Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : OT- Recovery from the mud

Page 1 of 1 1
OT- Recovery from the mud
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 10:35 PM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
OT- Recovery from the mud

Just so happens this one was a recovery of my snowmobile I did get to use one of the Pro-Comp recovery straps I bought last spring though There are actually just a few pics of the sled stuck, the rest are a couple of days of winter adventures in the San Juans of SW Colorado. No G content.

http://homepage.mac.com/brentholm/PhotoAlbum39.html
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 11:49 AM
clubgwagen.com
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300GE Cabriolet
Re: OT- Recovery from the mud

you crazy f**k! love it!

did you guys take some avalanche training in regards to where to cut tracks into slopes like those???

lots of folks die out here from that, but of course the snow is totally different here in the Sierras, way to much wet heaviness. Too much thaw and freeze. I'm sure its much better and safer in CO!

The cornice rips are lovely!! Good job.

#3608 - in reply to #3209
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 1:38 PM
Brent
Expert

RE: OT- Recovery from the mud

Yes on the avy classes, plus practice with locator beacons, carrying shovels and probes and my favorite, the avylanche backpack. It is a pack with two large inflatable ballons. Pull the handle and it keeps you from being buried, 98% success rating in Europe.

We actually live in a very avy prone area. The slopes can be extremely steep and we have the warm weather problem too. By now though things are pretty dang solid. Late afternoon when the snow warms up can trigger slides but if you run 9am till 3pm you are pretty safe. Of course....looking at my own pics, "safe" is a relative term
#3670 - in reply to #3209
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 4:02 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
Avy pack

Got any comments on the avalance pack? I've been wondering about those. I do a fair amount of backcountry skiing, some of it alone. The beacon isn't too useful in the latter situation. Of course, I try to stay out from under cornices. Contrary to popular belief we Sierra skiers do get some powder at times.

...Alan

(100_0414.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_0414.JPG (5KB - 12 downloads)
#3757 - in reply to #3670
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 6:16 PM
Brent
Expert

With all of the rain Mike has been getting, I would guess the snow would have been pretty decent this year in the Sierras. We were a little thinner than last year here.

I like the ABS pack, but of course I am riding too. When I take it off you can feel the 30lbs coming off. I carry a hat, gloves, a few tools, a little food and something to drink in it. It isn't very spacious with the bags and the tank in there. It does come fitted out for a camelback bag too, so pretty much like most packs but with 10lbs extra for safety. My buddy set his off accidentally once, fortunately never had to use one in a slide.

You can get away with a little more on a sled too. The two we set off this year we were able to easily ride through the side and let the slide go by. On skis you are a little more likely to get caught up in it. By the same token, sledders set off more slides being able to access more places and being heavier.

I like the feeling the pack gives me, I don't ride without it.

(slide.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments slide.jpg (96KB - 10 downloads)
#3859 - in reply to #3209
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 4:30 PM
mzsmbs

Date registered: Dec 1899

and not one picture of the G?

#4807 - in reply to #3209
Author
Posted 4/30/2006 12:27 PM
Kermit

Date registered: Dec 1899

Spectacular pix. What's all that white stuff on the ground?
Good to see you here Ze.
#5851 - in reply to #3209
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1