Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp

Page 2 of 2 12
THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 11:56 AM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp

MarcO - 9/1/2006 8:42 AM

With all due respect to Thai, I disagree. There are still subtle differences between my '99 and the latest offerings. I am not suggesting that the '04/'05 are bad but rather that IN MY OPINION the '99 / '00 was the best. We have been through this discussion before, the reasons why and I think it is fair to say that we both love our G's and we simply disagree on the best year. All of the G's are wonderful - some are more wonderful than others.

Sorry Marco, i can't argue with your logic anymore because i might get banned.
#42508 - in reply to #42473
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/8/2006 9:24 PM
jimmy
Regular

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2013 G 63 AMG

Thai, this is an argument you won't win.  Some of the people on this board are convinced that the 2000 G-Class was the best one built, and some of us aren't interested in owning something which is lacking many modern amenities found in other luxury off-road vehicles sold today

It's a matter of personal taste.  I've owned enough G-wagen's to know that I prefer the latest & greatest, but that doesn't mean that what I like is suitable for others.  I can say that my 2004 G55 has been flawless, something which cannot be said for the 1991 300GE I used to have.

Of course, my warranty expires today so I'm sure I'm going to kick myself for saying that I've had no trouble with the G55.   
#43783 - in reply to #42508
Author
Posted 9/8/2006 11:20 PM
Thai

This was part of my response to someone on this forum after he asked why i have become this way:

"I understand the safety nanny system well enough that current data backs me up 100%. What more can you say? The data is there. Sure, someone can say that they don't need something...i agree. However, some people go on & on about how a good driver is all that is needed and that these systems contribute to world hunger, etc.. All bullshit IMHO.

I come here to learn about my G and provide help where i can. I did not come to this forum to hear MBUSA bashings. It is a damn shame when after a hard day at work, i come home and read how shitty my MBUSA G is! And it's the same people over and over again.

Here is a question for you XXXX...how come you do NOT see ANY MBUSA owner bashing the older G's on this forum or Benzworld?? Ever. Even when windows fail, axle leaking, desolving into rust buckets, or transmission failure on the old G, MBUSA owners keep quiet and offer help when possible. Why is that??? Why is it that I (and other MBUSA owners) respect the older G as much as our own...and yet some cannot do the same to us????? Isn't that common courtesy?? My mother taught me that long time ago. There is an invisible line among the new and old owners. This is just plain stupid IMHO. And it's just not me alone...other MBUSA owners have been fed up."

I guess that i will be going to TIME OUT pretty soon, huh Dutch? Well, if you guys don't see me for a while, then you know what happened to me....
#43809 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 9/9/2006 12:22 PM
folidol
Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): Bombardier subway car
RE: THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp

I have two questions.

1. For us readers not in the US and/or who don't own a Mercedes: What is the "MBUSA / non-MBUSA" situation? You talk of "the old days", etc etc and I'm having a hard time understanding... my apologies.

2. Returning to the original poster: I have no idea of the quality fluctuations over the G's production history. What I am CERTAIN about, is that 500hp in a gasoline burning 4x4 is something no one needs. I'd trade at least 250 of those hp for the excellence in construction and durability that you admired, and were most confronted about in the subsequent posts.

That's just me I guess. But I'm also the type that would also flush most car electronics down the toilet, and along with them, all 4x4s with gasoline engines... and I'm not even a treehugger.
#43891 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 9/9/2006 3:13 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

MBUSA first starting importing the g-wagen into the US in 2002 after the interior was updated. Thuse any g-wagens here before that date are pre-mbusa.

Thai, the reason people of all years (accept you) basically keep their mouth shut and listen is because we're here to learn.

In addition to that, and more painfully, the newer trucks (including mine) have nothing but that too look forward to... only worse because we (you AND I) have more electronics. That's a fact. Not a potentially manipulated statistic, and not marketing literature. Essentially, if you kept your truck for 30 years and put 300,000-400,000 miles on it, it would be a damned miracle if it didn't cost a lot more to own that the trucks that are approaching that now. It's something to accept (which i do for my truck which is in that boat as far as i'm concerned)... and the last reason that people may not comment is because the latest and greatest lovers probably don't care or even read it in the first place becuase they'll sell before they have the problems. They accept the additional expenditure of keeping new cars and don't need to exercise their napoleon complex becasue they don't care if someone else says they love their old beast. They don't need to prove anybody wrong.

Why do i think this isn't the only place you have trouble with people not agreeing with your undeniable logic?

your probably not the only one that needs a time out, because i can't seem to shut up either.
#43903 - in reply to #43891
Author
Posted 9/10/2006 4:07 PM
Thai

ewalberg - 9/9/2006 2:13 PM
Thai, the reason people of all years (accept you) basically keep their mouth shut and listen is because we're here to learn.

In addition to that, and more painfully, the newer trucks (including mine) have nothing but that too look forward to... only worse because we (you AND I) have more electronics. That's a fact.

