Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W140 S Class : 94 s320 cooling system help needed

Page 1 of 1 1
94 s320 cooling system help needed
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 1:44 AM
PEZ

Date registered: Dec 1899
94 s320 cooling system help needed

Hello. This is my 1st post. I am the happy owner of a 94 s320 late vin. The car has just come to me in immaculate condition with only 74k on her.

My post concerns the cooling system. I am extremely mechanical and do all my own work. This one I cannot figure out....

With a 79C thermostat [new & verified] and a factory replacement behr radiator, a new fan cluth, along with fresh fluid and a [apparently] newer water pump [hepu, from the previous owner] I am getting crazy high temps in traffic - as high as 110C just yesterday, with only an outside ambient temp of 65F.

Needless to say, I am concerned for a 100F day...

All systems seem to be in perfect running order and the car is strong and clean.

The dealer informed me over the phone that they should run in the 90-100C range [which I assume makes sense with the factory 87C thermostat].

The only thing I can mention is that the lower [return] radiator hose is nearly as hot as the output [upper] hose...

I am hoping someone out there can help to shed some light...

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/28/2007 11:40 PM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350
RE: 94 s320 cooling system help needed

Hi, welcome.

Does it run @110 while driving, or just stopped in trafic??

If just while you are stopped, do you hear the Aux fan turning on? That could be the culprit.
#72017 - in reply to #70937
Author
Posted 4/29/2007 5:19 PM
pistonhead

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle(s): Nissan QX.

Re: 94 s320 cooling system help needed

I get the impression that you have inherited the problem, sounds like the previous owner has attempted to solve this problem. Without knowing all the facts and remotely addressing this problem can be difficult.

When the vehicle is near to its normal operating temperature, feel the top and bottom radiator hoses, if these are pressurized, quite hard, then the problem may lie in a possible Head gasket. Have any complaints with the interior heating?

Is the fan cowling attached? Checking carefully, watching finger do not get caught in any moving parts, get assistance to rev the engine a little, say, 2500 rpm, feel at the edge of fan cowling if air blow towards the engine or does it seem to blow back through the radiator? i.e. blowing outside to inside the engine cab, or inside, out? Should it be the latter, some has fitted the fan blade the wrong way around. More information is required.
#72069 - in reply to #72017
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1