Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Finally! Off-roading Video of My G

Page 1 of 1 1
Finally! Off-roading Video of My G
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 8:57 PM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899
Finally! Off-roading Video of My G

Finally, i am able to download some videos of my recent off-roading adventure.

G vs. Mudpit:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2335759807478104091&q=mudp...

Steep Hillclimb (but not so bad terrain):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4163767482939061730&q=hill+...

G vs Rockledge:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2346461945054665956&q=rock+...

The videos are from this recent trip:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17251&page...

It was fun.:)

Edited by Thai 4/26/2006 8:57 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 12:37 AM
Braingears
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
Re: Finally! Off-roading Video of My G

I really liked the Rock Ledge...
#3353 - in reply to #3065
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 1:00 AM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)
RE: Finally! Off-roading Video of My G

Great videos and you've some good spotters! Thai, the Steep Hillclimb was my favorite; the Mudpit also looked like so much fun! The G just carried on, without flinching.

In the rockledge video, it's nice to see you climbed up without shredding anything from the rear left side. How much air are you running in your tires?
#3372 - in reply to #3065
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 1:02 AM
Thai

BrentG500 - 4/27/2006 12:00 AM

Great videos and you've some good spotters! Thai, the Steep Hillclimb was my favorite; the Mudpit also looked like so much fun! The G just carried on, without flinching.

In the rockledge video, it's nice to see you climbed up without shredding anything from the rear left side. How much air are you running in your tires?

Thanks. My sliders helped me a lot over the rockledges. I aired down to about 20-25 psi...i think that it was 20 psi.
#3376 - in reply to #3372
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 3:23 AM
TWODOGS
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): Norwegian Army 240GD

all good stuff,
wow i love V8s
all the best
Twodogs
#3439 - in reply to #3065
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 6:41 AM
ehdenoffroad

Great thing about the V8, is that u don't need to rev and that's amazing
#3485 - in reply to #3065
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 4:04 PM
clubgwagen.com
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300GE Cabriolet

reasons to move the 463 tailpipe !

(rockledge video would have taken mine clear off)

Edited by clubgwagen.com 4/27/2006 4:04 PM
#3759 - in reply to #3065
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 9:13 PM
Thai

More off-roading video from the trip above.

2004 OME-lifted 4runner V6 vs. Hillclimb (same hill as my 2nd video above):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1924932267475235715

2003 Jeep Rubicon vs. Mudpit:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1312657865515394660

Rubicon vs. Rockledge: (It was way too easy for Rubi! Lightweight means a lot!)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7143232866318363632

Enjoy.

Edited by Thai 4/27/2006 9:14 PM
#4084 - in reply to #3065
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 1:43 AM
Shebl

Nice Video Thai ,

I like the rock ledge as well .

From the way he was making his climb with the same acceleration and preserving his momentum it shows that the Rubi driver has more experience than you guys + he has a greater approach angle and a cheaper truck to worry about

In The hill climb the hill climb you also hesittated and which can get you stuck in places that are difficult or covered with snow .

Always try to make your climb preserving yor momentum .

Happy G wheelinG

Shebl

Edited by Shebl 4/29/2006 1:46 AM
#5312 - in reply to #3065
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 7:05 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

Great Video Thai,

good leadership and........ sloooowly does-it, well done!.......yuo're welcome anytime to do some crazy stuff in Lesotho with us!

amzimmy
#5389 - in reply to #5312
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 7:18 AM
Thai

Shebl - 4/29/2006 12:43 AM

Nice Video Thai ,

I like the rock ledge as well .

From the way he was making his climb with the same acceleration and preserving his momentum it shows that the Rubi driver has more experience than you guys + he has a greater approach angle and a cheaper truck to worry about

In The hill climb the hill climb you also hesittated and which can get you stuck in places that are difficult or covered with snow.

Shebl,

You're right. The Rubi driver is my brother...and he has a lot more experience. However, I do not think that momentum was much of an issue. The sky was sunny...so condition was dry. I had plenty of traction, esp. thanks to lockers. The biggest issue for my truck is WEIGHT. The Rubi made it easy because it is so light on it's feet. The tires could not pull my truck up at some parts of the video because the G weigh so damn much, esp. when you compare it to the Rubi. Yes, i could charge up that rockledge quicker, but then that would risk more damage to my truck. I have another video of the 4runner doing the same rockledge...and he damaged his front skidplate because his nose slammed on the ledge.

