Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Hydroplaned! ESP question

Page 1 of 1 1
Hydroplaned! ESP question
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 10:05 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Hydroplaned! ESP question

So yesterday on my way to look at the GE that is being discussed on another topic, it was pouring the rain. So im going a indicated 60 mph on the trusty Speedo (speed limit 70) Im in the fast lane and all of the sudden you hear the sound of a lot of water hitting the car then the steering went away and we started heading into the other lane and towards the guard rail. I do the natural instinct and turn to the left ( my lane) as we are heading to the right. We keep floating on the water and I keep the wheel turned as we are heading right towards a nice shine corvette, At the this point I have the steering wheel at a half turn the left then it finally catches goes directly back in the lane we where in like nothing ever happened. No huge jerk or neck snapping lane change, not even an attempt to slide around the other way, just straight back in my line and was back to glued to the road feel they usually have. Not a huge deal everyone has hydroplaned at some point and most of the time there is nothing you can do about. What I found kinda storage is it never once lit up the ! on the dash. Its like good old Mr. ESP was taking a nap which is very strange because im the lucky guy that got the over achiever on the ESP.

So my question is this, If ESP takes into consideration everything Mb says it does then why does it not do anything in this situation. If I had to guess I say the total distance we covered with no steering half in the wrong lane would be 45-50 feet... which should have been plenty of time for MR. ESP to know something was going on out of the ordinary.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 2:06 PM
Thai

Re: Hydroplaned! ESP question

Your truck is screwed...i think that you're doing the right thing in getting rid of it ASAP. My ESP would turn on just going around a snow moutain curve (with no obvious slippage that i could tell). I find that my ESP is conservative. On dry land, my ESP never activates.

Edited by Thai 9/1/2006 2:07 PM
#42520 - in reply to #42479
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 3:35 PM
KERR

yea mine is over active. thats why i dont understand it not working yesterday.
#42537 - in reply to #42479
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 6:06 PM
roughneck
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

I am so glad I don't have any of these gadgets, except I have a mark one eyeball. a mark one feel in the seat of my pants, auto reactive steering arms attached to extremley sensative hands that work in co-ordination with equally sensative legs and feet all controled by a central nervous system that is driven by the most complex computer created, the brain, keeps me out of trouble , gets me out of trouble and needs very little maintence, just turn it off for around 8 hours every night, and its up and ready to go all day.
#42554 - in reply to #42537
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 6:21 PM
AsianML

Huh...that's really interesting. In the ML maybe a foot of slippage and ESP kicks in right away.
#42555 - in reply to #42554
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 6:21 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: Hydroplaned! ESP question

The ESP really had nothing to sense. That is why I still maintain that the driver, not the electronics are the best driver ESP needs to sense something like wheel speed differences. If you didn't stomp on the gas and cause wheelspin, you wouldn't get any intervention. There also was little or no G-force loading, there was no real yaw, there were not jerky control inputs.

It might have felt weird to you but ESP doesn't have a floatation sensor Even though you nearly sideswiped another car and or headed towards the gaurdrail, the ESP can't anticipate any of these things.

Some of the newest technology might have reacted differently. The new radar based systems can track closing speeds, activate the brakes and all kinds of other crazy features. Still, even that probably wouldn't have made a difference in your specific incident.

Now if you had turned the wheel just a little too far while hydroplaning, the tires had caught traction and started a spin, that is when the ESP would try to save your posterior. On wet roads like that it probably would have done a very good job, or it may have acted but so quickly you didn't feel anything.
#42556 - in reply to #42479
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 6:33 PM
AsianML

Oh yeah, I forgot, drive slower!!
#42557 - in reply to #42556
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 9:07 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

Ze, cars are designed for the average if not retarded person. The assumption is that for the average person over 25mph they NEED the esp system.

Ze, if you are interested there should be a simple way to de-activate your ABS and ESP permanently. Basically, there is a wire in the trucks shared by several systems in the truck... one of these systems is the sensors which tell the truck that a differential lock is engaged. The old factory abs kill switch used this wire to send the same signal that the differential lock sensors send. If you access this wire and give it a ground signal it will stop all those systems at any speed becuase your truck will not re-engage those systems if there is any chance you have a locked differential... and it can't tell the difference between a switch on your dash or the sensors in your axles.

it's pin#7 in the back of your diff locker switch box. That wire is the same wire used by the axles and by the older ABS kill switches.
#42568 - in reply to #42557
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 11:59 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,

It's not so surprising that the ESP would not activate in that situation. It is only looking for oversteer or understeer situations. If you skid more or less straight ahead, it wont do anything. It looks at the yaw of the vehicle and the throttle/brake settings to decide if you are an idiot.

