Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 9:27 PM
Mopagi
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2005 G55K GE
Moab Adventure

Here are some pictures of my little side trip to Moab on the way vegas last month.

Last Monday (4/17) at 5am in New York City, my buddy Taro and I jumped in the G and headed for Moab. At the same time another buddy left Toronto on a BMW R1200RT and headed for Springfield Missouri, our first stop. Why Springfield? He wanted to qualify for a long distance endurance run. See www.ironbutt.com. Ironically, When we finally made contact with each other that day, it turned out that we were both south of St. Louis and less than a mile apart. That night we stopped in Joplin, Mo. The next day we made it to Albuquerque. Early Wednesday Morning We shot up I25 (and I do mean shot) and then up 191 to Moab.

We were on a tight schedule and had to be in Vegas Thursday night. That left little time for messing around. Around 5pm we parked the bike headed out Rt. 128 and saw the sights. Then we pulled out the map and saw the "road to the top of the world." That seemed like a challenge for the end of the day and so we went. We made it to the top in time to watch the sunset and try to beat the darkness back down. Unfortunately the battery in our camera died after a single shot at the summit. We would not make that mistake twice. The next morning we headed out to Lion's Back and Fins and Things.

At the beginning of winter I switched my tires to Michelin Pilot LTX 285/55/VR/18. I have to say that I like them much better than the stock Yokohama's for highway driving. Anyhow, they were a strange set of tires to show up in Moab with, but drop the air pressure and I was quite impressed.

Cheers,
Damon

(Moab1.jpg)

(Moab2.jpg)

(Moab3.jpg)

(Moab4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Moab1.jpg (16KB - 15 downloads)
Attachments Moab2.jpg (19KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments Moab3.jpg (32KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments Moab4.jpg (28KB - 12 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 1:31 AM
Shebl

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Moab Adventure

DAMN is that hill soo steep or is it only my eyes ?

ReG ,

Shebl
#8225 - in reply to #8091
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 9:16 AM
SocalAstro
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 03 G500, 06 Audi A3 2.0

Great photos Damon,

I plan to leave LA for Moan this coming weekend - I can't wait :-)

Can you give more details on how to get to this "road to the top of the world" ? I would like to check it out.

peace,
Leon

Mopagi - 5/3/2006 6:27 PM

Here are some pictures of my little side trip to Moab on the way vegas last month.

Last Monday (4/17) at 5am in New York City, my buddy Taro and I jumped in the G and headed for Moab. At the same time another buddy left Toronto on a BMW R1200RT and headed for Springfield Missouri, our first stop. Why Springfield? He wanted to qualify for a long distance endurance run. See www.ironbutt.com. Ironically, When we finally made contact with each other that day, it turned out that we were both south of St. Louis and less than a mile apart. That night we stopped in Joplin, Mo. The next day we made it to Albuquerque. Early Wednesday Morning We shot up I25 (and I do mean shot) and then up 191 to Moab.

We were on a tight schedule and had to be in Vegas Thursday night. That left little time for messing around. Around 5pm we parked the bike headed out Rt. 128 and saw the sights. Then we pulled out the map and saw the "road to the top of the world." That seemed like a challenge for the end of the day and so we went. We made it to the top in time to watch the sunset and try to beat the darkness back down. Unfortunately the battery in our camera died after a single shot at the summit. We would not make that mistake twice. The next morning we headed out to Lion's Back and Fins and Things.

At the beginning of winter I switched my tires to Michelin Pilot LTX 285/55/VR/18. I have to say that I like them much better than the stock Yokohama's for highway driving. Anyhow, they were a strange set of tires to show up in Moab with, but drop the air pressure and I was quite impressed.

Cheers,
Damon
#8313 - in reply to #8091
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 9:29 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
2006 G-Treffen in Moab

This is a good place to remind folks that the 2006 G-Treffen will be happening in Moab during the week of Sept 17th. The exact dates are to be determined. Some of us will also be playing a bit in the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado before meeting in Moab.

There is an email list set up specifically for this at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/g-treffen/
#8326 - in reply to #8091
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 9:45 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

That is a MIGHTY hill, ...........what is the gradient?........It looks to me near 100%! ............and how do you get down? .......reverse?

amzimmy
#8336 - in reply to #8091
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 9:54 AM
Mopagi
Veteran

Hi Leon,

Here is some info on the road to the top of the world. It is off 128 just before you cross the river.

http://www.utah.com/offroad/top_world.htm

Make sure you have a CAMERA.

