Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W210 E Class : How To: Fixing the blower regulator / slow fan

Page 1 of 1 1
How To: Fixing the blower regulator / slow fan
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 2:08 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
How To: Fixing the blower regulator / slow fan

The W210 body is plauged with a weak fan regulator. If your fan suddenly refuses to go past slow no mattery how high the speed indicator shows you need a new regulator module. You can get the absurdly expensive one from MB or buy a beefier model meant for the W140. A little soldering will adapt the replacement to the W210 body.

If you know how to access the carbon filters, you can access the blower.
Below the glove compartment (not behind, where the dust filters are)is a plastic cover fastened with screws. After you remove this, you will see the doors for the carbon filters to your left and to your right you'll see the aspiration port for the blower. Remove the screws and the motor will drop. The control is attached to a metal plate on the motor itself. It is a square device, 1x1.5in where the wires (black, yellow, red and blue) end, fastened with two small screws. Remove, open the cap, with a soldering iron remove the wires and reattach them to the new unit.
Be careful to clean the contacts as well as the metal plate where it attaches. Heat transfer grease comes with your new unit and is vital to the life of the control, so be careful not to waste it.

I did this a while ago so I'm fuzzy on the details now. If you get into this and have difficulties, PM me and I'll help you out.

(BlowerRegulator.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BlowerRegulator.jpg (7KB - 28 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 6:21 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
P/N A140 821 83 51

Oops, left off that detail. $164 @ autohausaz.com, last I checked.
#6707 - in reply to #6626
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 7:19 PM
BackRoll23

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: P/N A140 821 83 51

Thanks for the tip.  I think I'm in need of one, but the weather here has been around 75 degrees and sunny, so no need to fix it yet.  But I'd better get on it b/4 that changes. 
#6726 - in reply to #6707
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1