Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Catalytic converter or rod knock 

Page 1 of 1 1
Catalytic converter or rod knock 
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 9:42 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Catalytic converter or rod knock 

So I stopped and looked at a mega cab diesel yesterday and when I walked past the passenger side of the g I heard this faint rattle. No big deal, I had just been up to my father new house which has a long gravel road to get there. Figured a rock had flow up in the heat shield again. Well last night about dinner time I picked up my daughter at day care and you can really hear it now. When idling it sound like a rod knocking, clang clang clang clang clang but when you bend down to listen it sounds like its coming from the catalytic converter or “after cat” thingee.

Anyway any of you had this problem. Im 99.9% sure it the cat. I have been 120 miles from last night until this morning. I know MB makes grate motors but I don’t see the old G living with a rod that sounds like this

Thanks
Shawn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 9:54 AM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: Catalytic converter or rod knock 

I would guess that a failed engine is pretty unlikely. It is even less likely that you could drive 120 miles with a failing bearing, though it is possible. Does the noise change when the engine temp cold or warm? Sometimes a rod will be quiet until warmed up then start banging.

Time to visit your freiendly MB service dept

BTW, I love my megacab. Great for hauling the kids, has the dvd entertainment system and rediculously huge rear seat. Gets better milage than your G500 too

(mega.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mega.jpg (94KB - 9 downloads)
#7732 - in reply to #7723
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 10:40 AM
KERR

Re: Catalytic converter or rod knock 

it gets louder when its warm! you cant hear inside the car driving just when it stopped. I had a jeep back in 97 that sounded like gravels where in the muffler. The dealer replaced the cat.

the idea of the dealer ships again makes me sick. Knowing them i will new a new rear end or something crazy. lol... guess i need to call and make my list.. right now my only problems are. 1) window doesnt roll down. 2) widown doesent roll up once it decided to roll down, 3) sun roof only works half the time, 3) mirrors are now moving when i open the door, 4) wipers still wipe when you open or shut the door 5) hood does not open. 6) Navigation is lost. say get on road when your on the interstate 7) exhaust knock...

I have a call to my dads friend in the next state over on a mega cab or just the crew cab. He has yet to call me back. I was thinking black on black, nav, diesel, auto 4x4, sun roof, Then make the wife mad, 5" exhaust, tst products computer, ( ads 580lbtq) built trans, and maybe a edge or DB turbo upgrade one day.

Did you get a diesel or gas.
#7755 - in reply to #7723
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 10:01 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

KERR - 5/3/2006 8:40 AM

I have a call to my dads friend in the next state over on a mega cab or just the crew cab. He has yet to call me back. I was thinking black on black, nav, diesel, auto 4x4, sun roof, Then make the wife mad, 5" exhaust, tst products computer, ( ads 580lbtq) built trans, and maybe a edge or DB turbo upgrade one day.

Did you get a diesel or gas.

Gas pick-ups are for sissy's I have the mega and an '03 dually reg cab. Awesome trucks. Not sure about the cloth interior but in leather there are two choices, a lighter grey, which I have, and taupe, which I didn't care for much. My mega has every option but the nav, don't need it when my town has one paved road and no stoplights

BTW, you will not be adding 580 lb/ft of torque with a programmer. Remember you are starting with 610 lb/ft. With just a programmer, exhaust and intake you can get to around 800lb/ft. With a turbo, or twin turbos, injectors and maybe a cam change 1000-1100lb/ft is pretty attainable and reliable. Just keep in mind that built auto is going to be $4k, and a requirement to live with the mods. I have left all of mine stock. The power stock is pretty unreal IMO.
#8700 - in reply to #7755
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 11:15 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

I've had both things happen to me, cat rattle and rod knock. I've had the cat break up on several vehicles, and it can sound scary, and can definetly get worse as it heats up, it's pretty common. The rod does get worse too as the oil heats and thins out. I once drove a 2.8l GM v6 for about 10k miles with a pretty bad rod, until it finally spun the bearing. Still managed to drive it home about 20 miles. Sounded like a jack-hammer in the car with me, and I had to keep the revs up above 2000 to keep it from stalling out. It made it though.

I'd bet it's your cat. The odds say.

Garret
#8783 - in reply to #7723
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 9:41 AM
KERR

its the cat for sure. i went by the local exhaust shop and the said "hit it with a hammer and see if it stops" if not you need to buy another cat.

So i hit it a few times with the hammer and the sound went away. but its blowing the guts out the muffler now its the second cat that was making the noise.
#8950 - in reply to #7723
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 9:12 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

I know you've already diagnosed it, but I thought that I should add that if it were a rod bearing, it makes a pretty distinctive pattern of sounds, like when accelerating hard, there is almos no noise, when you let off the throttle, it'll knock like crazy.

The cat will just rattle very annoyingly, particularly at idle. Something I did once on my classic Range Rover was to drive several 3" stainless wood screws into the cat right through the casing. I did this right before an important date, and it quieted it down for months, but then it slowly started rattling again. If your's is already breaking up and expelling via the exhaust, I'd say it's too late. On my RR, I just let it go, didn't worry about it, and finally calmed down. Probably just went to pieces and blew out the muffler or got caught in it. It's still got the same cat converters on it today after 17 years and 200k miles. Still runs pretty good too.

Garret
#9233 - in reply to #7723
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 1:35 AM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)

Brent - 5/3/2006 6:54 AM

Time to visit your freiendly MB service dept

BTW, I love my megacab.

Agreed and I do too.
#9338 - in reply to #7732
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 2:56 PM
KERR

well the noise is getting louder. it the cat for sure, it blowing little chunks of the honey come stuff out the mufflers. If it does not stop rattling in a few days im going to just cut the second cat off and weld in a pipe. And if the front cat is the problem i guess ill just buy a cheap high flow and weld in there.

#10779 - in reply to #7723
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 4:01 PM
mb230s

Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40

Kerr,

Some emmissions related components have much longer warranties. MB might be required by law to replace it for free. I had the cat replaced on my Cherokee after 70,000 miles and 6 years. Didn't pay a dime.

Regardless, I wouldn't start hacking up the stock system. MBs don't have cheapo exhuasts. You'll probably end up doing more harm than good and probably won't even have any slight gain.
#10801 - in reply to #7723
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 6:07 PM
KERR

this is true, ill ask her today when i drop it off, Im sure they say that its caused by abuse or something like that. My dealer is never happy about warranty items. i cut the factory exhaust up a long time ago

#10832 - in reply to #7723
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 8:50 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

Yeah, even the europa trucks are supposed to have 7 years and so many miles on some emission stuff... no idea how we'd collect now, but emission related items can be covered for much longer than others.

Also, again, you've noticed it's from inside the cat, but for others sake i've had a cat exhaust hanger break and it sat in place and rattled, food for others.

P.S. to bad those dodges are so damn ugly!
#10927 - in reply to #10801
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 8:57 PM
KERR

lol... they are not the most beautiful truck out there.

What i would like to have is a Ford F350 body, Mega cab length in the cab, cummins, motor, and real allison transmission with dodges old D70 front axle and Dana 80 rear axle.... Then the big fuel injectiors, comuter, twin turbo etc.... but i havent seen that on the order list

#10933 - in reply to #7723
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1