Cheers,
Damon

SocalAstro - 5/4/2006 9:16 AM

Great photos Damon,

I plan to leave LA for Moan this coming weekend - I can't wait :-)

Can you give more details on how to get to this "road to the top of the world" ? I would like to check it out.

peace,
Leon

(Moab5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Moab5.jpg (16KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 9 downloads)
#8344 - in reply to #8313
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 10:31 AM
Mopagi
Veteran

Hi amzimmy,

One of the things I would like to have after this trip is an altimeter/artificial horizon. Unfortunately I really don't know the gradient but after I went up a guy in a jeep tried and had a tough time keeping the front wheels down. He didn't make it 20 feet before he started to slide back down. As he began to slide, the jeep drifted sideways. Had he been any further up, he surely would have flipped and rolled over the edge. I'm glad I went up before seeing that. Speaking of DOWN... I stopped at the top of the first level which is by far the most challenging. At that point, there are two ways down. You can continue on up to a point that is wide enough to make a 5 point turn and come back down forward or come down in reverse. Prior to attempting this craziness I hiked all the way up and evaluated the risk factor. Noticing a truck that did not make the turn and went over the edge, I decided that this time I would just go up and come back in reverse. There is always next time.

Damon

amzimmy - 5/4/2006 9:45 AM

That is a MIGHTY hill, ...........what is the gradient?........It looks to me near 100%! ............and how do you get down? .......reverse?

amzimmy

(Moab6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Moab6.jpg (19KB - 9 downloads)
#8354 - in reply to #8336
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 11:53 AM
Gareth Coe

Date registered: Dec 1899

I've seen pictures of something similar called "The Lion's Back"  is this the same hill or is Moab full of similar rocks?

Looks like a good jaunt

Not enough mud though

#8375 - in reply to #8091
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 12:05 PM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

Well Mopagi,

You've got GUTS!..............However, evaluating the situation..........with a G .......what can go wrong ....congratulation you should do a write-up in a magazine with a nice pick of the mighty G!

Ciao, , amzimmy
#8378 - in reply to #8354
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 12:39 PM
SocalAstro
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 03 G500, 06 Audi A3 2.0

Thanks for the info Damon.

The trip is primarily a photography excursion for me, so I will have lots of camera equipment with me :)  
-Leon

Mopagi - 5/4/2006 6:54 AM

Hi Leon,

Here is some info on the road to the top of the world. It is off 128 just before you cross the river.

http://www.utah.com/offroad/top_world.htm

Make sure you have a CAMERA.

Cheers,
Damon

:) :)
#8389 - in reply to #8344
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 7:25 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

Well, thanks for your great pictures!
I just wanted to ask you how to get down from there.........Now I know - I'm very happy with this info - and YOUR picture

When I go there in September, I'll take your photo with me - show it around and say "I know somebody who did that, my G could do it too, BUT...."
Pucker factor x 10...

Karl
#8585 - in reply to #8378
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 9:21 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

I thought that was the Lions Back... or something like it... it's a nasty one. Trucks do fall off that. Believe it or not, those G55 tires might be quite grippy in moad because its all rock instead of dirt.

Biking out there is just strange, because the traction can be enormous. I've climbed up stuff that was reminded me of climbing a ladder. The bike was at nearly 45 degrees with your handlebars in your gut, and you pulled your legs up as if you had really heavy shoes on (they're clipped to the pedals) to advance the bike.
#8669 - in reply to #8354
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 9:45 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

That is the famous "Lions Back" in the pictures. If you think it looks steep in the pictures, you ought to drive it! I definately would NOT have advised backing down. Turning around at the top is the way it is normally done. There is enough room, it just takes a few times to get the truck turned around.

As mentioned, those tires are actually a pretty decent choice in Moab due to the high friction surface. We have had a few out there on stock 18" tires and they did just fine.

I have a slew of pictures of G's in Moab on my web page. We have had a small group show up just about every year for the last five years. Last year was probably the only year I didn't go since 2001. http://homepage.mac.com/brentholm

As DUTCH mentioned, we will be doing it again this year. Make the trip, it is worth it
#8689 - in reply to #8091
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 11:03 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

Mopagi - 5/3/2006 8:27 PM

Last Monday (4/17) at 5am in New York City, my buddy Taro and I jumped in the G and headed for Moab. At the same time another buddy left Toronto on a BMW R1200RT and headed for Springfield Missouri, our first stop. Why Springfield? ...

I'm confused, is this a math or psychology test?

Garret
#8771 - in reply to #8091
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 11:07 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/content/jeephill.wmv

Put you're player on auto repeat before you play it. I dare you