Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class : Diesel - Hard start - Smoke from engine - No Power - Check Engine Lite

Page 1 of 1 1
Diesel - Hard start - Smoke from engine - No Power - Check Engine Lite
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/24/2006 2:48 AM
Rolex

Date registered: Dec 1899
Diesel - Hard start - Smoke from engine - No Power - Check Engine Lite

Well seems I have been obligated to help out a friend with a diesel. I have inspected this vehicle that has a check engine lite on (Code 2285) Low fuel pressure. Thing is hard to start and smokes from the engine as it tries to start when cold. Once started it stinks to high-diesel and clacks along until warm. Then when driving it has squat for power until warm and even then it does not even start to move until over 3000 rpms when the turbo kicks in.

I have also noticed a exhaust leak up by the converter and a solid hissing sound. Even though there is a code 2285 present I think the converter may be clogged causing most of the problem. I dont normally mess with diesel vehicles as I prefer gas cars but like I said, I am obligated.

Fuel management systems on diesels look to be a pain in the ass. I dont want to have to dig deep on this one so lets hope for a plugged converter.

BTW the fuel pump was replaced a year and a half ago. If in the end the pump ends up to be a probelm that will mean a new fuel pump every 1.5 years for a diesel of this sort! Ha!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/25/2006 6:33 PM
TheDon

Re: Diesel - Hard start - Smoke from engine - No Power - Check Engine Lite

what model?... im guessing its one of the newer E300D's... with the 606?

did you do the basics... fuel filters? air free of air leaks...

Edited by TheDon 11/25/2006 6:34 PM
#54280 - in reply to #54146
Author
Posted 11/26/2006 11:29 AM
TheDon

Re: Diesel - Hard start - Smoke from engine - No Power - Check Engine Lite

ooo.. then i really have no idea

go to www.dieselstop.com

thats a website for ford diesels..

im more on par with mercedes benz diesels
#54340 - in reply to #54146
Author
Posted 11/28/2006 2:40 AM
ForcedInduction
Regular

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): 1980 240D 3.0VNT
RE: Diesel - Hard start - Smoke from engine - No Power - Check Engine Lite

The VGT turbo has a bad habit of sticking on the 6.0L. The vanes may be stuck open (Low power until 3K rpm). Keep in mind that without seeing/hearing it in person, this is just a guess. The turbo can get stuffed up with soot if it's "grannied" around for a long time without a good romping to get everything nice and hot.

The best way to test for a plugged cat is to replace it with a test pipe. If your problems end, I (personally) would hollow out the cat and weld it back in place to keep it legal looking.

Edited by ForcedInduction 11/28/2006 2:44 AM
#54539 - in reply to #54146
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1