Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Stereo upgrade. Speaker size info.

Page 1 of 1 1
Stereo upgrade. Speaker size info.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/10/2014 9:28 AM
logigeek
Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle(s): 96 Tectite G320 Cabriolet, 02 Tectite G500
Stereo upgrade. Speaker size info.

Can't seem to find definitive information on what speaker sizes I need for my 95 G320 Cabrio. I have speakers in the very front of the foot wells on the outside wall, and speakers in the back directly in front/top of the rear seats.

I went to the speaker shop today with my speakers and compared the 4" (10MM) speakers to mine, and they seem a bit small, but info on here seemed to all say they are supposed to be that size.

Rears have a special mount so they can be flush (or else I don't think you can recline the seat forward), but even the 16MM seems a bit big. Maybe they're 12MM the same size as the fronts? 

Standard speaker sizes in Japan seem to be 10MM, 12MM, 16MM and 17MM.

Any info would be appreciated!

(IMG_0606.PNG)

(IMG_0613.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0606.PNG (435KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0613.PNG (621KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/11/2014 2:14 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Stereo upgrade. Speaker size info.

I have the same question for pre-MBUSA LWB models.  For all I know, the cabrio uses the same rear speakers.

Does anyone have a shopping list for speaker upgrades? 

#219371 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/11/2014 4:51 AM
olasdeplata
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE convertible 84, 300E 89
Re: Stereo upgrade. Speaker size info.

I placed 5 1/4 Boston Pro50SE components in my 460 below the dash, just above the fuse box, with the tweeters in the pillars. For the rear, grounding some sheet metal 5 1/4 components will fit flush but you'll need to build a rectangular mounting platform and screw that to the side panel.

I placed a 6 channel McIntosh underneath the rear seat to power the whole setup and a sub in the rear.

In my older 460 Cabrio, I had 6 1/2 MB Quarts three way components (foot well, door panel and pillar) and same set up for the rear, but it is a challenge to fit 6 1/2 in the rear... lots of cutting/grinding.

The older 6 1/2 component system set up was noticeable better in sound quality but a bit to "bright" in the highs. 5 1/4 in the front lacks lower mids, even though I am using a sound processor to correct frequencies and time delay to match the acoustics of the truck.

I did use a ton of dynamat in both projects, heavy duty cables, second battery (or a really large one) and capacitor. Also, foam cones to isolate the fronts from backfiring in the cabin.

Issues: Doors need 4s or smaller and there is not much depth due to the glass... I had to use raiser for the speakers. Same issue of clearance in the rear sides... depth. Amp will be upside down, so an amp with good fans is a good choice.

The most crucial are the front speakers, to haves 4s, in my opinion, is just crazy. The rears are not very relevant to the sound, especially considering the flapping of the soft top.

Today, if I had to do it all over, I would use 6 1/2 three way Rainbows or Focals in the front (foot well, door panel, pillar), and 5 1/4 two ways in the rear.

Edited by olasdeplata 1/11/2014 5:01 AM
#219374 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/11/2014 10:21 AM
logigeek
Veteran

Thanks for the info olasdeplata.

Here's what I decided to try, and this ALPINE series speaker was recommended to me by a local shop:

Front: 12cm (5") speakers in the front footwells as it seems pretty close to the stock holes (10cm seems a bit small). The OEM dash speakers and front footwell speakers actually sound half decent to me, and has a decent amount of bass actually, but i'm just curious to see what the new speakers sound like The rears for sure sound like crap though.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B008EFOACC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2...

Rear: 17cm (6.5") and ditch the stock mounting ring thing (which makes the speaker flush) and just screw into the side panel. Stock size looks to be about 14MM. On the cabrio the place where the speakers are is just plastic/leather and I think the 6.5" will fit ok.
Woofer: I already had a mini-woofer thing installed under my drivers seat. It does a decent job in mids and mild bass, but it's not booming at all and distorts easily if you crank up the volume.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B008EFO80G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3...

These flat subwoofers look pretty cool as they won't take up your trunk space. Been debating getting one of these, but will see how things sound with these new speakers.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B003MZQRHK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8...

Will update once I get everything in!
#219376 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/11/2014 3:01 PM
jewdean
Regular

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle(s): 91 300ge, 65 230sl, 1950 170 p.u., k1300gt

My G is a 4 door so its obviously different in the rear but I put my speakers in all 4 doors
I didn't care for the lower location, i like to have them up higher i think they sound better
Also I've never found a 4" speaker that puts out enough sound for my liking.
So i made up these 1 1/2" spacers and installed 6.5 components In them,
I did have to cut a 4" hole in my doors to allow for the large magnets,it turned out to be a lot of work
But the end results are great i also added a 12" sub in the rear.

EDIT: Photo removed to be resized.
#219390 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/13/2014 9:36 PM
olasdeplata
Extreme Veteran

Factory stereos/amps work at very low ohms (like 1), so mixing aftermarket 8 Ohms speakers with those amps is a really bad idea. If the stereo store recommended those Alpine speakers, should I assume they saw an upgraded amp in your system...? The Alpines are 8Ohms...