There is an anti-skid function ("ASR") that will back off the throttle if it detects a skid. I don't know how detectable that is to the driver. I don't think I've ever had it activate in mine.

The only time I ever get ESP intervention is if I'm going downhill on a tight right-hand bend, eg on a freeway cloverleaf. It's less likely to come on if you keep your boot into the throttle.
#42602 - in reply to #42479
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 6:02 AM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss

Well, the ESP sensing it or not withstanding, it's not a terrible lot you or the electronics can do when the car is hydroplaning until the car has slowed down enough for the planing to stop.

Hydroplaning is one of the dangers of really fat wheels - the fatter they are, the easier they will hydroplane, everything else being equal. That's also why you shouldn't let the wheels wear all the way down to the legal minimum thread before replacing them either...

Johan-Kr
#42626 - in reply to #42479
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 7:47 AM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

roughneck - 9/2/2006 12:06 AM

I am so glad I don't have any of these gadgets, except I have a mark one eyeball. a mark one feel in the seat of my pants, auto reactive steering arms attached to extremley sensative hands that work in co-ordination with equally sensative legs and feet all controled by a central nervous system that is driven by the most complex computer created, the brain, keeps me out of trouble , gets me out of trouble and needs very little maintence, just turn it off for around 8 hours every night, and its up and ready to go all day. :)

I totally agree with you Bill.... in fact, Mercedes started screwing up its cars when it decided to build them with ESP, ASR, SRS, etc.

Oh, the good old days!
#42629 - in reply to #42554
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 7:58 AM
Thai

mortinson - 9/2/2006 6:47 AM
in fact, Mercedes started screwing up its cars when it decided to build them with ESP, ASR, SRS, etc.
Oh, the good old days!

Oh yeah, it's such a terrible thing...see: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr061306.html

"Many single-vehicle crashes involve rolling over, and ESC effectiveness in preventing rollovers is even more dramatic. It reduces the risk of fatal single-vehicle rollovers of SUVs by 80 percent, 77 percent for cars.

ESC was found to reduce the risk of all kinds of fatal crashes by 43 percent. This is more than the 34 percent reduction reported in 2004. If all vehicles had ESC, it could prevent as many as 10,000 of the 34,000 fatal passenger vehicle crashes that occur each year."

#42630 - in reply to #42629
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 9:48 AM
Brent
Expert

Thai - 9/2/2006 5:58 AM

mortinson - 9/2/2006 6:47 AM
in fact, Mercedes started screwing up its cars when it decided to build them with ESP, ASR, SRS, etc.
Oh, the good old days!

Oh yeah, it's such a terrible thing...see: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr061306.html

"Many single-vehicle crashes involve rolling over, and ESC effectiveness in preventing rollovers is even more dramatic. It reduces the risk of fatal single-vehicle rollovers of SUVs by 80 percent, 77 percent for cars.

ESC was found to reduce the risk of all kinds of fatal crashes by 43 percent. This is more than the 34 percent reduction reported in 2004. If all vehicles had ESC, it could prevent as many as 10,000 of the 34,000 fatal passenger vehicle crashes that occur each year."

:bleh:

And I don't suppose, you as a supporter of such systems, questions these figures at all? I suppose the iihs was riding along in every one of these accidents so they are qualified to judge whether or not the ESC could have actually prevented a rollover or a fatal crash?

I am now resisting the overwhelming temptation to rant on this subject. We've been through it before, no point in it this time. Suffice it to say that Kerr's experience is more proof to me that a good driver is a better defense mechanism than any electronic intervention, and that I think the iihs has an agenda that drives inflated figures to press for public consumption. I find it misleading and highly irresponsible, but what's new
#42637 - in reply to #42630
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 12:17 PM
roughneck
Expert

mortinson - 9/2/2006 12:47 PM

roughneck - 9/2/2006 12:06 AM

I am so glad I don't have any of these gadgets, except I have a mark one eyeball. a mark one feel in the seat of my pants, auto reactive steering arms attached to extremley sensative hands that work in co-ordination with equally sensative legs and feet all controled by a central nervous system that is driven by the most complex computer created, the brain, keeps me out of trouble , gets me out of trouble and needs very little maintence, just turn it off for around 8 hours every night, and its up and ready to go all day. :)

I totally agree with you Bill.... in fact, Mercedes started screwing up its cars when it decided to build them with ESP, ASR, SRS, etc.

