Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Windshield Wiper Shaft leaking issue

Page 1 of 1 1
Windshield Wiper Shaft leaking issue
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 8:22 AM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
Windshield Wiper Shaft leaking issue

I know this has been talked about from time to time. Does anyone have a good how to for my 1980 G
Does not seem to be easy to access. Just wondering what tricks there are in doing the work
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 11:17 AM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Windshield Wiper Shaft leaking issue

Try to seal it by removing the nut from the top. By that I mean remove the wiper arms and take the large nut off that holds the wiper shaft body in place. There should be a metal washer under there and the remnants of some sort of sealing washer. Find some large diameter washers similar to hose washers to fit under the metal washer. Use some kind of sealant like silicone or the like and make sure you are filling the gap between the body and the wiper shaft body. MB used a kind of fibre washer that worked for a while there but it dies and water finds a way in past the nut and washer. This is a very common issue with sedans. This approach has worked for me many times over the years.

-Dai
#9805 - in reply to #9784
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 11:31 AM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Windshield Wiper Shaft leaking issue

I will try that when I get home and will also take pics of it so that we can show it here
Danke
#9807 - in reply to #9784
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1