Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : A couple pics from the G-amboree...

Page 1 of 1 1
A couple pics from the G-amboree...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 9:01 PM
cball

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '86 280GE
A couple pics from the G-amboree...

...and perhaps some flamebait for that Wolfgang guy. Possibly unfair since I have 33s and everyone else had pretty much bone stock vehicles but given how noisy the ML's ESP relays are you would think that they would have the ability to apply the brakes to the wheel that is in the air long enough that you don't just jitter back and forth looking like you have a case of the DTs. Actually a much more vexing problem for an electronic traction control system than it sounds like on the face of it and doubtless ultimately doomed to failure.

It was a fun trip and definately more challenging than they have been in the past, nicely timed considering we needed the Tirfor I bought a couple of weeks earlier on several occasions. As an aside I heartily recommend picking up a Tirfor if you can conceive getting yourself (more likely the people you are with) into these sorts of situations, I could easily see needing a couple pulleys or a kilometer of driving being required to be able to use a front mounted winch to help the next couple of cars in one of the spots. They are a lot of work though.

The normal trip report along with the requisite tonnes of pictures will have to wait a little bit because we have just become involved in a trademark dispute, three countries (maybe four) plus three companies equals bad mojo for us so I have temporarily taken down our whole web site for the moment.

Chris.

Edited by cball 8/21/2006 9:05 PM

(dsc_0202.jpg)

(dsc_0268.jpg)

(dsc_0333.jpg)

(dsc_0359.jpg)

(dsc_0029.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dsc_0202.jpg (130KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments dsc_0268.jpg (115KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments dsc_0333.jpg (148KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments dsc_0359.jpg (124KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments dsc_0029.jpg (136KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 11:01 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
RE: A couple pics from the G-amboree...

As much as i'm not a fan of traction control either, i think the systems are slowly doing a better job of handling these problems... maybe the ML was an older one. i don't know which years, but there was a transition year for ETS where they went to ETS+ or something and that seems to have a better algorithm. Although a system that relies on the brakes bothers me intrinsically anyway since brakes can heat up with use without having the car apply them additionally. Looks like you've got a 460 series, withou electronics, nor the need. Nice, as simple as mercedes offered lockers... mine are push buttons... i like the leather trim and V8, but actually wish i had some pretty mechanical wooden knobs to pull instead of the buttons.

Is the Wolfgang on these forums the wolfgang in New Jersey that used to work closely with europa?

Beautiful area !!!
#40115 - in reply to #40076
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 12:40 AM
cball

I was thinking of this fellow: Wolfgang's ML page, I haven't looked at his site in a while but he used to have (or may still) have some funny assertions about how much better MLs were off road compared to G wagens.  At the same time he also has some useful specs and other stuff there too.  Realistically his assertions are probably correct for the specific things he considers 4x4ing, he just asserts things in a much more general way.

I was thinking about it and I'm not sure I see a good way for the computer to deal with the specific conditions where the picture was taken.  Specifically it was a steep uphill section where one or two tires will be off the ground for a relatively considerable amount of time.  Assuming you aren't taking a super fast run at it, the car reaches a point where you run out of forward momentum and you need the computer to keep the wheel that is in the air braked.  The problem is that the only way for the computer to know if there is traction again is to release the wheel and check for spin.  All this is fine in situations where there is still lots of forward momentum but as soon as that is lost, you end up pretty much just see-sawing there.   This is exactly the behaviour we observed whilst we were trying to get up this bit.  It can possibly be pulled off but I would worry that an algorithm that is correct in this circumstance will be exactly the wrong one on an icy road or still stymied if things get a bit steeper yet.

I'm not certain but I think this ML had the newer version, I have another friend with an ML and his is often in trouble where there is a level but steep road (if you know what I mean) with lots of loose gravel.  On his you can see the ETS actively working against him as the braking destroys the marginal but generally present traction.  This was very much in evidence one time where he became pretty much stuck behind me on a bit of road where I hadn't yet switched into 4wd.  This one does not seem to suffer from the same sorts of problem.

Yes it is a beautiful area, lots of mining and some really neat gealogy around there too.

Chris.

(dsc_0005.jpg)

(dsc_4065.jpg)

(dsc_0293.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dsc_0005.jpg (117KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments dsc_4065.jpg (137KB - 11 downloads)
Attachments dsc_0293.jpg (86KB - 7 downloads)
#40132 - in reply to #40115
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 6:13 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500

Your photos of you G with other makes and models, prove once again, how much the G is by far the classiest vehicle on the trail. Never out of style and has excellent and predictable offroad manners. You are very lucky to have such a great vehicle and fellow comrades to enjoy your offroad interests with. I hope next year to participate in the G events that come about as it would be nice to share with fellow enthusiasts in person rather than by cyberspace.

