Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Anyone else considering the Ineos Grenadier?

Page 1 of 1 1
Anyone else considering the Ineos Grenadier?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/8/2021 9:35 AM
mb230s

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40
Anyone else considering the Ineos Grenadier?

I've been following the progress on the Ineos Grenadier for almost 2 years ago and put down the reservation deposit back in September. It's basically a cross between a last-generation Defender and new G-wagon IMO.

New Gs are insanely priced and even the older ones are appreciating past what I'm willing to pay for a newish reasonable mile example. Fuel economy/range are also concerns w/ the older Gs. I really hated how often I had to fill the tank w/ my 2002.

I like everything I've read about the Grenadier and Sir Jim Ratcliffe. Spec is much simpler/rugged. Magna did much of the engineering along with outsourcing major components instead of trying to re-invent the wheel and bought an existing/modern manufacturing plant. Uses a ZF 8 speed transmission (which is going into many many cars/trucks), Carillo axles, BMW engine, etc. Wish it had a MB engine instead of BMW - hoped that would be part of the deal when Ineos purchased the Smart plant and the contract to keep building Smarts there. Early reports are it will be based in the $60-70K USD range which isn't terrible considering a medium spec 1500 pickup costs $50K now. I'd probably keep it basic - cloth interior and no fancy/expensive options. Has CarPlay which is about all I want for tech.

Anyone else considering it?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/8/2021 12:50 PM
colsG55
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle(s): G55 Classic 2000, TD5 110, 200 Series Land Cruiser
Re: Anyone else considering the Ineos Grenadier?

I’m going to the Dubai launch tomorrow night.

Will keep you updated.

It’s the most interesting new 4x4 to hit the market in a long time.

#243137 - in reply to #243136
Author
Posted 11/8/2021 3:33 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213

I probably would buy it over a new Gwagen. But then, I have never actually bought a brand new car, so maybe not.

So cool that it is made in Graz.
#243141 - in reply to #243136
Author
Posted 11/8/2021 3:53 PM
mb230s

Only the prototypes are made in Graz. Ineos bought the Smart plant in France from Mercedes. Modern plant with a lot of extra capacity. Ineos will continue to build Smarts there under contract as well. Trained workforce and revenue until the Grenadier starts selling in numbers.
#243143 - in reply to #243136
Author
Posted 11/8/2021 4:06 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

That's good to know. Made in France with a BMW engine.

Nice pictures of the truck on the Schockl tho
#243144 - in reply to #243143
Author
Posted 11/11/2021 1:14 AM
colsG55
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle(s): G55 Classic 2000, TD5 110, 200 Series Land Cruiser

Last night I got to view one of the prototype test vehicles, they did go to pains to stress it was not exactly how the production vehicles would be, what was also nice is they encouraged feedback which they would send back to the relevant design teams for review.

The vehicle is impressive and without doubt going to be the best vehicle on the market in this segment. It looks by and large like a Defender externally but underneath it is far more substantial and built far more like a GW. The front diff is very nice with no exposed balls and wiper seals as were the Defenders and GW's, very HD steering rods, recovery points etc. The bumpers and front bash plate are solid which is unusual in this day and age.

The rear doors look to be more along the lines from a GW Professional and other items as well look to be influenced by the G Professional.

The size looks to be about perfect with 115 inch wheelbase and wider than both the Defender's & GW's.

I did not get right underneath for an indepth view but viewed as well as I could from the sides, front and rear. I looks to be well thought out, the ZF transmission sits nicely up out of the way and a nice looking transfer case, all of this looks far more similar to GW than defender with how is put together which is a good thing.

They would not allow us to open the bonnet which was a shame but understandable.

Single fuel tank of unknown size, nobody seemed to know the capacity but it looks a decent size but does hang down a little and has protection.

It was a tad to blingy for me in places but this is understandable as they want publicity and it to stand out, time will tell how the production version goes in this respect.

The group at the launch were experienced offroaders with several Defenders, GW's & 70 series LC's parked outside. The general perception from most people was very good and by and large impressed with what they have achieved. Price will be the big factor, but if priced correctly it will be a fantastic vehicle and without doubt the best proper off roader on the market. It looks to have been kept old school as much as can be with a modern vehicle.

