Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : OM606 Head Gasket

Page 1 of 1 1
OM606 Head Gasket
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/2/2021 8:48 AM
jambo
Regular

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle(s): '91 300GD SWB, '92 300GD LWB OM606
OM606 Head Gasket

Hi all,

I would like some opinions from those in the know. I do most of my work myself and don't really want to mess with anything working until I know for sure what the issue is.
This brings me to my problem. I did an OM606 conversion on my '92 300GD. I have since done about 55kkm virtually trouble free. On a recent trip I went up a small dune and once on to relaxed the throttle only to be greeted with a smell of antifreeze.
The motor was not hot at all and I stopped immediately. On inspection we found that the plastic header tank on the radiator had popped off.
Since radiators need to be imported to SA I decided to have the radiator fitted with an aluminum header tank. I refitted everything and started investigating since I only fixed the outcome but not the source.
I fitted a radiator tester and found that when idling I get occasional bubbles in the fluid, which discolors indicating exhaust gasses. When picking up the revs the bubbles stop until I release the throttle at which stage I get a burst of bubbles and then only occasional bubbles. I have done another trip noting temperatures and coolant level and had no problems with either.
So, I obviously have a problem but don't know the origin. I have ordered a new head gasket set just in case.

Has anyone encountered this and can maybe with some certainty give me advice on what the cause could be?
Much appreciate the responses.

Sorry guys, tried adding a video of the bubbles, but seems I can't

Edited by jambo 11/2/2021 8:50 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1