there was about a 1 foot drop from road to dirt. Well he tried the same thing. Needless to say at about 75 + MPH he got what he should of for going that fast on a 25 MPH posted road. The car dropped off on the right side. He lost control and ended up upside down and facing the wrong way against a tree facing me. What a noise that made. I called 911 and got back to see if he was ok. He was bleeding and could not get out of the car. Cops got there and called for a toe truck ASAP. I offered a suggestion that we lift the car enough to get him out. Paramedics were getting there about that time. So ran a strap to the far side of the car and, lucky for me I guess I was able to keep on the road. Was able to roll the car up about 2 feet so they could get the guy out. The drop off was enough to hold the car from sliding towards the road and with not to much effort the G rolled it up. The cops at that point were amazed at this little G being able to do this. Also a Lotus is not all the heavy so that helped a lot.
At that point I did wish I was in the Mog but hey the G came through.
If it shows up in the paper today I will send the link.
VIVA G
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 9:07 AM
G350DT

Re: Gwagon Wins

What one looks like pre stupid driving
http://carpictures.carjunky.com/albums/Exotic-Autos/lotus_elise_s2....
#12456 - in reply to #12452
Author
Posted 5/16/2006 9:50 PM
mb230s

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40
RE: Gwagon Wins

A friend bought a Lotus Elise.  I didn't care much for it.  The other driver could have been a lot worse off.  I'm only 6'2"ish - felt like Andre The Giant squeezing into that thing.
#13270 - in reply to #12452
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 8:06 AM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss

The Elise handles very nice on twisty roads.

A friend of mine has one. Its a bear to get out of, even when its right side up - Especially with the roof on.. You should have a chance to see a woman in skirts trying to get out of it and at the same time being decent and not showing too much...

Johan-Kr

Edited by Fenalaar 5/17/2006 8:07 AM
#13368 - in reply to #12452
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 2:06 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
Gwagon Wins

THose cars aren't just light, they weigh in at about 1950lbs. The scariest part about the car is that the tires on those cars functionally start to be useless at about 5k miles, even when they have tons of tread left, so the car, despite it's enormous cornering ability with good tires, becomes pretty dangerous pretty fast. In my opinion, really poor choice of tires (dangerous) especially for an owner who's not aware of the tires life cycle. I read on a lotus forum from a fellow who spun off the road doing much the same speeds as he'd done in a VW beetle, and while some technique issues were identified, it brought on a lot of discussion about the short and tentative life of the tires which is independant of tread depth. What that car needs is a good set of A/T's!

the 4 cars on my list of next vehicles to keep from pounding out 22k miles a year on my baby are (not listed in order of preference):

Lotus Elise (what a contrast to the G!)
Honda Insight
pontiac soltice (i know, don't start)
G300td, veggie burning
#13423 - in reply to #12452
Author
Posted 5/18/2006 6:55 PM
Maxwell Smart

A friend has got an Exige, which is basically a race tuned Elise designed for the track and damn that thing is scary.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1074047,00.html

The worst thing is he wants something more powerful.

I keep trying to tell him a G.... he says maybe when he has kids.
#13849 - in reply to #12452
Author
Posted 5/18/2006 7:04 PM
mb230s

Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40
RE: Gwagon Wins

ewalberg - 5/17/2006 1:06 PM THose cars aren't just light, they weigh in at about 1950lbs. The scariest part about the car is that the tires on those cars functionally start to be useless at about 5k miles, even when they have tons of tread left, so the car, despite it's enormous cornering ability with good tires, becomes pretty dangerous pretty fast. In my opinion, really poor choice of tires (dangerous) especially for an owner who's not aware of the tires life cycle. I read on a lotus forum from a fellow who spun off the road doing much the same speeds as he'd done in a VW beetle, and while some technique issues were identified, it brought on a lot of discussion about the short and tentative life of the tires which is independant of tread depth. What that car needs is a good set of A/T's! the 4 cars on my list of next vehicles to keep from pounding out 22k miles a year on my baby are (not listed in order of preference): Lotus Elise (what a contrast to the G!) Honda Insight pontiac soltice (i know, don't start) G300td, veggie burning

I'd opt for the Saturn Sky RedLine version instead of the Pontiac.  I think you would tire of the Lotus very quickly.  I admire Lotus for bringing the car over w/ the fit, finish, quality, and price they achieved.  Driving it daily would be a punishment I wouldn't want to endure.  Getting in and out is comical. 

If I could sneak a used Smart FourTwo into the country that would be my main choice for keeping the miles off the G.  Great little city car for tight streets and limited parking. 50 mpg vs. the single digits I get in city driving in the G.  I'll stick to the G and 16mpg at highway speeds.  I know Smarts are suppose to be safe, but I'd rather be in the big box. (yes I know about ZAP/G&K - those prices are 2-3x what I would be willing to pay). 

#13858 - in reply to #13423
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1