Mike
#40141 - in reply to #40076
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 6:21 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

DesertStar - 8/22/2006 6:13 AM

It would be nice to share with fellow enthusiasts in person rather than by cyberspace.

Mike

There are about 6 of us planning to do just that in CO and UT next month.
#40143 - in reply to #40141
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 8:14 AM
Greg S.
Regular

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 1985 300GD, 1973 Unimog 416 DOKA

Nice pics Chris. Where the heck was the tunnel? Towards Bralorne or Gold Bridge?

Did you happen to find any airplane wreckage, I came across bits and pieces near Poison Mountain.

Any Northern lights during the trip?

Its been a long time since I was in that part of the country, certainly is beautiful.
#40152 - in reply to #40076
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 11:45 AM
SocalAstro
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 03 G500, 06 Audi A3 2.0

Dutch,

where in UT and on what dates do you plan to be there? I might be able to meet up with you guys in UT.

-Leon

DUTCH - 8/22/2006 3:21 AM

It would be nice to share with fellow enthusiasts in person rather than by cyberspace.

Mike

There are about 6 of us planning to do just that in CO and UT next month. :cool:

#40179 - in reply to #40143
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 11:58 AM
DUTCH

Utah Trip

It doesn't look like everyone is going to be in the same place at the same time because of people's travel schedules. It will be around Moab and other parts of SE UT from about Sept 17 - 22.

The best way to see what's going on is to read the discussion on the Treffen Email List. Sign up here:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/g-treffen/

(Chris, Sorry for the thread hijack!)

SocalAstro - 8/22/2006 11:45 AM

Dutch,

where in UT and on what dates do you plan to be there? I might be able to meet up with you guys in UT.

-Leon

DUTCH - 8/22/2006 3:21 AM

Mike

There are about 6 of us planning to do just that in CO and UT next month. :cool:

#40181 - in reply to #40179
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 1:22 PM
cball

Yup, the tunnel is at the start of the road to Seton Portage, the tunnel starts right at the end of the dam at the bottom of Carpenter lake.

We didn't run across any wreckage this trip, we basically did a figure eight, we took the hurley over to Gold Bridge and then went across to the Yalakom and around Poison Mountain.  We then went back behind and took the road from Poison to Swartz and Mud lakes., then back to Gold Bridge for more gas and then home over the Shalath/Seton Portage High Line road.  Probably about 700km total over the weekend.  I have a fancy web map but I have to sort out the other stuff before I can link to it.

We camped at Swartz lake at about 2100m elevation, no northern lights but a terrific view none the less.

Have you ever looked at going to the Bella Coola road (hwy 20) from Poison Mountain?  As near as I can tell, there was a fork between Poison mountain and Swartz lake that you could take straight north about 80km (very mangy looking mind you).  I'm thinking of doing a longer trip next year and seeing if it is possible.  If anyone ever wanted to go to Bella Coola or Alexis Creek it could probably save 300km of driving and only add two or three days to the trip...

Chris.

(dsc_0344.jpg)

(dsc_0372.jpg)

(dsc_0161.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dsc_0344.jpg (105KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments dsc_0372.jpg (128KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments dsc_0161.jpg (126KB - 8 downloads)
#40197 - in reply to #40152
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 1:37 PM
cball

RE: Utah Trip

No worries, I'm only upset that I can't make the trip. 

At the risk of going even more off topic, we had a relative of yours on the trip, it's a bushwakka.  Unfortunately the Liberty couldn't pull the thing off road without overheating so we ended up abandoning it for a couple days, or maybe fortunately because it would have definately made the tricky bits more exciting.  Is yours over 2 ton mark too?

(dsc_0010.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dsc_0010.jpg (122KB - 8 downloads)
#40202 - in reply to #40181
Author
Posted 8/22/2006 2:55 PM
DUTCH

Expedition Camp Trailers

cball - 8/22/2006 1:37 PM

. Is yours over 2 ton mark too?

I've never weighed it (probably should), but the manufacturer claims it's right at 2,000 lbs empty. With a full water tank and all the stuff I load on for a trip, it probably pushes 3,000 lbs. I really should get it weighed to know for sure. The G500 has no problem pulling it; and it hasn't over heated either - not even running across northern AZ in 105°F heat. Of course, both electric auxilliary fans were running pretty much 100% of the time.
#40218 - in reply to #40202
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1