Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : No G class Offered in the UK site

Page 1 of 1 1
No G class Offered in the UK site
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 3:00 PM
Ze Bocaina

Date registered: Dec 1899
No G class Offered in the UK site

I dont know the reason why, but only GL/ML offroaders are offered in the international site for UK.

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/content/mbcom/international/internatio...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 3:06 PM
markcedes

Re: No G class Offered in the UK site

they dont officialy market it there but i belive its availible to order at the dealer
#38024 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 4:58 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

So does this mean that Caversham is going to be the only place in the UK to offer the G?
#38052 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 5:30 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
UK Members' Input?

Ze Bocaina - 8/13/2006 3:00 PM

I dont know the reason why, but only GL/ML offroaders are offered in the international site for UK.

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/content/mbcom/international/internatio...

We have several members here from the UK. Why not let them comment? They probably have better insight and knowledge on this topic than any who have posted so far.
#38057 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 6:30 PM
mark
Veteran

Vehicle(s): G300TD
RE: No G class Offered in the UK site

MB of Mayfair will supply new UK spec G's. In theory, any main dealer could supply them, but they'll try very hard not to.

MB UK's only attempt at marketing the G.

http://www.g-wagon.co.uk/

Edited by mark 8/13/2006 6:47 PM
#38062 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 7:39 PM
folidol
Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): Bombardier subway car

Quoting Mark,

mark - 8/14/2006 4:30 PM

MB of Mayfair will supply new UK spec G's. In theory, any main dealer could supply them, but they'll try very hard not to.
  (emphasis mine)

Why do you think this is so?  Is the UK not a very good market for the G, or are there issues with retrofitting the G for UK specs?

I find it intriguing that for certain "go-anywhere" vehicles, the most difficult obstacles are legal rather than physical, and even Hyundais seem to go around those with ease.  Cases in point: (all from the US market, which is the only one I know something about):

1.The absence of the G until the mid-90s.

2. The absence of diesel Gs.

3. The absence of the Range Rover until the late-80s

4. The ban of the Land Rover Defender from the US in 1997.

Now, does the UK (or any other European) market have similar situations?

#38066 - in reply to #38062
Author
Posted 8/14/2006 2:16 AM
Greeney

This has been a bone of contention for us brits too. Mortinson is the man to speak to on the forum as he knows pretty much all there is to know but according to sources its because of its price for one thing, it never really competed with the Landrover or Range rover. Mine is a 1987 i have an original bill of sale for it for £31000 when the normal Range rover was in the region of £20k The UK only got RHD to 1996 too after, all LHD
Caversham had a bit of a say in the marketing but eventually MB dropped his options too. Even though he still gets new vehicle he only does what anyone can and go directly to MSP.
As I understand it there is only IRO 2000 Gs in the UK as it is. If you get hold of the G book made by brooklands it is made up of driving reports by journalists mainly and I think by the tones they had an axe to grind against the G and for the Range rover as nearly every one of them agreed the G was "OK" but NOT up to the standard of the RR More recently the G has become more popular because of the music and film industry showing them off as well as the trend of 4x4 mums to take the kids to school!!
#38123 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/14/2006 10:56 AM
folidol
Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): Bombardier subway car

Well, although in practical terms it doesn't make a lot of sense, you can count on the British to bring up issues into the idiosyncratic-patriotic realm.

I guess that the Land Rover cars being British and legendary, with a 30-year head start on Mercedes (and with legendary maintenance -or "character"- issues), the G being German and rock-solid (not without their issues, but I guess of a more predictable nature)...

Stir those up, and it's likely you'll get all the Anglophile character flared up. Nothing wrong with that... just less Gs in the UK.

Funny thing is that the last time I was in London, it seemed like Porsches were being given away for free somewhere. So, what gives?
#38194 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/14/2006 7:35 PM
Maxwell Smart

Greeney - 8/14/2006 7:16 AM

The UK only got RHD to 1996 too after, all LHD

Not quite true... they made the G500 in RHD in 1999/2000 (not too mention the very obscure 461w) and they make a 2006 G55K in RHD....

MB Mayfair had at one point a full website up to advertise the G. Remnants can still be found at : http://www.g-wagon.co.uk/intro.htm

#38243 - in reply to #38123
Author
Posted 8/16/2006 6:07 AM
Mud Maniac

There is a small amount of info on the MB UK website, but it is hidden nicely away!

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unite...
#38511 - in reply to #38243
Author
Posted 8/16/2006 8:19 AM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

That is interesting. You have to go to Export and Diplomatic sales section of the site to find the G-classe. So is this suggesting that only embassies, consulates, and other foriegn missions are going to be the predominate buyers? If it is open to other buyers, then why not add the G to the rest of the passenger vehicles in the product line-up or configurator.
#38516 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/16/2006 8:30 PM
Maxwell Smart

gwagen460swb - 8/16/2006 1:19 PM

That is interesting. You have to go to Export and Diplomatic sales section of the site to find the G-classe. So is this suggesting that only embassies, consulates, and other foriegn missions are going to be the predominate buyers? If it is open to other buyers, then why not add the G to the rest of the passenger vehicles in the product line-up or configurator.

The only official dealer who is authorised to bring Gs into the UK is MB Mayfair. They are the same dealer who generally supply embassies and such. They have an entire floor devoted to this and vip sales such as for the Maybach.

If you ask them about information on the G they bring you down here. All the prices they will give you are ex-VAT and other taxes and are presuming you are taking the G out of the UK.

I can understand why its not listed under regular cars as it isn't officially for sale to the UK, but I am surprised that the G55K isn't listed under AMG vehicles as they are more or less officially for sale in RHD and they even have them in a numer of show rooms that I have seen... well at least two.

#38651 - in reply to #38516
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 6:36 PM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

IMHO Gs do not sell in the UK because Brits are too snob to buy them.

They prefer to dump £ 80,000 in the latest seven-series BMW, only to give it away three years later for a mere £ 10,000, so that the next-door neighbour knows that they have to dosh to do it.

This is a phenomenon known as "keepeing up with the Joneses" in the UK.

And now the G is becoming popular again in Blighty, just because, after seeing in OK! magazine Brad Pitt, Puff Daddy and Tina Turner driving Gs, the Joneses have now realized that a G55K costs even more than the £ 80 grand you paid for that crappy BMW...

So MB Mayfair is taking a lot of orders for those RHD AMGs...
#40026 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 2:28 PM
Greeney

Thats funny you should say that. I have got out of the UKand now live in France and that phenomenom is even more noticable now I have left.
There is next to no secondhand car market apart from main dealers and the odd garage, in the UK you are hard pushed to find anything much over 5yrs old and if you do its £50 and not roadworthy for more than 6months here the average is 15yrs old and look as good as any 3+yr old
My G is 20yrs old and I have been offered 10000 plus euros many times over. I bought a 1990 Renault 21 (you wont know that in the USA) and had to pay 2000euros for it. Its still worth that cause it marche bien (goes well)
It took me 6months to sell a 2yr old renault kangoo. Its difficult but a welcome change from the keep up with the joneses attitude of the UK.
I am known within a 15klm radius as the "tres gentile anglais avec le Mercedes quart-quart" (The very nice english man with the MB 4x4)
German engineering is highly thought of here even though the Germans themselves are not (war thing still remembered)

Edited by Greeney 8/22/2006 2:56 PM
#40207 - in reply to #38023
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 4:17 PM
AsianML

Could it be the same reason as to why the E55 Wagon wasn't officially marketed in the US, yet it was available?
#40227 - in reply to #38023
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1