I also understand they had 2 deposits placed for new vehicles at last nights viewing which is encouraging.

There were dual batteries and the major electrics under the rear seat, hopefully they will retain the dual batteries for the production vehicle, the staff on hand could not confirm if this was just for the test pre-production vehicle.

265/70/17 BFG KO2's are a great choice of wheels and tyres.

It will not be overly fuel efficient as it is placarded as weighing 2811kgs with GVM of 3500kgs, which means it is a heavyweight much like the previous generation GW's and this reflects with its HD build and unlike like most modern vehicles with plastic bumpers and light weight bash plate, inadequate recovery points etc, they are building this correctly for purpose which is refreshing.

It was the first vehicle I have seen in a long time that I thought I would probably like to buy when we finally leave Dubai and move back to Australia sometime in the future depending on the price, reliability and dealer network. A 50mm lift and a set of 33s and your set to go, it pretty well ticks all the boxes from the factory with little left needing to be done.

If they get the dealer support right I am sure there will be a lot of interest from the Military, NGO's, big industrial users such as the mines etc, farmers and serious off roaders who will look seriously at this vehicle if the price is kept realistic.

Fingers cross.

Edited by colsG55 11/11/2021 1:20 AM
#243155 - in reply to #243136
Author
Posted 11/13/2021 6:10 PM
Rich
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 1985 280GE cabrio

Thanks for posting your observations
#243161 - in reply to #243155
Author
Posted 11/14/2021 1:17 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

Graz is the world center of 4x4 development - so that's good

but the engineers were told to stick to a low budget - not good

the frame brackets for the leading/trailing arms look awkward

bigger tires are on the list for many users - will there be diff gears available?
#243163 - in reply to #243161
Author
Posted 11/23/2021 11:27 AM
mb230s

Thanks for the 1st hand update. I'm hoping the price target and expected USA timeline hold. With the Europeans getting the truck first hopefully all the bugs are worked out before the USA launch as well. Don't want to relive the "teething" problems with the 2002 G500 re-design (I went thru a couple dozen window regulators and door handles).
#243199 - in reply to #243136
Author
Posted 6/28/2023 8:13 AM
mb230s

I drove a prototype several months ago. My initial impression was it feels like my 2002 G500 did. There are a few things I don't like - the BMW powertrain is very high on the list. Back seats are really tight and don't come anywhere close to folding down flat. The split rear door opens backwards IMO. The small section opens first - but is too small of an opening to really be useful to even squeeze a shopping bag in. No way the dog can use it. My preference would be for the larger section to open first. We couldn't drive the prototypes on the highway so I don't know how they will do on x-country drives. OK but not great is my guess.

Pricing was released about a month back. Starts out in the low $70s, spec'ed with basic options including the optional lockers I'm in the high $70Ks. A lot more than initially reported the price range would be. Check all the boxes - over $100K. Basically, Ineos has figured out how to make a 20+ year old G today - load it up w/ the luxury features and it's basically an early/mid 2000s G500 in size/capability/features albeit with less power. Even has similar fuel economy - only 1-2 mpg better. Adjusting the 2002 G500 price of $72,500 for inflation - it would be roughly $122K. With the price of everything today $70K-$110K is not a terrible price. I just can't accept paying that much for what I basically owned 20 years ago....with a BMW engine that I personally don't like and only manages to get 1-2 MPG better than a bullet-proof M113 engine. I'd be better off buy a gently used G500, doing a bunch of maintenance, and be all-in for 1/2 the $. Or... the Toyota Prado is coming to the USA as a LandCruiser and Lexus GX. It looks to be more like a real Landcruiser of old.
#243950 - in reply to #243136
Author
Posted 10/15/2023 12:15 AM
Otiswesty
Administrator

RE: Anyone else considering the Ineos Grenadier?

I saw an Ineos double cab and two EQGs up on the Schockl last month. The test drivers didn't have much to say, maybe because I didn't speak to them in German.

(Schockl.jpg)

(Ineos.jpg)

(EQG.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Schockl.jpg (152KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Ineos.jpg (143KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments EQG.jpg (186KB - 0 downloads)
#244027 - in reply to #243136
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1