Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Transmission Woes!

Page 1 of 1 1
Transmission Woes!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/16/2006 10:14 PM
Ricky74

Date registered: Dec 1899
Transmission Woes!

Recently bought a 2002 G500 with 49,000 miles and am experiencing some serious transmission problems...mainly that it likes to shift from drive into neutral unexpectadely. Has occured approxiamtely 6 times wihtin past month and a half. The local dealer can't simulate the problem at the dealership and refuses to day anything further...they say it's OK. Have read in numerous postings that a TSB is out on this well-known problem but the dealer denies the existence of such a TSB. Depserately in need of some advice on how to go about fixing this problem. Thanks,

Eric
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/17/2006 5:47 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Transfer Case, NOT Transmission

Ricky74 - 8/16/2006 10:14 PM

Recently bought a 2002 G500 with 49,000 miles and am experiencing some serious transmission problems...mainly that it likes to shift from drive into neutral unexpectadely. Has occured approxiamtely 6 times wihtin past month and a half. The local dealer can't simulate the problem at the dealership and refuses to day anything further...they say it's OK. Have read in numerous postings that a TSB is out on this well-known problem but the dealer denies the existence of such a TSB. Depserately in need of some advice on how to go about fixing this problem. Thanks,

Eric

It's a problem with the Transfer Case, not the transmission; and it's well enough known that it's been discussed here and on the other forum more than once.

If your local dealer won't do anything about it, try escalating it to MBUSA. If you don't get any satisfaction there, file a safety related complaint with NHTSA; since it is most definitely a safety issue.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

You can also request copies of TSB's from them.
#38759 - in reply to #38718
Author
Posted 8/17/2006 8:36 AM
Ricky74

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Transmission Woes!

Thanks again DUTCH for the advice. I will try MBUSA first. Is it also possible to request a TSB from MBUSA? Also...should I also try to obtain a second opinion from another MB dealer?

Eric
#38766 - in reply to #38718
Author
Posted 8/17/2006 9:00 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

Ricky74 - 8/17/2006 8:36 AM

Thanks again DUTCH for the advice. I will try MBUSA first. Is it also possible to request a TSB from MBUSA? Also...should I also try to obtain a second opinion from another MB dealer?

Eric

MBUSA probably won't give you a copy of any TSB; although they might give you a reference number to give to the dealer. I sure would go for a second opinion; and let everybody involved know that you'll have to contact NHTSA if you can't get t resolved. I've heard they are very responsive to safety issues. Keep us posted on your progress.
#38771 - in reply to #38766
Author
Posted 8/17/2006 4:29 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Yeah, don't look for the company to share TSBs.  MBUSA is no different from the rest in this regard.  But they are public domain.  Here's the direct link.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

Good luck!

-Dave G.

PS - I massaged that thing six way sfrom sunday and it looks like it only comes up with something on door hinges around '03.  Doesn't looks like the transfer case issue (and I don't dispute that it's a real one) made it to Technical Service Bullitin status.

Edited by hipine 8/17/2006 4:42 PM
#38869 - in reply to #38766
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1