Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Algae in diesel tank and filters

Page 1 of 1 1
Algae in diesel tank and filters
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 2:52 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.
Algae in diesel tank and filters

Lately my trusty G has lost power and after a thoruogh inspection I found the little diesel pre-filter completely clogged with slimy, yecky algae.

I have surfed the net and found this product Algae-X (available even here in SA)

http://www.diesel-fuels.com/

Has anyone of you have an experience or comments on this product?

As a fuel for my G I use Bio-Diesel and apperently this fuel has the tendency to line your tank with algae resulting in clogging up the system.

However, I do at frequent intrevals, feed the tank with diesel additive (Spanjaard) but as I noticed, doesn't help much!

Here in SA I have not been able to investigate on the pros and cons of this product and definitively no one has fitted it to a GD.

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

amzimmy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 6:58 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
Re: Algae in diesel tank and filters

Generally it is the other way around. Straight diesel tends to provide an environment for algae. Biodiesel cleans the the tank and engine of crud and algae. If you have just started using Biodiesel that is the reason for the clogged filter. When you use biodiesel for the first few times on an older model that has run on diesel all it's life the filters will tend to clog a couple of times before it settles itself into the biodiesel environment. B100 is pure biodiesel that will really clean things out and B20 (20% biodiesel) will take the gradual approach to cleaning out the system. I use biodiesel and have noticed the engine runs smoother and quieter. Be aware that over time biodiesel has a tendency to degrade rubber fuel lines so you may need to replace them with a non rubber product.

Additionally in extremely cold temperature biodiesel will cloud (especially B100) and be slower to move through your fuel lines. That is why many offer B20 as well for the cold winter months.

Hope this helps
Mark

Edited by Inkblotz 5/19/2006 7:02 AM
#14053 - in reply to #14026
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 7:56 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Inkblotz - 5/18/2006 12:58 PM

Generally it is the other way around. Straight diesel tends to provide an environment for algae. Biodiesel cleans the the tank and engine of crud and algae. ...........................................
Hope this helps
Mark

Thanks for the reply, however according to some people they say just the opposite of what you stating now I am "CONFUSSED", actually for a long time I have been using "Turbo-Diesel" produced by Sasol here in South Africa and just about a year ago I have changed to Total-Bio-Diesel. I never had a problem and the G was just ticking like a clockwork (Swiss). In January I went to Europe and got back only in April, Then when the trouble started.

My mechanic told that he had installed this Algae-x to many Trucks and Busses that are running on Bio-Diesel with excellent results, but he has never fitted to private vehicles or small diesel engines.

He suggested I should put this to the forum.

amzimmy

Edited by amzimmy 5/19/2006 8:05 AM
#14069 - in reply to #14053
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 8:26 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Inkblotz - 5/18/2006 12:58 PM

Generally it is the other way around. Straight diesel tends to provide an environment for algae. Biodiesel cleans the the tank and engine of crud and algae.
Hope this helps
Mark

Now I am really I have been directed from "some people" to this website .......... ok they call it FUNGUS

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/17/when-biodiesel-gets-too-green/

amzimmy
#14070 - in reply to #14053
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 8:31 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo

Check these sites out:

http://www.vegenergy.com
http://www.biofueloasis.com/html/basics.html

Mark
#14071 - in reply to #14026
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 8:41 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Point taken.........in other words.......what we get here in SA is not "Biodiesel" is it just a selling gimmick?

amzimmy
#14074 - in reply to #14071
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 10:52 AM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

Athletes fuel? You might check in with an MB dealer and see what they recommend. When I was going to graduate school in southern California this was a very serious issue there because of the climate. Many vehicles had the tank and fuel system replaced. The dealer sold a product that was a fuel additive that controlled this. Can't remember the name but it was made by 20 mule team Borax or something like that. An algae biocide that was approved by Mercedes. One thing I remember about this is that the algae must grow in water so using an additive that removes water from the system would help a lot. Redline Diesel Fuel Catylist does this and there are many others that get it out of there. Water in the fuel is bad, algae really bad.

