Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Completely Off Topic & Long - Governmental Bureaucracy

Page 1 of 1 1
Completely Off Topic & Long - Governmental Bureaucracy
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 9:16 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Completely Off Topic & Long - Governmental Bureaucracy

For this story, USCIS = US Citizenship and Immigration Services, which is a part of USDHS = US Department of Homeland Security.

#2 step son has been in the US Army for the past 3.5 years and was not a US Citizen. During that time he's served a year in Korea and 11 months in Iraq. When he went to Iraq, he found that not being a US citizen kept him from getting clearance, which meant that he was not allowed access to certain parts of his base.

In Feb 2005, while in Iraq, he applied for US Naturalization/Citizenship under the special fast track process available to active US Military. He was given a June 2005 appointment at the Atlanta USCIS for his initial interview. The only problem was that he was still in Iraq; so I wrote USCIS asking them to put his file "on hold" until he returned from Iraq. I received a form back with a box checked which said that they had received my correspondence and were acting on it.

When he returned to Ft Bragg, NC in Oct 2005, I sent a letter to USCIS advising them that he was back; and requesting an appointment date for his initial interview. We received not the first response back. He also got the Legal Affairs Office at Ft Bragg involved; but they could get not get a response from USCIS either. In the mean time, he has orders to go to Korea in July; and he'd like to become a US Citizen before he leaves.

More attempts to get help from Legal Affairs produced nothing - in fact they quit returning his calls. I finally convinced him to allow me to contact our US Congressman's office for help. I spoke to our Congressman's Aide on Monday, May 8th; and she said that she would see what she could do. On Wednesday, May 17th (1.5 weeks!! - after how many futile months of trying), I go a call from the Atlanta District USCIS office asking if he could come in for his initial interview on Friday, May 19th. I called him and he got a 3 day pass to come to Atlanta for the interview. We were in the hopes that this would be the first step of the several needed to getting him sworn in as a US Citizen before he leaves for Korea in July.

I told him to wear his uniform (which he doesn't really like to do when he's not on duty) with the hopes that it might help to grease the skids of this big government bureaucracy; and this is where the story really starts to get interesting.

Because rush hour traffic was light, we got to the USCIS offices about 45 minutes early. If you've never been around a USCIS (or other Immigration) District Office, it is always pandemonium with many hundreds of people milling around, standing in line and speaking dozens of different languages. It was the same this morning; and there was a half block long line just to get into the building.

As we were heading for the end to get in line, we passed a "Federal Police" officer. He spotted my son's uniform and asked if he was getting in line to go inside. When my son answered in the affirmative, the officer told him that a uniformed soldier didn't have stand in line; and we could bypass it and enter the building with him through the employees entrance around the corner.

That got us in a whole lot quicker; and we arrived at the appointed room about 30 minutes early. There were probably 100-150 people milling around in that room. When my son walked up to the reception desk and before he could even produce his paperwork, the immigration officer asked if he was "abcde" (his last name); and when he said "yes", they asked him to immediately come back into the office area for his interview. They were obviously expecting and waiting for him.

A few minutes later, he came back out and said he had to go down stairs to have his picture taken. When he came back up, he turned in the photos and whispered to me that they were going to swear him as a citizen just as soon as they could attach the photo to and complete the Naturalization Certificate.

A short time later they called him in the back and he came out after a few minutes with his certificate as a brand new Citizen of the United States. (And we had gone in expecting to only complete the first of many steps and visits toward his becoming a citizen!) Total elapsed time of about 1 hour. This is the way that we all wish that the government bureaucrats would - but usually don't - work. Obviously, the Congressman's intervention helped tremendously.

The afternoon was spent applying for a US Passport, registering to vote and visiting the Congressman's local office to thank that helpful aide in person. She got teary eyed when we told her the story; and she said that far too many immigration stories do not have such a happy ending.

All in all, a pretty nice day!

Happy Trails to You!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 9:30 AM
David J. Pearson
Regular

Vehicle(s): 230 GES,G500 Classic,300TE 24, 200 CLK Cab. 73 TR6
RE: Completely Off Topic & Long - Governmental Bureaucracy

Hi DUTCH
Good news indeed. Pleased for you, your wife and your son. Seems like the least they could do under the circumstances.

David
#14440 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 10:08 AM
EuroTruck
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2012 Audi A4 Avant S-Line, 2015 Ridley NOAH SL
Re: Completely Off Topic & Long - Governmental Bureaucracy

Great story!

That's the least our Country could do for that fine young man.

I bet the smile on his face was there for hours.

Tell him thanks for his valiant service.

-Sean Philyaw
#14443 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 10:46 AM
CEOG
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 80 230G

That story made me teary eyed. What a great story. Please thank your son for his patience and his service and tell him how proud I am to have a new citizen like him in this great country.
#14445 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 11:13 AM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350

So nice to see when our governmental monster can do something RIGHT for a change!
Congrats, and thanx for his sevice protecting us all.
Patrick
#14449 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 11:55 AM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

Congratulations!

It's good to see that the US Citizenship and Immigration Services is finally doing something right. We are all proud of your son and everything that he is going for our country.

