Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Overhead Trip Computer Lightbulb

Page 1 of 1 1
Overhead Trip Computer Lightbulb
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/1/2007 9:42 AM
PineComp

Date registered: Dec 1899
Overhead Trip Computer Lightbulb

Hey, just found this forum, and its great. Looking for help, I need to replace the lightbulb that illuminates the LCD screen in the overhead trip computer on a 99 ML 320, local MB dealer wants $95 to replace a bulb! I just cant figure out how to detach the unit to get at the bulb, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/1/2007 9:54 AM
Marcelc

RE: Overhead Trip Computer Lightbulb

PineComp - 5/1/2007 2:42 PM

Hey, just found this forum, and its great. Looking for help, I need to replace the lightbulb that illuminates the LCD screen in the overhead trip computer on a 99 ML 320, local MB dealer wants $95 to replace a bulb! I just cant figure out how to detach the unit to get at the bulb, any help would be greatly appreciated.

$95 is cheap because the bulb is not seperately replaceable, the entire trip computer has to be replaced unless you can solder in a suitable bulb yourself.

And Welcome by the way!

Edited by Marcelc 5/1/2007 9:55 AM
#72280 - in reply to #72278
Author
Posted 5/1/2007 11:59 AM
ttaleric

Re: Overhead Trip Computer Lightbulb

And if you do deicde to solder a new led on, be sure to take pictures and document it!
#72295 - in reply to #72280
Author
Posted 5/1/2007 12:26 PM
PineComp

Well electronics and soldering dont bother me, but I still cant figure out how to detach the unit from the top of the car.
#72299 - in reply to #72278
Author
Posted 5/1/2007 1:07 PM
Marcelc

PineComp - 5/1/2007 5:26 PM

Well electronics and soldering dont bother me, but I still cant figure out how to detach the unit from the top of the car.

Look at http://www.whnet.com/4x4/tripcomputer.html (the 'Oracle').
#72301 - in reply to #72299
Author
Posted 5/1/2007 2:51 PM
PineComp

Thanks, unless the wife has other plans for Sat, here is my project.
Thanks again
#72315 - in reply to #72278
Author
Posted 5/1/2007 10:10 PM
ttaleric

Good luck, hope it all works out for you, I took the trip down years ago to do the same, never finished it
#72372 - in reply to #72278
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 2:40 PM
mlcharlie

PineComp - 5/1/2007 12:26 PM

Hello PineComp, did you ever get to install new solder in lamps in you trip computer?

This has been a defect with many of the trip computers including the one I have. A lot of us would like to know how to do a DYI fix.

Post some pictures, give us a description of what you did and where you purchased the replacement lamps.

Thanks, Charlie
#76629 - in reply to #72299
Author
Posted 4/7/2009 5:44 PM
Noodles

My light died. I tried to fix it. It was next to impossible to source the proper LED. I do work on SMT circuits
and this would have been a tough one. There are ribbon cables that have no connectors to the main board.
They are soldered to the board. I would have had to de-solder them just to get to the inner housing where
the LED is.

So I got a new one from a guy on eBay that bought it and never installed it. It was still in the MB box and
sealed plastic for $138. The part is $850 from Duval. He included his receipt for $699 when he bought it

So that leaves me with a perfectly good trip computer that has no light at night. Anybody can have it. It
is free for the asking. I can send it freight collect via UPS. PM me if interested.
#148238 - in reply to #72278
Author
Posted 8/27/2009 8:23 AM
athus3
New user

Date registered: Sep 2007

Hi Noodles,
I see that you replaced your trip computer on your ML a little while ago, and you are offering the old one ... I want to attempt to to retrofit my ML. Do you still have the old one ? What is the PN ? Can you ship it to Toronto, CANADA, by USPS collect / COD (cash on delivery) ? Thanks in advance,
athus3

Noodles - 4/7/2009 5:44 PM

My light died. I tried to fix it. It was next to impossible to source the proper LED. I do work on SMT circuits
and this would have been a tough one. There are ribbon cables that have no connectors to the main board.
They are soldered to the board. I would have had to de-solder them just to get to the inner housing where
the LED is.

So I got a new one from a guy on eBay that bought it and never installed it. It was still in the MB box and
sealed plastic for $138. The part is $850 from Duval. He included his receipt for $699 when he bought it

So that leaves me with a perfectly good trip computer that has no light at night. Anybody can have it. It
is free for the asking. I can send it freight collect via UPS. PM me if interested.
#156094 - in reply to #148238
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1