Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Broken arm rest nut

Page 1 of 1 1
Broken arm rest nut
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 6:44 AM
Ernest T Bass

Date registered: Dec 1899
Broken arm rest nut

I don’t know if there are enough of the “usual suspects” on here yet but I have a problem with the arm rest on the front door of my 280ge.

The captive nut which the rest bolts to has sheared off. Has anyone had this problem and cured it without having to strip the door out and weld in a new nut.

I was thinking of some kind of drywall fixing that expands from the rear but any suggestions would be good
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 6:58 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Broken arm rest nut

Ernest T Bass - 5/2/2006 6:44 AM

I don’t know if there are enough of the “usual suspects” on here yet but I have a problem with the arm rest on the front door of my 280ge.

The captive nut which the rest bolts to has sheared off. Has anyone had this problem and cured it without having to strip the door out and weld in a new nut.

I was thinking of some kind of drywall fixing that expands from the rear but any suggestions would be good

We have a product here in the US called "JB Weld". It's a two part epoxy. Loctite makes a similar product. I used the Loctite version to seal a leak on the high pressure side of the A/C on my 280GE, and it held without a leak for 10+ years.

Whatever you do use had better have some strength, as that armrest comes under frequent stress and strain.
#6978 - in reply to #6976
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 7:08 AM
kerry460
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1984 300GD LWB WAGEN
Re: Broken arm rest nut

G,,day another option may be a rivnut ,they are like a poprivet but with a thread on the internal hole .hope it helps ,kerry.
#6983 - in reply to #6976
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 7:11 AM
Ernest T Bass

Yes it is under a large stress - I tried the VW part thats used to attach a golf armrest - it is just hammered into the hole from the outside - it fell out.

It might be possible to glue that in place.
#6985 - in reply to #6976
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 11:07 AM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

I just repaired a carburator body from a Honda ATV with Permatex PermaPoxy 4 minute multimetal Epoxy. Part #84109. Dutch, is this what you used? This stuff is pretty amazing. I used it to fill the holes where the carb float pin is supported. They had worn to an oblong shape to the point that the needle valve wouldn't seat. I redrilled holes through the epoxy for a precise fit of the pin. The fix worked and the scooter runs great. I think this compound might work as Dutch suggests and could securely fix a nut in place.

-Dai
#7065 - in reply to #6976
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 4:24 PM
Greeney

RE: Broken arm rest nut

I did the expanding bolt thing to the side pocket of the passenger door the sort of bolt you use in plasterboard mainly because it was a sunday all shops closed and door panels all over the path with nothing else to fix it with but it worked. find the right size use the special puller to pull up the fins and you are left with a bolt hole it worked with the door pocket but the arm rest you may need something a bit stronger
#7186 - in reply to #6976
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 9:11 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

Ernest T Bass - 5/2/2006 4:11 AM

Yes it is under a large stress - I tried the VW part thats used to attach a golf armrest - it is just hammered into the hole from the outside - it fell out.

It might be possible to glue that in place.

Another version is to make your own nut-plate. Take a small piece of flat steel, just large enough to drill & tap your needed bolt size hole(let's say 6mm) and on both sides space for a pop-rivet each. Slide your new nut-plate behind the door structure, take a 6mm bolt and fasten the plate nice and tite through the armrest mounting hole. Now drill on both sides of the bolt a 1/8" hole through the door structure and your new nut plate for the pop rivets - attach and squeeze the rivets, remove the bolt and you end up with a very strong attachment point for your armrest.

Karl
#7411 - in reply to #6985
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 12:57 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
I love the smell of epoxy in the morning ... smells like victory

Ernest T Bass - 5/2/2006 4:11 AM

..It might be possible to glue that in place.

My favorite for this kind of problem. Clean the area and a new nut. Put a lightly greased bolt through the nut and then gob the area over with epoxy. The grease keeps the epoxy off of the tread area and you have a captive nut. Wait a day and it will be like iron. Mix the epoxy with steel wool or glass fiber for some extra strength.
#7628 - in reply to #6985
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1