Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Centre Diff Lock Problem

Page 2 of 2 12
Centre Diff Lock Problem
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/3/2006 11:06 PM
4x4abc

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500
Re: Centre Diff Lock Problem

Richard,

its not the grade down to Santa Rosalia that concerns me - its the fact that the road south of Vizcaino is more narrow than the part north of it. My trailer fits with a few inches to spare. http://www.baja101.com/lapaz/trip/1trip.html

Danny,

the time to engage depends on the position of the teeth of the diff lock(s). If it is tooth on tooth then there is no engagement. The teeth have to find their opposing groves to engage. That requires a difference in front and rear drive shaft speed. If your are going dead straight and your tire pressure front and rear is perfectly matched it can take a very long time for the red light to come on.
Same thing is true for the axle diff locks - a difference in wheel sped left to right is required in order for the diff lock to engage.
#47061 - in reply to #46618
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/4/2006 4:33 AM
MiN
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): No cars, at all.

I'm a little confused between what Harald says and W5YK. Harald said: "If the center, for whatever reason, does not engage (red light) the rear will engage. And the front as well if you want it to." However W5YK says: "I've had two switch packs, and they both operated such that the rear would not lock until the center had completed its lock". Which one of you guys is right - or have I missed something? My symptom was that I could activate the centre lock (no red light) but then activate the rear, and get a red light.

Mike.
#47111 - in reply to #46618
Author
Posted 10/4/2006 1:18 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,

We could both be right - I am quoting what the book says for 2002 USA models. It might be that it worked differently on pre-USA models, and I don't have the information to check that.

Certainly on the 2002 USA models, you could not get a red light for the rear diff unless the red light for the center was already on.

Another example: if you have all three red lights on, then if you press the center switch to disengage the center diff, this will cause all the diffs to disengage.

I'm not sure why yours and Harald's behave differently to that. It might be a change in design, but I think it is possible that there are a lot of faulty switch packs out there. I have replaced mine, but I had to return two others that did not work absolutely correctly before getting one that did. I don't think the design is very good, or the quality control.

Now on the Unimog, I have great big airswitch on the dash. No electronics in the way. It's tempting to do that on the G.

#47154 - in reply to #47111
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12