-Dai

Edited by dai 5/19/2006 11:00 AM
#14106 - in reply to #14026
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 12:08 PM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
RE: Algae in diesel tank and filters

amzimmy - 5/19/2006 2:52 AM Lately my trusty G has lost power and after a thoruogh inspection I found the little diesel pre-filter completely clogged with slimy, yecky algae. I have surfed the net and found this product Algae-X (available even here in SA) http://www.diesel-fuels.com/ Has anyone of you have an experience or comments on this product? As a fuel for my G I use Bio-Diesel and apperently this fuel has the tendency to line your tank with algae resulting in clogging up the system. However, I do at frequent intrevals, feed the tank with diesel additive (Spanjaard) but as I noticed, doesn't help much! Here in SA I have not been able to investigate on the pros and cons of this product and definitively no one has fitted it to a GD. Any comments would be very much appreciated. amzimmy :wave:

You are going to laugh, but I actually have two patents on a product uses a similar principle as Algae-X. Unfortunately, I do not have a product that will work with the Mercedes Filters.

The original product was made in Holland (I think). It is a better product than Algae-X...

On the other subject, I do not think that this is a algae issue. I think that you are having issues with your Bio-Diesel. I would take their recommendations before going to a product like this. You can also use a product called Sta-Bil. It is an additive that goes into your take. It's original purpose is for vehicles (or equipment) that sits for long periods of time (or over the entire winter). It will kill whatever is living in your tank.

#14115 - in reply to #14026
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 12:08 PM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed

Dai,

Athlete's fuel indeed. Very cleaver!!

ts
#14116 - in reply to #14106
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 4:46 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

With these additives one has to be very careful! Some time back, here in SA a G-fellow was convinced that this one product "ABC" (not to mention names) was the ultimate for cleaning tank and fuel lines, injector nozzles, pump etc. the result was a catastrophic consequence.....after 2000 km all of the pistons had to be replaced, some of them had holes burnt/corroded right through.

I went for, what is available in SA, the "Spanjaard" product that, according to several tests done by independent motor manufacturer, has come out top.

I discovered yesterday that a local mail delivery company has been using the Algae-X to all of their "MB Sprinter" with a great improvement in clean fuel and even on consumption.

No one at MB in SA can comment and can give me any advise on the matter and with your comments I get very skeptical

I will take out the tank clean it, flush all the pipes and conduits, replace all the filters and monitor the progress.

amzimmy
#14414 - in reply to #14116
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 1:07 PM
petermerle
Expert

Vehicle(s): W460 *1, W123 *2, W124

Alan,
I don't think its a biodiesel problem - probably just a case of algae in your fuel . I guess for algae to grow you need water so check out for any possible path for water contamination. I have had diesel stand for 6 months here in CapeTown without algae problems. I have not yet had the need to add additive's to my diesel. What percentage bio is the Total fuel ? Is it freely available or only at selected pumps? Its not here in CT presently.
Peter
#14464 - in reply to #14026
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 7:15 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Peter,

The % of bio diesel in the Total fuel I don't know, what I know is that it is available only at selected outlets here in Gouteng, I haven't seen the bio diesel in Natal either. However I will take the tank out and check/replace all fuel lines.
Maybe I should reuse the sasol turbo diesel

amzimmy
#14984 - in reply to #14464
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:07 AM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899

Amzimmy,
I say for one blame it on Zuma!!!
Second When I was in SA at least in Durban area I did not see or hear of anyone selling Bio, I would be suprised if anyone there would take the energy to make it, maybe import but still tough to think the other.
I run 90% WVO in my Diesel truck you could probably do the same if you are not in the Cape.
#15000 - in reply to #14026
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 1:03 PM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

230G - 5/21/2006 2:07 PM

Amzimmy,
I say for one blame it on Zuma!!!
Second When I was in SA at least in Durban area I did not see or hear of anyone selling Bio, I would be surprised if anyone there would take the energy to make it, maybe import but still tough to think the other.
I run 90% WVO in my Diesel truck you could probably do the same if you are not in the Cape.

230G,

Yeah.....Zuma he is more interested to have a shower, as a "contraceptive" after having had sex with an HIV+ then to be worried about Bio-Diesel

I really don't know why there is such a difference between the region in SA where you can and can't get Bio diesel.

Maybe the reason lays in that Gouteng has more McDonalds?

amzimmy
#15039 - in reply to #15000
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1