Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 617A diesel pump problems

Page 1 of 1 1
617A diesel pump problems
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 6:31 AM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss
617A diesel pump problems

I've recently had a used 617A installed in my '86 300GD, and it turns out that the engine needs some TLC.

I've given it a round of diesel purge, but after that I haven't been able to get it going again. (I've aired the system several times, so that shouldn't been a problem. )

Since it seems like the engine almost catches, I pulled the injectors and they looked quite bad, so I sent them to my workshop for an overhaul. All the tips were burnt, so they changed the tips and adjusted the injectors.

I poured some Redex onto the cylinders to help fix my stuck piston ring problem, and reinstalled the injectors and vented the air out of the system.

Still no start. When I checked more closely, it turns out that two of the injectors aren't getting any fuel, while the other three are going.

I'm starting to suspect that my diesel pump is shot and needs a rebuild. Any thoughts ?

Regards

Johan-Kr

Edited by Fenalaar 5/1/2006 6:31 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 8:36 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
Re: 617A diesel pump problems

John

1. Are your glow plugs heating up the cylinders properly? No glow no go. That can cause the cylinders to foul with fuel because they are not fireing.

2. Are all your pressure lines that go to the injectors tightend down properly?

3. After the diesel purge did you replace the filters?

Mark
#6485 - in reply to #6464
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 8:45 AM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

If you know which injectors are not getting fuel loosen the lines at the those injectors and try to start it to see if you can get fuel to them. They can be a total pain to bleed sometimes if a lot of air is introduced and there is no substitue for cracking open lines at the injectors and spinning the starter to get them to flow. I spent an hour bleeding a turbo once because I didn't properly prime the filter (fill it with dieses) before installation. I tried to fill it with the lift pump. Very big mistake and it took a very long time to purge the air correctly. I would say eliminate that (air in the lines) as a possiblity before you pull the pump and have it tested out. Best of luck,

-Dai

Edited by dai 5/1/2006 8:46 AM
#6489 - in reply to #6464
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 8:51 AM
Kermit

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: 617A diesel pump problems

Does the pump have any leaks? It's a lot cheaper to have the pump rebuilt than replaced, but it's still expensive.
#6491 - in reply to #6464
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 6:38 PM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss

I know which injectors aren't getting any fuel, since I've cracked open every line at the injector and seen that there's fuel coming from three of them when I'm cranking, and two are completely dry. (I cranked empty an 88 amp battery to no avail).

The pump doesn't have any leaks that I'm aware of.

I don't think I have the option of spending much more time looking for faults, so at the moment having a workshop going through the fuel system seems to be my only option that will give me back the car in a reasonable time...

Johan-Kr

#6711 - in reply to #6464
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1