Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : What color/type of paint best for the G?

Page 1 of 1 1
What color/type of paint best for the G?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/13/2006 5:15 PM
G-Man

Date registered: Dec 1899
What color/type of paint best for the G?

I'm looking forward to having my G painted, and contemplating what color and type of paint would:

A. Best protect the body from the elements (rain, salt, etc.)
B. Stick as well as factory paint stuck
C. Look best

Is metallic the way to go?

Are dark paints better when it comes to preventing rust? (Heats up faster, dries more quickly?) Harder to see when rust starts...

Is gloss better than matte?

Also, anybody know codes for mixing paint to match DB factory paint? I like "Flintgrau" / Flint Gray.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/14/2006 12:41 AM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: What color/type of paint best for the G?

If you are referring to the metalic gray that is the color of my truck, that code is 7172. I would recommend BASF Glasurit paint. I can get you that specific code if you would like. I think it is incredibly durable and is an exactly perfect match to original. My wife's TD is the same code as my G and we have done repairs on both vehicles. Incredible paint. The Glasurit clear coat that goes over the top to finish the job is one of the best out there.

The metalic is durable. Our TD is an '83 and the paint was completely origional until a moron hit the side of it. No fading and the unrepainted surfaces still look great and match the newly refinished areas.

-Dai

#44720 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/14/2006 3:56 PM
fourbyfourclub
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 300G
RE: What color/type of paint best for the G?

99% of a paint job success depends of how you prepare you car for painting.
Just respray the car takes about an hour but preparation take days.
Best color for the G? Just original factory color. Like for any other car.
You can pain you car any color you wish, but any color except original reduce the car value.
You can not mask rusty spots by the car color; it is only one way to fight with rust:
Cut rusted piece and weld the new one. There are a lot of “magic” chemicals on a modern market as a rust inhibitors, special paint for rust and etc. But in a reality it is like a cure cancer with Advil.
Any modern paint brand works well but you have to use the same brand for preparation.
For example, if you decide to use BASF paint you have to use BASF primer, BASF surfacer and etc.
You have to ask you future paint shop which products they are use to work with.
All paint brands have different technique to apply and different behavior during application.
For example, if the painter used to work with a PPG product all his life he will have a problem with BASF paint products.
Always bring you own paint, clear coat, hardener, reducer, thinner, and other components to paint shop.
And, good lick with you project!
#44754 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/14/2006 4:58 PM
gregschultz

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): '86 300GD; 08 ML 320 cdi; 05 E320cdi

So, the timing of this thread matches my current state with my G, also. But, I have slightly different considerations. I bought my G a few months ago and had to have a bunch of work done on the suspension so it would be safe to take on the highway and off road. I have some rusted body panels that I've purchased replacements for (from Sean, of course). The paint job on the G really sucks - someone did a bad job in the past, the tropical roof is rusting through, etc. etc. I've just finished the standard exercise of using POR15 on the rust spots on the floor pans and, once properly fixed, sprayed with 3M Rubberized Undercoating.

Anyway, I've now taken the G off road in the mountains north of Atlanta - yes, this is the whole purpose for buying the G in the first place. We've had several good offroad trips, but my dilema is now....I've scratched the daylights out of the bad paint job. Because it's a bad paint job, I'm completly ok with it. If I get it painted in order to resolve my existing rust issues, I'm going to be seriously dissappointed as I continue my off road adventures. All of the forest service roads and "woods roads" in the Cohuttas have an abundance of paint scratching opportunities.

What is a mother to do? Fix the rust, paint it and accept the fact that it's going to look like it's driven off road? Let the rust continue and do nothing until I can't stand it anymore? Paint it with spray cans myself and touch it up as needed (ok, this one isn't serious)? Paint it with many coats of paint (and clear coat?) so scratches can be polished out?

I agree with the earlier posting on the importance of keeping the original color, if resale value is important. I think that dark colors look great on street machines, but scratches show up more dramatically. Mine is the stock silver grey color and I think that I'll keep it that color.

Ideas, suggestions or advice?
#44758 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/14/2006 5:15 PM
Merz-Ben
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 230G, U1200, U1250 DoKa, U1300L, U1500, U1700, 416

What I would do (and what is done to one of my G's) is fix the rust, and then find a line-x or rhino liner dealer that can match the paint color with their product and have them coat the lower 1/3 with it, then it will protect from future rust and won't scratch up like normal paint. My 280 GE SWB was a rally truck in germany and had this done- it looks cool and keeps small rocks, limbs, and other stuff from screwing up the body.

Just my two cents.
#44761 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/14/2006 10:40 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

gregshultz, I think Merz-Ben's suggestions are great. Deal with the rust and protect things with POR 15 and truck bed liner. Either that or extra clear coats as you suggest so you can rub out the scratches into some depth of clear before hitting the paint.

