Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : What is the effect of driving a W460 without rear shocks?

Page 1 of 1 1
What is the effect of driving a W460 without rear shocks?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/15/2023 4:39 AM
rhd280
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle(s): 1982 280GE LWB RHD
What is the effect of driving a W460 without rear shocks?

My shock mounts failed their warrant of fitness due to rust (common problem), and I ordered new MB brand mounts. I have a welder in the city who will weld them on, but he wants me to do the grunt work of cutting off the old ones. It promises to be a fun job with a grinder and reciprocating saw. But then I have to take the car ferry drive about 20 km without rear shocks. I am hoping it will just be a bouncy castle drive and look a bit silly, but thought I would ask. Any chance it will damage something or cause real problems?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/17/2023 1:09 AM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213
RE: What is the effect of driving a W460 without rear shocks?

Yes, it would likely be a bit bouncy if the road is irregular or has dips in it. Consider putting some sand bags in the back to partially compress the springs so that it is less likely to rebound upward in a detrimental way. Obviously not an ideal scenario. My first choice would be to find someone willing to do the whole job or who would allow you to help in the workshop with site preparation.
#244060 - in reply to #244059
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1