If you have an aftermarket amp, and you want to keep it, you'll need to match speakers to that amp. A Cabrio will sound well with a high quality 5 channel Class D or higher, minimum of 50Watts/ch RMS for the fronts and rears and 100+ for the sub, not a "loud" system, but a nice one. Something like a JL XD700/5 amp:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/JL%E3%82%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%8...

Since you have in dash speakers, you have some sort of crossover... not sure what would be the purpose of placing a coaxial speaker in the foot wells if the highs and mids are been chopped by the crossover... A woofer will make more sense to me.

Amazon Japan doesn't carry a good line of MB Quart or Rainbow, but they do have French Focals, like the 130VRS that is a mid price component. The Focal K2 three way would probably be an overkill for an open vehicle, but interestingly, while in the US they sell for U$2k in Japan they go for the "bargain" price of Y118,000 (U$1,145 almost half).

For subs, you need to move air, and there is no replacement for surface and a giant magnet. Subs start at 6 inches today, like the 6W3V3-4 - JL Audio 6.5", so plenty of places are potential locations if depth is available. I will suggest these that are "slim" and may fit the current space of the factory sub 10"? or the tail gate (check for depth):

http://www.amazon.co.jp/JBL-MS-10SD2-SLIM-10%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%8...

Better speakers are only worth the expense if one can tell the difference in sound, and the quality of the other components, mainly amps and sound processor are at par, thus not muddling the sound quality.

The way to see your sound system, is several pieces working together that dovetail with each other. It is difficult to change just one part (meaning mixing factory and aftermarket) and get good results...

This is usually the order to approach an upgrade:

1) Amps and speaker need to match and be change together. Front speaker are crucial, rears are not. Cables need to be upgraded... a good amp will melt factory wiring
2) Sub/s can be added later
3) Sound processor can be the last item. The main advantage of the SP, is that you can program it for top up & sides closed, top up sides out and top down, and it will compensate for the different acoustics in the cabin.
4) Usually there is no need to change the head unit, if it has RCA outs

Hope this helps.

Edited by olasdeplata 1/13/2014 9:58 PM
#219455 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/13/2014 11:18 PM
logigeek
Veteran

olasdeplata. Thanks for all the info! I forgot to mention I already have an aftermarket stereo installed: Kenwood U373BT (I wanted the bluetooth for handsfree phone) and it's rated at 50Wx4MOSFET
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0076STHNK/ref=oh_details_o00_s0...

With that in mind, I agree maybe replacing the front footwell speakers won't make a difference? Can I leave the fronts the way they are, and just put 17cm (6.5") speakers in rear? The OEM rears I can't tell if they're just old and busted, or were originally like this, but they sound horrible and have bad highs and zero mid or bass.
#219457 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/14/2014 12:53 AM
olasdeplata
Extreme Veteran

I think you need to find out if you have a factory amp somewhere... If you do, I would advise not to change the speakers "without" replacing the factory amp.

If no factory amp is present, the head unit if powering the speakers. 50Wx4 are not RMS watts, the real power is probably in the 8-12 RMS per channel.

Also, determine if the current speakers are factory or aftermarket. If they are factory, the best way is to add an amp (even a two channel small one) and replace all front speakers.

If they are aftermarket, you can just go buy some larger woofers for the foot well and ideally add an amp (a woofer is not a coaxial or a two way, it is the large speaker in a component system). You can always buy a set of components and not use the tweeters.

The head stereo can power the rears, since these speakers contribute little to the sound quality. What you hear while driving are 80% fronts. If the rears are blown, that would be 20% distortion... just mute them for a sound test. Money well spent, dollar for dollar, is investing in fronts, amps and a sub.

Distortion (lack of RMS wattage and high volume) will blow any speaker.
#219459 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/20/2014 4:28 PM
gomezoscar

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle(s): 1997 G36, 1970 Jeepster Commando, 2003 S55

Hey all- figured I'd chime in with an audio question here too!

I have a 97 G36 originally owned by Dr. Dre. Back in the day, he had Becker Auto Design do an all-out audio system with dual batteries, two 2-channel and one 6-channel McIntosh amps, component speakers, etc. Awesome when it worked for the first couple years of our ownership, electronic headache for the past few years. We decided to have Thor help us remove everything and simplify.

In the simplified version, I'm trying to keep some of the original components, but think it's time for a newer head unit with Bluetooth and iPhone hookups. Anyone have recommendations for something that looks/feels appropriate in the cabin?

Thanks!

#219610 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/21/2014 12:35 AM
olasdeplata
Extreme Veteran

I am using a Alpine IDA-X305, works great with the Alpine sound processor and any ipod. Has some issues if you are playing from your iphone... read compatibility issues in forums.

If your system is from the 90s, probably speakers, head unit and a sound processor are needed for a good upgrade; the rest could stay the way it is.
#219624 - in reply to #219355
Author
Posted 1/21/2014 11:19 PM
gomezoscar

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle(s): 1997 G36, 1970 Jeepster Commando, 2003 S55

Anyone had experience with the Parrot products? Did they discontinue their single DIN unit?
#219648 - in reply to #219624
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1