Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 463 fuel strainer removal help needed

Page 1 of 1 1
463 fuel strainer removal help needed
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/4/2023 5:45 PM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 93 500GE, 93 500GE, 2002 G500
463 fuel strainer removal help needed

Hi Everyone, working on my 1993 500GE fuel system.
Lowered the tank today to change all lines and bought a new tank strainer.
The strainer screws into the bottom of the plastic tank.

Problem, the old strainer just spins and will not come out. I am wondering if the strainer (treaded end), threads into a fitting in the plastic tank and maybe the fitting has broken loose from the plastic?

Any thoughts on how to remove the strainer from the tank? I hope I don’t have to buy a new tank.
Thanks in advance.
Alex
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/8/2023 7:49 PM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Re: 463 fuel strainer removal help needed

My research indicated that if the strainer turns and does not remove, that the inside threads have broken loose from plastic tank and a new tank is needed.
New tank ordered through MB Classic parts. Just an update
#244053 - in reply to #244050
Author
Posted 11/12/2023 5:20 AM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213

Yes, that's what I have been told before as well. Sorry to hear that your tank was bad.
#244057 - in reply to #244053
Author
Posted 11/12/2023 8:32 AM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Thanks Otiswesty!
I’m replacing the tank, strainer, sending unit, fuel pump’s, filter, accumulator, charcoal canister, and as many hoses and metal line extenders as I can. This 30 year old G is a lot of fun to keep on the road, especially with many parts being NLA.
Appreciate your time, knowledge and replies.
#244058 - in reply to #244050
Author
Posted 11/18/2023 5:55 PM
jnicol
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle(s): 91 300GD, 911 (993), Dodge Durango, Subaru rally

AGuess,

I am having the same issue - and have some more info but probably not helpful.

I'm a long time forum member but it has seemed kinda quiet here lately so I have been scouring the web at large looking for resolutions. None. But I have found threads like yours asking about it, followed by someone else 6 months or a year later asking if there has been any progress (without any responses) - over and over again.

I have a '91 300GD. Diesel. I am seeing black particulate in the clear pre-filter at the engine. So I went to change the tank filter/strainer and had the same issue as you - spinning without loosening.

My next step was to remove the fuel sender so I could get a better look inside the tank. There is a balloon like thing around the strainer with a small hole in the top. This unit was turning with the strainer. There is also a hose that goes from this balloon to the filler. I had removed the fuel with a an extraction pump and so I could see pretty well inside. I was using a camera to see what I could see inside and around the balloon but the hole leading into the balloon is too small to allow the camera multiple angles.

I would love to be able to change that filter but I cannot find any evidence of success on the internet and I'm worried that too much goofing around with it will cause a leak (not leaking now). So my approach now is to use diesel tank cleaner in high concentration and shake the vehicle around, also use a brush if I can find a suitable one, then suck all the fuel, cleaner and hopefully gunk out of the tank. Maybe I have to do this a few times. Better than buying a new tank if it works.

I guess the end game with me that I am trying to avoid is a new tank. And if I can clean it well enough that would be great. Even better is changing that filter if I can get it out! (If anybody knows how, advice is appreciated). At this point, I am just having dirty fuel symptoms and everything runs a treat if I isolate the engine from the tank.

Maybe once you commit to the new tank, you can get aggressive with the old and teach the rest of us how these two items might come apart. (I have the correct tool to turn the strainer).

Thanks!!
#244061 - in reply to #244050
Author
Posted 11/21/2023 8:49 AM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Hi Jnocol, thanks for your research and update.
I ended up buying a new tank. I read online that if the inside balloon and parts are spinning that an inside hose can break and that is a different problem that can’t be fixed. I could not find any aftermarket tanks for the 93 G, so I ordered through MB Classic, who had it to me in a few days. I also ordered all new hoses, short line advances (metal), pumps (2), filter, accumulator at rear and at engine, charcoal canister and all new fuel line hoses, connectors, etc. this was a fun task. Had to use a mini torch to heat a few metal line connections to hoses to break loose due to 30 years of corrosion. Then MB made me send (title) to prove the Euro G was in the US to sell me one final fuel hose. Still waiting on that part. My wife was tired of looking at the old fuel tank in our garage, so I disposed of it and could not get the old strainer to release or quit spinning. So no further advice or trick to remove it. Sorry. It’s becoming a challenge to keep these old G’s on the road with MB not making a lot of parts and being euro , I can’t go to the local auto parts store. Thanks again. Alex
#244062 - in reply to #244061
Author
Posted 11/24/2023 10:58 PM
jnicol
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle(s): 91 300GD, 911 (993), Dodge Durango, Subaru rally

Good info Alex - thanks.

I put in diesel tank cleaner - high concentration - and about 1/4+ tank of diesel. Let it sit for a few days. Rocked the vehicle every once in a while. Then sucked out the contents trying to keep my tube in that bulb. I did manage to get some good black blobs to come out on my first session. I repeated a second time but didn't get any more goop. Running it again now and it seems mostly resolved. Time will tell but I am hopeful that has it sorted.

Now onto figuring out my front locker. Was always sluggish and rarely gets used. I have bled both front and rear. Vacuum 'looks' ok but my next task is to confirm that 100%....
#244063 - in reply to #244050
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1