Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : messed up my steering wheel... :(

Page 1 of 1 1
messed up my steering wheel... :(
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/19/2006 5:16 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
messed up my steering wheel... :(

So i jerked some huge rocks out the yard today and the got the bright idea i would "flex" on them... No real reason why, just one of those i bet i can drive up on that. Well i did and now my steering wheel is off to the right when im going straight. Is there a easy way to fix this or did i have to back to mb. I remember last time i had to go to them but that a bent something that had a recall on.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/116147156/2331475110034058898Yl...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/116147156/2817371780034058898pk...

i think this is what got me.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/116147156/2770997330034058898FQ...

Edited by KERR 8/19/2006 5:28 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/19/2006 5:26 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: messed up my steering wheel... :(

KERR - 8/19/2006 5:16 PM

So i jerked some huge rocks out the yard today and the got the bright idea i would "flex" on them... No real reason why, just one of those i bet i can drive up on that. Well i did and now my steering wheel is off to the right when im going straight. Is there a easy way to fix this or did i have to back to mb. I remember last time i had to go to them but that a bent something that had a recall on.

Panhard Rod. How much did you "flex"?
#39402 - in reply to #39398
Author
Posted 8/20/2006 12:27 AM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
Re: messed up my steering wheel... :(

While parked and the wheels pointing forward, look at the front wheels. You will notice that one of the wheels might be sticking further out of the wheel well than the other.
Depending on which side is sticking further out, it will determine which way the steering wheel is turned or possibly how much the panhard rod is bent.

By the looks of the pictures, I'm guessing that you did it while turning the steering wheel with all of the weight on the one wheel. I could not see if the higher wheel was hooked and actually stretching or pinching suspension. I also noticed that the truck is in a different position before and after the turned wheel.
#39528 - in reply to #39398
Author
Posted 8/20/2006 12:32 AM
Braingears
Expert

I am also curious if anyone has attempted to re-stretch or compact the panhard rod to the proper length???
#39529 - in reply to #39398
Author
Posted 8/20/2006 1:57 PM
KERR

it was more of the wheel turned its self, i didnt hold the steering in one place. It still drives fine and both wheels look to be in the same spot. It also goes straight with no problem at all or any new scuff marks on the tires.

I have had the steering wheel move three other times, but that was before the recall on the stabilizer and the other thingee mb replaced.

#39678 - in reply to #39398
Author
Posted 8/20/2006 4:45 PM
Braingears
Expert

So are you saying that when you got out of the truck to take the pictures, the steering wheel & wheels simply turned themselves?
#39702 - in reply to #39398
Author
Posted 8/20/2006 4:53 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Steering wheel off center - clue is in the direction

It's not about stretching or compacting the rod.  Bending the rod changes the distance between the ends.  Whether it's a panhard rod, track rod (steering link behind the axle) or drag link (steering link in front of the axle), bending it will change the distance between the ends and effect steering geometry.  A bent track rod will make the tires toe out, and effect steering wheel position a little as one has to turn it to the right a little to balance the toeed out wheels.  If the drag link is bent you'll also have to turn the steering wheel a little to the right , since the bend drag link will pull the wheels to the left, toward the steering box.  If the panhard bar is bent, you'll have to turn the steering wheel to the left a littel to drive straight since the bend of that one pulls the right side steering knuckle closer to the steering box, the same effect as if the drag link was slightly too LONG, ie- pointing the front wheels to the right with the steering wheel straight ahead. 

In summary, on a LHD vehicle, steering wheel pointed a little to the right when driving straight = suspect one of the steering rods.  Steering wheel pointed slightly left when going straight, suspect panhard bar.  On a RHD it's just the opposite since both the steering box locationand the direction of the panhard rod are reversed.

Sounds like we might have a market for beefed-up G part or two after all.  This stuff is just embarassingly easy to bend it seems.  Somebody was asleep at he switch in the systems engineering group if turning the steering wheel with a road wheel blocked can bend steering or suspension components.  Maybe I need the old "black eye" emoticon here! 

-Dave G.

Edited by hipine 8/20/2006 5:08 PM
#39704 - in reply to #39529
Author
Posted 8/20/2006 5:28 PM
Braingears
Expert

RE: Steering wheel off center - clue is in the direction

hipine - 8/20/2006 4:53 PM

It's not about stretching or compacting the rod.  Bending the rod changes the distance between the ends.  Whether it's a panhard rod, track rod (steering link behind the axle) or drag link (steering link in front of the axle), bending it will change the distance between the ends and effect steering geometry.  A bent track rod will make the tires toe out, and effect steering wheel position a little as one has to turn it to the right a little to balance the toeed out wheels.  If the drag link is bent you'll also have to turn the steering wheel a little to the right , since the bend drag link will pull the wheels to the left, toward the steering box.  If the panhard bar is bent, you'll have to turn the steering wheel to the left a littel to drive straight since the bend of that one pulls the right side steering knuckle closer to the steering box, the same effect as if the drag link was slightly too LONG, ie- pointing the front wheels to the right with the steering wheel straight ahead. 

