Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Transfer case problem

Page 1 of 1 1
Transfer case problem
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 9:49 PM
jerryg

Date registered: Dec 1899
Transfer case problem

My 96 G320LWB with 178,000 miles recently had a problem jumping out of high range.

I have had the lube changed several times over the years and never before had a problem. The truck has been off road from time to time, but certainly most of the mileage is highway. A few days ago we drove to Moab (260 miles without any problem) For the first time in a year, I used low range for about 40 miles of rather easy off road. No issue. A couple of days later, and 200 more miles of highway driving, we went into low range (rather easy but downhill on the Shafer trail and out to Potash) for about 30 miles. Everything was normal, and it was a cool day so there did not appear to be any heat issues.

When I switched to high range, I had a problem with it jumping from high range into neutral. This happened 7 times over the next 30 miles of highway and seemed to happen most often when under power at low speed. There seemed to be a lot of virbration in the range shifter, especially when trying to accelerate from a start. I thought the drive back to Park City would be a real problem, but could not find a trailer, so started out this morning.

The trip back was totally uneventful -- did not jump out of high range a single time. While I certainly attempted to be easy on the acceleration, etc. I did travel at 60-70 MPH, especially toward the end and everything seemed normal. It seems there is still more vibration at low speed felt in the range shifter, but I may just be paying more attention to it now.

Can anyone provide some wisdom.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 11:42 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Transfer case problem

The vibration could be a broken / loose transfer case mount. If the case moves around enough it can shift for you. The torque is highest in low gear.

Check the transfer case mounts. Lucky for you, you have a nearly identical vehicle to compare to. If it is the SWB cab, I'll diagnose it here for you if you like. I'll send you my address. Shouldn't take more than a summer :-)

Edited by AlanMcR 5/2/2006 11:44 PM
#7586 - in reply to #7523
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 2:33 AM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
Re: Transfer case problem

That sounds like a good start. I have the G320 as well. If there is anything that I can help you compare, let me know..
#7656 - in reply to #7523
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 3:04 AM
jwmol
Veteran

Vehicle(s): G300TD, Volvo TGB13, Vito 120CDI, Renault Trafic

Common sympton when the TC is bust. Mine failed in the same way after being mistreated on a 1-axle brake test stand. Remedy I found: MB swap program for a refurbished one. Costly, but not as coslty as a totally new one.

Funny that you mention the vibration. After my TC had been replaced by the refurbished one, most if not all the vibration that were there before were gone!

JW
#7670 - in reply to #7523
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 2:01 PM
jerryg

Date registered: Dec 1899

Who did you get the rebuilt transfer case from? Is the case the same for the newer trucks such that MB USA will handle the the trade?
#7810 - in reply to #7670
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 2:43 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

jerryg - 5/3/2006 2:01 PM

Who did you get the rebuilt transfer case from? Is the case the same for the newer trucks such that MB USA will handle the the trade?

The newer (MBUSA, included) trucks have an electronically activated TC shift - no lever. They also have a different series number.
#7821 - in reply to #7810
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 3:03 PM
jwmol
Veteran

Vehicle(s): G300TD, Volvo TGB13, Vito 120CDI, Renault Trafic

Filled out my details, sorry for the confusion about my location.

There are quite a few 463 TC variants, the electronics version being the latest. I cannot comment on MB USA doing rebuilt swaps. In Europe it is a simple swap done at any MB Workshop. You get an exact match.

I have at least seen one case where the electronics TC was put into a pre MB USA truck.

JW
#7831 - in reply to #7810
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 3:10 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

jwmol - 5/3/2006 3:03 PM

I have at least seen one case where the electronics TC was put into a pre MB USA truck.

JW

And he had to do some re-engineering of the shift mechanism to be able to use it.

(PS. We just got some new emoticons!)
#7836 - in reply to #7831
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1