Your family must be VERY Proud!

#14455 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 12:56 PM
petermerle
Expert

Vehicle(s): W460 *1, W123 *2, W124

How is it possible for a non US citzen to be in the US armed forces ? Surely one could interperate that as being a "mercenary" .
PEter
#14462 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 1:13 PM
DUTCH

petermerle - 5/20/2006 12:56 PM

How is it possible for a non US citzen to be in the US armed forces ? Surely one could interperate that as being a "mercenary" .
PEter

Non-US citizens, as long as they are legal resident aliens in the US, can serve as enlisted soldiers in the U.S. Military - all branches. They cannot be officers; and, as was the case with my step son, they cannot obtain security clearance.
#14465 - in reply to #14462
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 1:48 PM
CaptnPete

Date registered: Dec 1899

Not only can legal residents serve in the US Armed Forces, they at one time were subject to the draft. Ask me how I know. They can (or could) also serve as officers as long as they successfully went to Officers Candidate School (OCS).
#14470 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 2:10 PM
DUTCH

CaptnPete - 5/20/2006 1:48 PM

Not only can legal residents serve in the US Armed Forces, they at one time were subject to the draft.

They still are required to register with Selective Service (the Draft) when they turn 18, even though there is currently no Draft.
#14472 - in reply to #14470
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 8:50 PM
AG-wagen

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 1999 G500

I try to make it a point to be grateful every day for the brave people who put on their uniforms on my behalf and set out to do what needs to be done for the benefit of me, my family and my countrymen and women. There probably aren't four people in the United States who would see eye to eye on every issue, but we sure ought to be able to appreciate our service members. I'm glad that your son was able to see that appreciation first-hand. It makes me proud to be one of his countrymen. Welcome soldier. Good luck and God bless!
#14506 - in reply to #14472
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 9:09 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

Wow! Congradulations to your son! And to you both for not just falling in line with the flock. I thought for certian this was going to be another one of those incredible government screw-up stories, you know the kind, thay seem to crazy to be really true, yet they always are, and usually worse than what's said. It's good to know there is hope, as everyday at my job it seems ever so remote and I feel that we are not that far off from ancient Rome, right before it all went to hell.

I hope everything goes well for him in Korea, it's got to be a change from the big sand box!

Garret

#14510 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 2:21 AM
ufotwuk

Good for your stepson, Dutch!

He clearly deserved his citizenship, even more so than many born with that right...It's just sad that it took the intervention of your congressman. Someone who has served his country in the manner that he has should be granted citizenship as a matter of course, without having to jump hurdles...I'm sure there are many who have served and who are deserving of the right to citizenship, who will nevertheless be subjected to frustrating bureaucratic hurdles and delays just because they don't know how to contact a congressman...and a heartfelt thanks to your stepson!

phil
#14650 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 10:34 PM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed

Great story, Dutch. I am happy for your family.

Tom
#14888 - in reply to #14650
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:46 AM
G350DT

Dutch,
Seems someone else was also looking out for your Step son.
My wife was not so lucky when she went to become a US person so after 12 years she is still "South African"
I wish I knew your son was in Iraq my brother was there also as a Pilot, and is a Commander. Would of been nice to of gotten them together to say hi.
Thank him for his service for everyone here in the US. Right Wrong or indifferent as to being there it is not the fault of the solders and they should get every possible thank you !!!
#15012 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 10:40 AM

Congrats to you and your son, Dutch...

One hour for you guys...Great..!

Six months for me to get my renewal immigration paper work completed. OK...!!

Other folks just show up and now they will get it (US status) immediately..! Interesting..?

My family came here legally and went through the process. Of course coming from Canada and speaking with British accents, I guess didn't scare anyone at the time, but it was 1966.

As for the draft, yes at that time I had to register, and I would have gladly defended this country, and would do so today..!! Peolple just don't get it..Freedom has it's cost. Anyway enjoy the moment and please thank your son for his service. You should be very proud, which I am sure you and your wife are.

Best regards,
#15018 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 10:53 AM

Oh, I almost forgot, when my brother needed to travel and realized his immigration papers were not up to date he too started out the long way.

However, because his time was very limited he also had to go the Congressman route. Seemed to work though, he had a meeting scheduled the next day and had his issue solved immediately. Amazing what it takes sometimes.

Apologies for the spelling error in previous post.
#15020 - in reply to #14438
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 4:10 PM
G wizz
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): Dont own a G anymore, Too expensive!!!!

G-AMG - 5/20/2006 4:13 PM

So nice to see when our governmental monster can do something RIGHT for a change!
Congrats, and thanx for his sevice protecting us all.
Patrick

protecting you from what?? this kind of talk would be banned from the other forum. not sure it should be here either. too political.
#15084 - in reply to #14449
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 5:51 PM
bunkVR4
Regular

Vehicle(s): 617a 460 lwb; 2001 g500, et al

500 - 5/22/2006 9:40 AM

Peolple just don't get it..Freedom has it's cost...

buck o'five
#15106 - in reply to #15018
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1