Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Hi my friends.

Page 1 of 1 1
Hi my friends.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 12:48 AM
Ze Bocaina

Date registered: Dec 1899
Hi my friends.

Today i drove 450 km from Sao Paulo to Rio , and i am very happy with the GE 300 cabrio. The engine its pretty new. The old owner made a reform changing all the rubbers , ducts , gas tank , etc...etc..2 years a go ( he gave all notes off the MB dealer ) , there is no oil on the ground in my garage after the trip and the truck arrived easy at 140km/h .The only thing i aobser is that the paint is a little bit burned in the discharge near the engine . Temperature all trip 85/90 C , oil preassure on the top when the truck is running and in the middle in low run 900rpm.

Problems-

1 - my owner manual is writtem in german.

2 - Until 60 km/h i fell the car without torque ( response for aceleration),not too much , but a beat.

3 - Low/ and High range are ok, but the loockers are not working - i asked to the old owner, but he told me he never used them and the previus owner either . Question: They work in the same way of my G 500/06 diffs ? Way of use and systems?

4 - Suspension is too much soft ( like a Ford Explorer ) , my G 500 is more on the road , under control.Are there big construction differences or may be too much used springs / shock absorvers ?

I will bring it to a Mechanic specialized in old MBs...dealers are good for trucks under , valid insurence . But i have to orientate them cause may be the y never saw a G.

Any help is always wellcome.

Thanks for all of you.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 1:24 AM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Hi my friends.

Ze,

Harald might have a CD with your owners manual on it.

A friend of mine has a similar G with that motor. The six cylinder is not like the V8 in your '06. Mild power. It may need a tune up/valve adjust.

I think the diff locks are vacuum assist in this rig and there were some posts on the old forum that discussed troubleshooting that system. Dutch knows what to look for there.

I bet your shocks are tired. My friend's has tight solid suspension.

-Dai
#9336 - in reply to #9333
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 1:32 AM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)

Ze, if the suspension is too soft, look and see what kind of springs you currently have installed on the truck. It might be time to order some newer ones.

Also when you take your car in for service, be especially selective when it comes to who you let service your car. Mechanics using the wrong set of tools can seriously damage your G and make repairs very costly $$$.
#9337 - in reply to #9333
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 9:45 AM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
RE: Hi my friends.

Ze Bocaina - 5/5/2006 9:48 PM

Today i drove 450 km from Sao Paulo to Rio , and i am very happy with the GE 300 cabrio. The engine its pretty new. The old owner made a reform changing all the rubbers , ducts , gas tank , etc...etc..2 years a go ( he gave all notes off the MB dealer ) , there is no oil on the ground in my garage after the trip and the truck arrived easy at 140km/h .The only thing i aobser is that the paint is a little bit burned in the discharge near the engine . Temperature all trip 85/90 C , oil preassure on the top when the truck is running and in the middle in low run 900rpm.

Problems-

1 - my owner manual is writtem in german.

2 - Until 60 km/h i fell the car without torque ( response for aceleration),not too much , but a beat.

Hi Ze.

-1 - Du kannst natuerlich auch ein bisschen Deutsch lernen

-2 - The truck might take off in second gear (if automatic transmission), hit the kick-down switch. My G with the M103 engine and larger tire/wheels had such a poor acceleration - you had to be careful not to hit the windshield with your head

Enjoy,

Karl
#9395 - in reply to #9333
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 8:46 PM
mb230s

Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40

I the old forum there is a thread about disabling the 2nd gear start. It was a really early topic. A couple companies make a gizmo for other model MBs. I think this guy had one adapted.

The entire concept baffles me. I sometimes wonder they were thinking.
#10067 - in reply to #9333
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 6:25 PM
nadd
Expert

Vehicle(s): G500 2016 LHD, numerous Chevys

As someone familiar with driving a G300 (94), G500, then again a 300GE, the suspension difference is very obvious!
Though I think the 300 suspension (or springs/shocks combination as it may be) is better suited for bumps (specially sleeping policemen), while the 500/55s are clearly superior for cornering or handling work. There is a reason the early 463s had a big steering wheel; you are meant to turn it slowly! Yes it means you have to get used to it, each time you switch from the 500/55 to the 300, but each has its own character, and I love them as they are.
One last word on acceleration, the G300 is pretty rapid for what it's got (177bhp!), specially as the axles are "faster" than those on the V8s, but you need to know how to use the power pedal. In my experience, the transmission will start in 1st and take off nicely without kickdown, as long as you depress it quickly and about half way or more. Again something you get from experience, I am sure you will enjoy learning about the perks of the 300!
I hope one day mine will be as free of oil under the hood (and on the drive)!
#10410 - in reply to #9333
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 7:58 PM
nadd
Expert

Vehicle(s): G500 2016 LHD, numerous Chevys

oh yes i forgot to mention, the current 300GE (91) had all shock absorbers AND springs replaced about 3 years ago, that is why i am happy with the ride, so yes i suggest you look into the history to see if they have been done already or not...imho no other car ages like a merc
#10465 - in reply to #9333
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1