As for the hillclimb, i never needed momentum because, unlike the 4runner, i never had traction issue...again, thanks to lockers. If i had needed momentum, then i could have easily backed down and do it at a quicker speed. Like i said above, there was never an issue of traction...it's just an issue of weight.

For the mudpit video, you're right...i could have taken it quicker, esp. when i was going up. However, i was not sure if i had enough breakover angle. You can see at the beginning of the video that my G was being supported by my sliders for a moment.

I try to take it as slow and gentle as possible when i need to. For me, i only use momentum for mud or muddy hillclimb. With rockledges, i tend to take things very slowly, esp. when conditions are dry.

Edited by Thai 4/29/2006 7:31 AM
#5391 - in reply to #5312
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 7:20 AM
Thai

amzimmy - 4/29/2006 6:05 AM

Great Video Thai,

good leadership and........ sloooowly does-it, well done!.......yuo're welcome anytime to do some crazy stuff in Lesotho with us!

amzimmy

Thanks...but you're just a tad too far....
#5392 - in reply to #5389
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 1:57 PM
Kermit

Thai - 4/28/2006 9:18 PM

The biggest issue for my truck is WEIGHT. The Rubi made it easy because it is so light on it's feet. The tires could not pull my truck up at some parts of the video because the G weigh so damn much, esp. when you compare it to the Rubi.

Weight can be traction's best friend (note how the Jeep slides, thereby losing traction - did that happen to the heavier G?). Looking at the Jeep and the G on the rock ledge, I'd say the difference was ground clearance and a driver who didn't want to bruise his G.
#5520 - in reply to #5391
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 2:02 PM
Thai

Kermit - 4/29/2006 12:57 PM
Weight can be traction's best friend (note how the Jeep slides, thereby losing traction - did that happen to the heavier G?). Looking at the Jeep and the G on the rock ledge, I'd say the difference was ground clearance and a driver who didn't want to bruise his G.

Yes, weight can be good...IF YOU'RE ON FLAT GROUND! When going up a steep incline AND then a rockledge (thus, all weight shifted to rear axle), weight is a BAD thing! But, you're right...i did not want to bruise my G. But, i will not use that as an excuse. Over rocks and steep climbs, Rubicon is better than my G (regardless of driver) due to weight. It's not rocket science to see the difference weight makes.
#5522 - in reply to #5520
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 9:53 AM
KERR

awesome video!

I love the G one hills like that. push the locker button and point and go. Its the best when you have passanger that with you. They Go, " man that just not right" once the lockers are on and you just start walking.
#7731 - in reply to #3065
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 1:25 AM
Shebl

Thai - 4/29/2006 2:18 AM

Shebl,

You're right. The Rubi driver is my brother...and he has a lot more experience. However, I do not think that momentum was much of an issue. The sky was sunny...so condition was dry. I had plenty of traction, esp. thanks to lockers. The biggest issue for my truck is WEIGHT. The Rubi made it easy because it is so light on it's feet. The tires could not pull my truck up at some parts of the video because the G weigh so damn much, esp. when you compare it to the Rubi. Yes, i could charge up that rockledge quicker, but then that would risk more damage to my truck. I have another video of the 4runner doing the same rockledge...and he damaged his front skidplate because his nose slammed on the ledge.

As for the hillclimb, i never needed momentum because, unlike the 4runner, i never had traction issue...again, thanks to lockers. If i had needed momentum, then i could have easily backed down and do it at a quicker speed. Like i said above, there was never an issue of traction...it's just an issue of weight.

For the mudpit video, you're right...i could have taken it quicker, esp. when i was going up. However, i was not sure if i had enough breakover angle. You can see at the beginning of the video that my G was being supported by my sliders for a moment.

I try to take it as slow and gentle as possible when i need to. For me, i only use momentum for mud or muddy hillclimb. With rockledges, i tend to take things very slowly, esp. when conditions are dry.

Thai ,

That's exactly what i meant in my previous post .

In The hill climb the hill climb you also hesittated and which can get you stuck in places that are difficult or covered with snow

+ he has a greater approach angle and a cheaper truck to worry about

As for lockers it is a blessing that got us G drivers spoiled , we climb at our ease:biggrin:

Happy G wheelinG

Shebl

#8222 - in reply to #5391
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1