Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 2002 bad battery and electronics question

Page 1 of 1 1
2002 bad battery and electronics question
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/29/2021 5:29 PM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 93 500GE, 93 500GE, 2002 G500
2002 bad battery and electronics question

Hi Everyone. The battery in my 2002 died after not driving it fir a few weeks.
I jumped it, but then the seats would not move forward to open the battery compartment in rear floorboard.
So, I hooked up a trickle charger to the jump posts in engine compartment.
After a few days, I started it.
All lights are lit up on the dash, the right locker switch is red, the door locks don’t work, the ac does not work, windows don’t work.
I finally got the battery out and installed a new one from MB. Same, nothing works.
Engine starts and I can drive it. It’s full of fuel, but gauge says on empty.

I tried to hook up my MB DAS System to scan it, engine and tranny are ok. All other systems either have faults or can not read.

Thoughts? I’m trying to not take it to the dealer.
Could charging the battery or jumping it maybe fried the main control u it?

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback

Alex
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/5/2021 10:07 AM
J.R.
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 00 G500, 09 911 4S, 11 Cayenne S, 86 280GE (sold)
Re: 2002 bad battery and electronics question

Alex,

BLUF...Try swapping in a new fully charged battery. Given your light show, after taking the battery out, let the car set for about 15-30 minutes. I recently disconnected a battery from my Cayenne and noticed ever decreasing voltage still present across the terminals most likely from the multiple modules capacitors (guessing). I recall seeing it for about 15-20 minutes before it hit zero.

Our cars have a growing number of modules (computers), even in 2002. My experience has been that with a dead or dying battery, the modules are fairly robust with the voltage/ and low amp irregularities. That being said, they don't all act the same when one or several modules are trying to function during a low amp/voltage event.

Your battery maybe dead or dying in such a manner that it is discharging internally taking the alternator output with it along with the modules trying to function without enough clean power.

Keeps us posted. I am not an electrical engineer.

Edited by J.R. 6/5/2021 10:09 AM
#242731 - in reply to #242724
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1