Oh, the good old days!

Yep, they forgot SOTP.
#42642 - in reply to #42629
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 3:05 PM
Dave P
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s):

roughneck - 9/1/2006 11:06 PM

Hi Bill
I can only agree with you,having known you for a few years now and knowing the sort of driving we have done in our time,I think we would both have used our ESP(Estra Sensory Perception),to figure out that if it is raining,and we are doing about 60,the chances of aquaplaning are pretty high,so we exercise our little grey cells,to lift right foot from go faster pedal,and slow down. But then again why do that when you have those"get you out of trouble"electronics onboard?

If you want a real laugh try ABS on sheet ice.

Dave
#42653 - in reply to #42554
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 4:15 PM
roughneck
Expert

Hi Dave welcome aboard, your contribution will be invaluable and knowing you humorous at most times.

ABS, is that when you feather the loud pedal with your right foot and cadence the stop pedal with your left.

I like you can remember when standing water or sheet ice was just par.
and ESP meant extra sugar please.
#42673 - in reply to #42653
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 5:51 PM
Thai

Brent - 9/2/2006 8:48 AM
And I don't suppose, you as a supporter of such systems, questions these figures at all?

Suffice it to say that Kerr's experience is more proof to me that a good driver is a better defense mechanism than any electronic intervention, and that I think the iihs has an agenda that drives inflated figures to press for public consumption. I find it misleading and highly irresponsible, but what's new :banghead:

I am about as unbias as you can get, Brent. I am not blinded by my G nor by Mercedes. Brent, we've been thru this many times on this topic and others...and you should know this about me by now...i am not blinded by things easily (remember, Rubicon vs. G? I will gladly admit when a vehicle is better at certain things).

Currently, I support stability systems and other electronic nannies because it makes for a safer road for me and my family against idiotic drivers (and let's be honest, on the worst of days, many of us are these drivers). Like Ewalberg once argued, there are many idiotic drivers on the road...since we can't keep them off the road, we might as well control their bad tendencies with these safety aids. And data after years of useage around the world are slowly coming out supporting these systems. And there is NOT any data out there criticizing these systems. These systems are now on almost every vehicle sold in the USA as an option or standard equipment...that should tell you something especially in our litiginous society where a failed equipment can mean billions of dollars lost.

A good driver is the best defense...no doubt. I have never argued differently. However, given equal drivers (idiotic or expert), a person driving a vehicle with stability control will have the advantage in foul weather. And i think that the above stats by IIHS proves this point.

IIHS agenda is to serve the insurance companies i guess. Therefore, i think that IIHS would recommend a system that is advantageous to them...lower insurance costs, insurance payments, cashouts on injuries, etc.. Most of the time, what they recommend to avoid injury ALSO applies to me & my family.
#42691 - in reply to #42637
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 7:07 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

Why can't somebody be happy they don't have additional electronics? Why can't they be happy with what they've got? Why do they need to wish their car had these systems? What's so wrong with an off switch? What's so odd about knowing your vehicle well enough so when you have an emergency, you can predict it's behavior and control it instead of having it's behavior suddenly become unpredictable. It may not be called a bias, but there's some kind of issue here, and that's obvious.

#42704 - in reply to #42691
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 8:19 PM
Thai

I agree...why can't someone be happy with what they have instead of criticizing (or putting down) something that they don't understant??

I agree 100% with your Erik.:)
#42714 - in reply to #42479
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 9:50 PM
Brent
Expert

That brings up an inherent flaw in these types of systems. People begin to think that these systems will save them no matter what. Even Kerr, who has owned a bunch of cars, including some scary fast ones, didn't really know what to expect from the system on his G. There was clearly an expectation that since the car acted out of the ordinary that the electronics should have done something.

I guess I feel ESP is like welfare. It is a safety net that keeps you alive should you choose not to take responsibility for your own actions. Rather than continue to expand welfare and the abilities of stability control systems, we should be looking for ways to eliminate the need for such complexities in our lives. Maybe I've just been in the mountains too long
#42719 - in reply to #42479
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1