Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : no more rattle :)

Page 1 of 1 1
no more rattle :)
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 4:54 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
no more rattle :)

Well i got my G back last night from the dealer and it was rattling more that it was when i took it down there. So i knocked on the muffler and you could hear the parts moving around. then i did the second cat and it sounded the same way. So i decided to unbolt them all and see if i can pull, shake, wash out the broken parts. Mean time i managed to cut my had on the heat shield and got to get 14 stitches.

Today, i decided it was time to get even. a friend and i pulled out a saw and cut those suckers off behind the fist cat. Then we made a LOUD trip to the muffler shop to have it all welded back on.

After taking a look at the second set of cat's that we cut off i think this could have caused some of my mileage, heat problems, low power, and maybe even the fans that runs 90% of the time.

1) the passenger side was clogged shut, coming in from the fist cat, however the back side had chunks missing that had blown back into the muffler. Now when i say chunks they where square pieces of what ever the second cat is made out of the size of the exhaust pipe. No clue how a square object made it down a round pipe.

2) the drivers side had broken up and some how turned side ways so the "honeycomb" looking stuff was up and down instead of straight which would not let a lot of air move threw it. I bet this is why when you ran the truck hard or pulled something the header would glow On the back side big chucks of it had blown in the exhaust and where also stuck causing a nasty nasty sound.

3) what's i find strange is that we took a flash light and shined it into the remaining two cats (first two) and they look almost new. There are not heat marks, or broken pieces and it flow like crazy.

Anyway ill keep my eyes on it this weekend and try to get some picture of what the inside of the second cat looked like once off the car.

Later
shawn

So end result, nice hospital bill, good drugs to take, a shot in the butt that huts worse than my thumb, $35.00 weld job at the muffler shop and $7.00 for two metal /stainless saw blades and now have a nice sounding G
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 12:45 AM
Alaskagwagen

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: no more rattle :)

Shawn,

Gads! This is definately a good news, bad news story. It is good info - we appreciate your blood sacrifice. Any chance you smacked those cats at some point wheeling the truck and that is what broke them up? So if I understand right, the upstream cats looked OK but they had spewed parts into the downstream ones? As I recall on my former G500 these components were somewhat exposed and probably the second ones more than the first.

Something to check out for those with cats which are going to the dogs.

Adam

#14374 - in reply to #14186
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1