In summary, on a LHD vehicle, steering wheel pointed a little to the right when driving straight = suspect one of the steering rods.  Steering wheel pointed slightly left when going straight, suspect panhard bar.  On a RHD it's just the opposite since both the steering box locationand the direction of the panhard rod are reversed.

Sounds like we might have a market for beefed-up G part or two after all.  This stuff is just embarassingly easy to bend it seems.  Somebody was asleep at he switch in the systems engineering group if turning the steering wheel with a road wheel blocked can bend steering or suspension components.  Maybe I need the old "black eye" emoticon here! 

-Dave G.

When I mention stretch or compact... I do mean a bend...
I also wonder if anyone was removed it and corrected the length??? This is a VERY BEEFY, but also has some serious turns to avoid the front differental. I would have to take a look, but a heavy duty hydrolic press might do the trick...

#39714 - in reply to #39704
Author
Posted 8/20/2006 5:47 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

I knew what you meant, bud.  Just trying to keep the words clear for those who might search later is all.

If you can bend it with the steering wheel, or even the weight of the truck (bashing on a rock) the chances are good you can bend it with a hydraulic press.  Where the trouble comes in is that as soon as the steel is bent, it work-hardens a little bit.  Not a lot, but enough that the adjacent, non-bent steel yields a little more easily than the bent portion.  So if you're not super careful, instead of a straightened bar, you end up with one that's got 2 or 3 bends in it before you're done.  Ultimately closer to straight than the original bent bar?  Maybe.  But getting it back to factory straight would require careful heating to stress relieve and anneal the bent portion and very careful straightening.  And after its all said and done the material properties are effected enough that the bar usually bends easier next time.

The real thing is for someone to do like they did for Rovers that bend steering bars and rear trailing arms like they're butter....come up with a better bar.  Higher strength chrome-moly, tubular, etc.  Of curse, the more bends required in the factory bar to fit where it needs to, the tougher it is to come up with a really strong bar, given the fact you have to bend it to make it!

One question that comes to mind is, "Where's the significant difference from 460 to 463?" Since you hear of this problem a lot more with the 463s.

All the best,

-Dave G.

#39719 - in reply to #39714
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 12:44 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
updated, beefier part

Somewhere in 2005 or 2006 an updated 463 front panhard rod was released. I bought one thinking that I had bent the front rod. After discovering that the old rod and the new rod were exactly the same length I returned the new one. The new rod was several pounds heavier than the old one. Quite useful as a weapon, actually.

I can probably dig up the part number if needed.
#39812 - in reply to #39719
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 2:51 AM
Braingears
Expert

RE: updated, beefier part

AlanMcR - 8/21/2006 12:44 AM Somewhere in 2005 or 2006 an updated 463 front panhard rod was released. I bought one thinking that I had bent the front rod. After discovering that the old rod and the new rod were exactly the same length I returned the new one. The new rod was several pounds heavier than the old one. Quite useful as a weapon, actually. I can probably dig up the part number if needed.

What was the end result? What was the problem?

#39833 - in reply to #39812
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 9:36 AM
KERR

what i mean by the steering wheel moved on it own, is when i was pulling up on the rock my wheels where straight. As i started up the tire turned to the left (and steering wheel) i didnt hold the steering wheel just left to go on its own. then once up on the rock and moving i turned it back straight with no problems. I guess i did it then..

#39876 - in reply to #39398
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 11:26 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

Braingears - 8/20/2006 11:51 PM

After suffering with the pull-to-the-right for too long, I broke down and had a shop do an alignment. Despite improved numbers on their "results" sheet he truck wasn't any better. After buying the part and going under the truck I realised that the alignment was a sham. The adusters were frozen in place. (words were had and I got my money back).

I removed and checked the panhard rods, thus ruling them out. Then I used a gigantic set of pipe wrenches to loosen all the adjusters. I've since adjusted the toe-in and steering using the string method. The truck steers much better, but still tends to track away from the crown too much. A bent axle tube might be possible, but that is too depressing to check.
#39885 - in reply to #39833
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 11:32 AM
diehardg
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000G500L, 2015 G350BT, 2016G63(now), 1968 S404

hipine - 8/21/2006 5:53 AM

-Dave G.

Agree.
This track rods are quite big compared to L/Cs or Jeeps. But not big enough for G I guess.
I've bent 3 track rods. 2 on rocks, 1 when going downhill.

Yasu
#39888 - in reply to #39704
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 11:44 AM
Braingears
Expert

AlanMcR - 8/21/2006 11:26 AM
Braingears - 8/20/2006 11:51 PM

After suffering with the pull-to-the-right for too long, I broke down and had a shop do an alignment. Despite improved numbers on their "results" sheet he truck wasn't any better. After buying the part and going under the truck I realised that the alignment was a sham. The adusters were frozen in place. (words were had and I got my money back). I removed and checked the panhard rods, thus ruling them out. Then I used a gigantic set of pipe wrenches to loosen all the adjusters. I've since adjusted the toe-in and steering using the string method. The truck steers much better, but still tends to track away from the crown too much. A bent axle tube might be possible, but that is too depressing to check.

My offer still stands... anytime you want to get rid of the beautiful diesel... let me know...

#39895 - in reply to #39885
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1