Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Rear drums and axle seals

Page 1 of 1 1
Rear drums and axle seals
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/3/2006 8:30 AM
Toronto230ge
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 VW van 1987 230GE, 2002 G500 1965 porsche 911
Rear drums and axle seals

My wife was driving my 87 230 ge the week after the front rotors and pads were replaced. She noticed the breaking power and the pedal felt very weak. She dropped it off to a garage close to the house and the mechanic there thought the rear drum break cylinders had failed and were leaking (possibly). Also he thought the rear axle seals had failed at the same time and the "oil/grease" was all over the rear drums and pads ,(Possibly). I called about parts and have since collected the car and returned it to my home until I have the time to look at the truck in detail. It seems the likelyhood of both things failing at the same time seems rare to say the least. Problem is the master cylinder reads as max and the pedal feels weak and no back pressure to it. There is no sound coming from the diff at all or any irregularities or puddles of oil under the car after sitting for 4 days. How should I go about diagnostics on this little project? All help and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Toronto230ge 10/3/2006 8:53 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/3/2006 9:47 AM
Roly
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1999 G500
RE: Rear drums and axle seals

It sounds to me just like a normal leaking rear seal on the axles. If the seal is leaking and oil has covered the area then it would be difficult to see the leaking brake cylinder.
I have replaced both my seals and to do the job requires pulling apart the rear brakes. Although it can be done with the cylinders inplace ,it would be prudent to replace these as well. Then you have everything new . In UK we can get aftermaket brake cylinders for £25 ea. MB ones for £40 or so.
The fact that you have only just noticed it is probably coincidental. Maybe the new front pads aren't quite as grippy as the old ones...
#46950 - in reply to #46947
Author
Posted 10/3/2006 1:03 PM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

I would return the car to the place where they replaced rotors and pads and have them fix the front until the braking is as forceful as you expect it to be.
Pedal felt weak = soft? System not bled properly?

The rear brakes are only involved to about 20% of the total braking force - so, its not very likely that there is anything wrong with the rear. As a precautionary measure I would take the drums off (the small Philips set screw that holds the drum on, may need an impact driver to be removed - don't strip it with improper tools!) and spray everything liberally with brake cleaner. Inspect again a week later and see if there is any leakage. Then you know whether you need new cylinders and/or axles seals (very unlikely) or neither one.
#46966 - in reply to #46947
Author
Posted 10/3/2006 2:35 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

I'm not sure what you mean by pedal feeling "weak", but I'm with Harald.  De-grease the rears and check for developing leaks, diagnose and treat any problem there, and then move on through the rest of the system to verify all is right with the braking.

-Dave G.

#46981 - in reply to #46947
Author
Posted 10/4/2006 7:06 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo

The shop may not be familar with the G braking system. See if your front calipers have 2 or 3 bleed screws. If they bled the brakes they may have only bled one of the screws per caliper.

Definately go back to the place that put on your pads and have them correct what they failed to do.

Mark
#47113 - in reply to #46947
Author
Posted 10/4/2006 10:30 AM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

It's real easy to take the rear drums off and check if the brake cylinders are leaking.
On my G I noticed some fluid on the brake shoe support plate and thought I had a leaking cylinder. After removing the drums, the brake cylinder checked out fine, no brake fluid present even after lifting the little rubber boots - but some diff oil was leaking past the axle seal. This might have been a sign of a wheel bearing starting to go south.
In order to change the seals the wheels bearing should be replaced for sure.
My brakes were acting up pretty bad, pulling to one side or the other, I finally rebuild the front caliper with kits from Eurotruck and found some pistons were stuck/frozen in place. Now the brakes are working great even with the larger tires and the the G loaded to the gills.

Karl
#47133 - in reply to #47113
Author
Posted 10/4/2006 3:05 PM
Toronto230ge
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 VW van 1987 230GE, 2002 G500 1965 porsche 911

Thanks so much, will update as the repairs are made..cheers to all for the advice.

By the way I purchased a 2002 silver G500 yesterday!!!!! Picking it up tomorrow. woo hoo!
#47164 - in reply to #46947
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1