Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 1999 G500 electronic door locks

Page 1 of 1 1
1999 G500 electronic door locks
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/17/2023 1:47 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213
1999 G500 electronic door locks

I picked up a Japan spec 1999 G500 LHD last Fall and have been fixing a number of minor things on it. One thing that has been really frustrating me is the driver door lock not popping up when I unlock the car sometimes. Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes they all pop up except for the driver.
At first I figured it was likely a 24 year old crusted up latch mechanism, so I bought as new one from the dealer. Nice clean well greased new part, old one didn't look too bad. Pain in the butt as you literally have to take the whole door apart to put it in.
Unfortunately the problem persisted.

So I bought a new actuator motor. Easy to swap out and I thought it was fixed and then it happened again intermittently as before. Err.

So I bought a brand new Kiekert relay which also did not improve the problem.

When the lock does not pop up, it does shudder, so it seems to be getting a signal. I am stumped as to what is going on. The pull rod for the button is unobstructed as is the rod for the locking motor.
Now I am thinking wiring in the door jam, but not sure. I'm getting a locking handle on the driver side for easier key entry until I can get this solved.
Any one else with this issue?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/18/2023 9:45 PM
J.R.
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 00 G500, 09 911 4S, 11 Cayenne S, 86 280GE (sold)
Re: 1999 G500 electronic door locks

I have had that issue a number of times across all five doors. I have found that giving all of the lock related bits including the latch itself a good spraying of Break Free CLP solves the problem. I have found that I need to do it every 3-4 years.

I hit everything that moves and then manually activate everything a lot before putting the door card back on.
#243934 - in reply to #243933
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1