G-Man, I like what fourbyfour said. I was responding to just the paint question. If you change the paint color on a 460 it is a pretty major thing to do well because of the interior exposed paint. A lot of work. A good quality repaint can be excellent. In my area a good exterior job is over $5000 because of the prep labor and materials. Add the interior changes and door openings and it could become a pretty expensive project. Repainting to the origional color is the most cost effective choice.

The paint code for the metalic grey on my machine is listed on the G as 7172. It is actually Mercedes code 172, an Anthracite Grey used by MB from 1958 to 1997. The BASF code is 7517 for the Glasurit paint or the other line called Diamont I think.

-Dai
#44782 - in reply to #44758
Author
Posted 9/15/2006 10:38 AM
KERR

Black looks the best.. but its a pain in the but to take care of.

I think a gun metal color would look nice on a G...

this is what my g looks like now.... I so need a buff job.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/2514949390034058898chlAym

#44809 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/15/2006 11:23 AM
DesertStar
Expert

Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500

I am with Dai on this one. If you are not going to spend the money to change colors "completely" inside,underhood etc which will cost a lot, than repainting same color is best choice. Save your money for other things you may want to do cosmetically or mechanically.

I always thought it looked cheap when I would see a G for sale with photos of the engine bay that are a different color from the rest of the vehicle.

As to what color is best....research has shown green is long lasting and less prone to fading than other colors.

My money ? Paint same color....but to me a G looks good in any color even those hedious colors of the early eighties.

Here is the color code chart:
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/460color1.html

Mike
#44810 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/15/2006 2:16 PM
Greeney

Might sound a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" thing but on a complete bare metal respray as mine is to be very soon how much paint would I need, it is a flat colour firgreen NOT mettalic (ballpark is ok)
#44840 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/15/2006 4:52 PM
KERR

there is no reason to go to "bare metal" unless there is a problem with current pait sticking to the primor.

All you need is a heck of a sand job... then re primer and spray... Some time you dont even need the primer.

Yes you have to do the jams and hood. Nothing like opening the door on a black car seeing red jams...

They say the rule of thumb is like $1500-2K more to do the jams and under the hood, you all need to do the fire wall if you can see it. If you dont it was start up to many question on why it was painted.

If you go to my web shots you can see what all we did on my supra in a color swap from white to black.... it was a pain the rear.
#44854 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/15/2006 6:22 PM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350

Kerr, did you buy the "Blue Bomber?"
#44859 - in reply to #44854
Author
Posted 9/16/2006 2:26 AM
Greeney

Thank you but I did nt make myself clear. I am doing it myself in a friends spray booth and wondered how many litres of paint I will need for the top coat. I dont want to go and buy 3ltr and find I need 6ltrs with a different guy mixing it
#44945 - in reply to #44674
Author
Posted 9/16/2006 4:05 AM
ufotwuk

Hey G-Man,

Just to add my two cents to the discussion, I think the most important things to remember for a paint job is what Four-By-FourClub was saying. After going through 8 different painting and restoration projects with various vehicles, unless you're planning to do all the work yourself, you should go with a good shop, and use the products that they are used to.

If you have a shop experienced in using Glasurit/BASF/"Parrot Paint" products, then by all means use them and Glasurit products, which use to be the only acceptable paint to MBz dealers for paint and body work. I've used Glasurit products on one project back in the late 80's, and the paintwork is still in very good condition.

Unfortunately many shops are not experienced with BASF products, so their results may not be up to snuff. In many cases, they will refuse to use it and insist on PPG or Dupont. Shops that use different products such as PPG or Dupont may also have a harder time getting tint and shading just right when trying to do European OEM colors, even with the proper paint codes. I've had two experiences with PPG and Dupont products not quite matching up with the OEM colors.

In many areas, BASF products also may not be available. In the SF Bay Area, for example, the "approved" paint for MBz and many other European autos is Spies-Hecker. Spies-Hecker products certainly appear to me to be comparable to Glasurit/BASF, but since I only had the job done 4 years ago, it has not yet stood the test of time.

As far as getting paint codes, the manual should indicate the location(s) on the vehicle where the paint code(s) are shown. If the car has been altered or the markings rendered illegible, any reputable body shop should have a "chip book" that shows all the paint chips and codes of recent vintage autos by manufacturer. If your car predates what the shops have in their chip books, then you may need to enlist the help of some forum members here to track the manufacturers specs of older models. Worst case scenario, a good body shop should be able to do a color match, assuming the original paint job is half-way decent, and if it isn't, "close" may be good enough, unless you are looking to do a "museum quality" restoration.

Phil

#44946 - in reply to #44674
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1