Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Pics of Window regulator repair and some cars in repair

Page 1 of 1 1
Pics of Window regulator repair and some cars in repair
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/1/2007 3:44 PM
roadsession

Date registered: Dec 1899
Pics of Window regulator repair and some cars in repair

So I tried to raise my window and it started sliding forward. I knew the window regulator was broken.

So I bought a window regulator for $150 in parts and with spare rivets and took it to Invisible Touch Inc MA

For $200 in labor - they did a fantastic job - but while fixing it I took the chance to checkout some of the rides that are getting major surgery - among them was a Rolls Royce being completely stripped and reconditioned, a NSX, an e36 M3 and a cool e38 740il.

They even were careful about the dynamat. most shops remove and discard - making you buy it new again but he was careful about reusing the dynamat.

It was fun ;-)

removing the door skin and dynamat.

Note the broken regulator

Removing the rivets to take out the old regulator

see the break?

other link to the break point:

removing new regulator from packaging

some more pics...

I love cars - this place was like a car show - but in various stages of 'undress'.

Edited by roadsession 8/1/2007 3:45 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/3/2007 9:50 AM
Wolfgang

RE: Pics of Window regulator repair and some cars in repair

Great pics, roadsession.

#84587 - in reply to #84402
Author
Posted 8/3/2007 10:33 AM
roadsession

RE: Pics of Window regulator repair and some cars in repair

Wolfgang - 8/3/2007 9:50 AM

Great pics, roadsession.

Believe it or not - taken with a CAMERA phone!!

motorola Maxx 2.0MP Autofocus camera phone...
#84601 - in reply to #84587
Author
Posted 8/5/2007 12:47 PM
tclynes

Re: Pics of Window regulator repair and some cars in repair

the welds broke on our drivers window, had the autoelectrician guy fix it took about 10-15mins he just riveted it back. said it happens a lot to ml's. good pics.

Tom
#84771 - in reply to #84402
Author
Posted 8/20/2009 8:20 AM
richbrowne

tclynes - 8/5/2007 5:47 AM

the welds broke on our drivers window, had the autoelectrician guy fix it took about 10-15mins he just riveted it back. said it happens a lot to ml's. good pics.

Tom

Hi,

My family (wife's car) has an ML270 with the same regulator system. The regulator has failed but the motor/geared system still works okay. The semi-circular geared part runs okay but does not move the window up and down; it would seem that this should be fixed to the 'window pushers' but it is not. Are there some welds broken here?

Also, if this is the case, how did your engineer repair the unit; did he remove the regulator, drill the parts and fit pop rivets or re-weld?

Thanks for your help.

Richard.
#155813 - in reply to #84771
Author
Posted 8/20/2009 3:28 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

richbrowne - 8/20/2009 7:20 AM
tclynes - 8/5/2007 5:47 AM the welds broke on our drivers window, had the autoelectrician guy fix it took about 10-15mins he just riveted it back. said it happens a lot to ml's. good pics. Tom
Hi, My family (wife's car) has an ML270 with the same regulator system. The regulator has failed but the motor/geared system still works okay. The semi-circular geared part runs okay but does not move the window up and down; it would seem that this should be fixed to the 'window pushers' but it is not. Are there some welds broken here? Also, if this is the case, how did your engineer repair the unit; did he remove the regulator, drill the parts and fit pop rivets or re-weld? Thanks for your help. Richard.

If you will note, his unit was not repaired but replaced with a new assembly which is what you'll have to do if you want it to work again.

#155838 - in reply to #155813
Author
Posted 8/20/2009 8:34 PM
richbrowne

cmitch - 8/20/2009 8:28 AM

richbrowne - 8/20/2009 7:20 AM
tclynes - 8/5/2007 5:47 AM the welds broke on our drivers window, had the autoelectrician guy fix it took about 10-15mins he just riveted it back. said it happens a lot to ml's. good pics. Tom
Hi, My family (wife's car) has an ML270 with the same regulator system. The regulator has failed but the motor/geared system still works okay. The semi-circular geared part runs okay but does not move the window up and down; it would seem that this should be fixed to the 'window pushers' but it is not. Are there some welds broken here? Also, if this is the case, how did your engineer repair the unit; did he remove the regulator, drill the parts and fit pop rivets or re-weld? Thanks for your help. Richard.

If you will note, his unit was not repaired but replaced with a new assembly which is what you'll have to do if you want it to work again.

Hi Cmitch,

I was referring to Tom's regulator repair. Tom detailed that his repair to 10-15 minutes and intimated that the failed spot weldings were pop riveted to affect a repair.

Rich.
#155850 - in reply to #155838
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1