Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Ted Baldwin... tire talk...

Page 1 of 1 1
Ted Baldwin... tire talk...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/11/2006 4:02 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
Ted Baldwin... tire talk...

hey, if your scootin' all four tires have you considered putting 305's (tire width) on the car? You've got the power enough you could probably take advantage of that width. consider going even wider. Go down in diameter will also make quite a difference.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/11/2006 4:44 AM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2
RE: Ted Baldwin... tire talk...

ewalberg - 9/11/2006 9:02 AM

hey, if your scootin' all four tires have you considered putting 305's (tire width) on the car? You've got the power enough you could probably take advantage of that width. consider going even wider. Go down in diameter will also make quite a difference.

It will also increase the danger of aquaplane on wet roads.
#44205 - in reply to #44186
Author
Posted 9/11/2006 4:59 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Re: Ted Baldwin... tire talk...

He's running summer tires already... can't get much worse... ok, i guess it could. If it were my truck i'd give it a 1" lift and put 305 all terrains on it. Actually, i've heard people say that the g-wagen rides best on 35" tires. Boy, that would be fun to drive with all that power.
#44206 - in reply to #44186
Author
Posted 9/11/2006 10:17 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899

I'd love to have a G55.... I have noticed that in 4low you can spinn all 4 tires on the G500's in first. Dont ask why i know that....

I bet they make a 295 as well...
#44239 - in reply to #44186
Author
Posted 9/11/2006 10:36 AM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Ted Baldwin... tire talk...

What is the full specs of the tires you guys are talking about?? Would it stick too far outside of the fenders?? Will there be too much stress on the wheel bearings?? With all-terrain tires and you're upsizing to 35", you are also talking about a significant increase in unsprung weight...could it make the ride/handling worst?? Just a few thoughts/questions to consider.
#44241 - in reply to #44186
Author
Posted 9/11/2006 11:02 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

Who makes 305 all terrains? I can not find any and I think that I will need to change tires before 25K which is coming up at a frightful rate!

Thanks.
#44245 - in reply to #44239
Author
Posted 9/11/2006 5:37 PM
ewalberg
Expert

To be clear i don't know if any tires exist for any of these applications, it just occured to me to make the recommendation becuase he said he's spinning all his tires... with that much power, a wider tire could be taken well advantage of in a straight line race.

in street tires for ted i should think there are some options... Yes, i'd say wider tires could have extra stress on the bearing, so it is something to keep in mind. well, but so is 700hp... actually wider tires will give more traction which will load absolutely everything more in the power train... but i think it's already pretty clear at this point if he needed to he'd be willing to trade a few service dollars for a whole lot of power and monsterous track times. slightly smaller overall diameter will result in an effective increase in torque at the wheels for a given input torque from the engine so that' s actually a slight stress relief, but... but i recommended it for speed not durability.

in at's, there may not be anything for 18's. looking at the a/t ko, they only make the 295's and 305's in 16" rims which isn't an option for the g55k. if my 17's fit then you could to 315/70r17... which might fit with a 1" lift but otherwise you're looking at 325/60r20 for 35's and more lift still. I think it was msepre and harald that both preferred the ride most on 35's. I really prefer my 33's. the ride is smoother and the steering wheel is more stable... i think it cruises better at higher speeds between 70-85 than it did before. Obviously the AT will not be as confidence inspiring that the stock g55k tires at the highest speeds, if not dangerous. keep in mind i maintain very good tire balance so the potential issues of extra weight and diameter are mitigated. in fact the roadforce on my at's is half what it was on the stock yokos'.

Marco, since you don't plan on lifting your truck, i'd give the 285/65r18 at'ko's a shot. as long as your light on the gas at full lock steering... you shouldn't have any trouble at all with them... they might not rub at all if i had et50 rims like yours. mine stick out more at et35 (about .25") so when i get on the gas and lean the truck over at full steering lock the outside of the outside tire can touch the inside of the fender liner in a relatively harmless fashion but touches all the same. If i'm wasy on the gas it never touchs. the only thing i don't like about them is that i can feel a little less power... but you know i've "only" got 300hp. They are a little bit more redneck looking also, but most people like it a more befitting than the stock look... plus i tend to think you just care if they perform.

the stock 285 fit well under the g55 flares. mine tread sticks out wider than the g55's setup since i have less offset and they barely stick out past the g500 flares.

#44290 - in reply to #44245
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1