Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : axle tube heating up...

Page 1 of 1 1
axle tube heating up...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/16/2006 3:54 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
axle tube heating up...

OK, so the bearings are all back in place and seem to be doing fine.

HOWEVER... After driving around for a short bit, my right side axle tube warms up. I was feeling the steering knuckles becuase i read if they warm up it's a sign that the bearings are over tightened... we'll they feel fine, and my left side swivel ball and axle tube are cool as can be, but the right side seems to be heating up... seems to be right at the joint between the swivel and the axle tube. The only thing there is the inner seal and a little bushing that's behind the inner seal.

Any speculation on what could cause heating of the axle tube? The only thing could think of is friction against that bushing behind the inner seal. I'm almost positive i kept my king pin shims in order, but if not could that cause the problem? Anybody know the process for checking their setting? I kinda felt like the right side king pin shims might not have been done well from the factory based on how far up the upper plate moved just by loosening the bolts.

THanks in advance... so close...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/16/2006 10:17 AM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: axle tube heating up...

Erik, you will need special tool "Split ring 460 589 0 1 63 00. This is inserted behind the C/V and centers the shaft in the axle bore. The axle shaft is installed without the tapered bearings and then the upper and lower kingpin cap are installed without shims. You measure with feeler gauges to determine the shim thickness needed and then use shims top and bottom that are 0.15mm thinner to achieve preload of 0.3mm.

A manual would be very helpfull to you. It is all in there and they pay for themselves with the first use. Harald's are excellent. There isn't anything from MB for my truck.

There may be a quick and dirty way of fixing your problem by installing a shim in the top of your tight one that is seems to be loading your shaft down. Warren is the the person to contact and will probably have a solution that is not so daunting.

-Dai
#48976 - in reply to #48963
Author
Posted 10/16/2006 11:00 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: axle tube heating up...

Best bet is to have a look inside.  You'll know pretty quick if there's enough interference there to cause heat.  Since you've been in there recently, it should come apart pretty quick.  Worth the peace of mind.  If you find a problem, you'll need to replace the bushing and then go through the bit Dai describes.  It may be laid out in factory manual scans under front axle service on ClubGwagen.

-Dave G.

#48985 - in reply to #48963
Author
Posted 10/16/2006 2:29 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL

hipine - 10/16/2006 8:00 AM

Best bet is to have a look inside.  You'll know pretty quick if there's enough interference there to cause heat.  Since you've been in there recently, it should come apart pretty quick.  Worth the peace of mind.  If you find a problem, you'll need to replace the bushing and then go through the bit Dai describes.  It may be laid out in factory manual scans under front axle service on ClubGwagen.

-Dave G.

I've got to agree with Dave on this. The only way is to open it up and find out. Maybe one of the king pin bearings didn't fully seat?
#49010 - in reply to #48985
Author
Posted 10/16/2006 6:47 PM
Warren T
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 230GE,300GD,300D

The axle must be instaled With bearings.A plastic ring can be
machined to replace special tool. If shims are mixed up this
setting is a must, or seal will leak and CV joint will be under
pressure from axle riding on axle bushing BAD....
Warren
#49069 - in reply to #48976
Author
Posted 10/16/2006 9:38 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

Alan, excellent suggestion about the possibility that a bearing is not seated properly. My set of comments were based on the instructions in the service manual. If anyone has the special tool I have access to several CNC shops and could produce some for those interested. Warren, is the tool basically a ring that just fits over the shaft on the inboard side with a taper to center into the bushing? My understanding is that if you need to replace the joint housing you face the centering procedure.

-Dai
#49104 - in reply to #49069
Author
Posted 10/17/2006 2:41 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

WO-HOOO!!!! YES! I switched a particularly thick shim whose origin was questionable, from top to bottom, and everything seemed more on center during re-tensioning of the king pin bolts. Got the rotor, caliper, and tire back on and it's all running cool now! I'm think i'm in the clear other than checking the tension on the bearings after some time. I barely drove on it with the shim in the wrong place so i don't think it's worth tearing into again. RELIEF!
#49135 - in reply to #48963
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1