It's something to accept (which i do for my truck which is in that boat as far as i'm concerned)... and the last reason that people may not comment is because the latest and greatest lovers probably don't care or even read it in the first place becuase they'll sell before they have the problems.

Why do i think this isn't the only place you have trouble with people not agreeing with your undeniable logic?

First, don't worry, you are safe from "Time Out" because you own the same year as Dutch!

Second, i don't think that everyone has kept their mouth shut...see above response by Jimmy and others (on Benzworld)

I am here to learn too Erik...but, what is the value of it all if all i hear is how shitty MBUSA G is????? Seriously, tell me. And if these criticisms were half true, then i would not mind...but holy cow, some of these statements are downright wrong and illogical.

Yes, i have no problem with the high upkeep costs of modern vehicles due to electronics. What i have been telling you is that it is worth it IMHO for my family safety. However, do i need to be reminded about how shitty the electronics are...when there is clear evidence that this is NOT the case???!!

And unlike your generalizations (false, bTW), I, along with many others, do plan on keeping my G for a very long time. Obviously, my resale value tanked with the first off-roading trip!

I get along with some and not with others...i don't lose sleep over it. Unlike you, i don't kiss ass anyone nor care to go through life blind. I point out when you are wrong...and i expect the same in return.
#44098 - in reply to #43903
Author
Posted 9/10/2006 4:20 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Thai

Thai, Your biggest problems on ths forum are:

1.) You attack people personally and call them names.

2.) Your language is foul.

Fix those two problems and you won't have to sit through any more time outs.
#44101 - in reply to #44098
Author
Posted 9/10/2006 4:53 PM
Thai

RE: Thai

DUTCH - 9/10/2006 3:20 PM

Thai, Your biggest problems on ths forum are:

1.) You attack people personally and call them names.

2.) Your language is foul.

Fix those two problems and you won't have to sit through any more time outs.

Attack people personally?? And call people names?? Are you bias or what, Dutch?!! What the hell are you talking about??

"Shitty"...that's foul language? Even when it refers to electronics in my message??

And the last part was a threat, right?? Please. What are you going to do now?? Edit this post too?!

Thanks Dutch for your post...but it is clear how bias you are in this discussion.

Edited by Thai 9/10/2006 4:54 PM
#44102 - in reply to #44101
Author
Posted 9/10/2006 5:22 PM
AsianML

RE: Thai

Thai - 9/10/2006 4:53 PM
DUTCH - 9/10/2006 3:20 PM Thai, Your biggest problems on ths forum are: 1.) You attack people personally and call them names. 2.) Your language is foul. Fix those two problems and you won't have to sit through any more time outs.
Attack people personally?? And call people names?? Are you bias or what, Dutch?!! What the hell are you talking about?? "Shitty"...that's foul language? Even when it refers to electronics in my message?? And the last part was a threat, right?? Please. What are you going to do now?? Edit this post too?! Thanks Dutch for your post...but it is clear how bias you are in this discussion.
I agree with Dutch in some cases.........
#44107 - in reply to #44102
Author
Posted 9/10/2006 5:44 PM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

Thai -

Whenever I comment that my 99 is better than my what ever and that my 02's had a lot of problems, YOU take it personally. I am reporting on MY experience but you decided that this was a generalized PERSONAL attack:

"i come home and read how shitty my MBUSA G is! And it's the same people over and over again. "

Thai, my 99 is better than any of the G's I have owned. Period. My experience, my FACTS. I am sure I am one of your "same people" who complain over and over. I have NEVER criticised YOUR G wagen. I am sure it is terrific. However, your deciding my valid criticism of MY experience is a personal slight is puerile and sophomoric.

Finally, through the stuff that you view as garbage (criticism of MB with their execution of the G) on this forum there has been a huge amount of valuable information that has personally saved me many times. It has also allowed me to keep vehicles on the road that I might have had to get rid of otherwise.

Finally, some of us have owned many MB products and have noticed a decided change in the way company does business and it is not as customer friendly or quality conscience as it was. MY FACTS, Thai. Again, Thai, unless you are the PR/manager/executive VP/CEO of MB you might want to stop viewing these comments as personal assaults on your box.
#44112 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 9/10/2006 5:52 PM
Thai

MarcO - 9/10/2006 4:44 PM
Finally, through the stuff that you view as garbage (criticism of MB with their execution of the G) on this forum there has been a huge amount of valuable information that has personally saved me many times. It has also allowed me to keep vehicles on the road that I might have had to get rid of otherwise.

Oh definitely, i agree...much info on this forum (and Benzworld before tekeover) is very useful to everyone. As for MB service, i agree...it's impersonal as the next dealer (with maybe the exception of Lexus). I love your current thread about personal treatment of a local mechanic...i absolutely agree with you. I am the admin of a Toyota forum...and i hear the same comments.
#44113 - in reply to #44112
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12