Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Diesel filter question

Page 1 of 1 1
Diesel filter question
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/3/2006 1:10 AM
Frans

Date registered: Dec 1899
Diesel filter question

Upon changing my diesel filter, I noticed oil residue onto of the filter and underneath the filter bracket. This is the first time I did a oil and diesel filter change and according to the service record the previous diesel filter change was done approx 10 000km back. Is this just how a dirty filter looks like or could it be something else. When I’m driving there is no indication of exhaust smoke.
For the pas 8 months I’m running on, what is known as the cleanest diesel in South Africa so it could be that my system was cleaned of previous dirt. Well that me thinking of everything that it could be…….any help?

(D1.JPG)

(D2.JPG)

(D3 (D2 wiped clean).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments D1.JPG (43KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments D2.JPG (47KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments D3 (D2 wiped clean).JPG (48KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/3/2006 1:24 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Diesel filter question

If the fuel you are using has a significant bio-diesel component it will clean out the tank and lines. The gunk gets left in your filter. Probably nothing to worry about.
#51587 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/3/2006 2:03 AM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Diesel filter question

I think that is residue/dirt in the system and that is why these filters are important. I found something like that after some funky fuel after a long road trip. These filters are excellent. I agree with Alan, probably no worries. Change it more often if you keep finding a lot of residue there. A key to an easy filter change is to fill it with fuel or Diesel Fuel Purge to the top and connect it to the housing. Then bleed out the small amount of air. Makes for a faster, lower stress filter change.

-Dai
#51592 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/3/2006 3:21 AM
Frans

I have done that. 4 quick pumps and the air was out. I was surprised how easy it is. Thanx, I won't worry then.
#51596 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/3/2006 8:26 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Maybe I'm way off base, but.....

I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I saw your picture of the pattern of dirt on the filter and the clean mounting flange was that the mechanic dipped his finger in some old used motor oil to lube the filter's rubber gasket before installing it.  Ran his finger around the gasket, ran over onto the steel portion of the filter, and the grunge from the motor oil is still clinging to the steel.

Like I said, could be way off.  Go with Dai's advice.

-Dave G.

#51611 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/3/2006 10:33 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo

When I used Bio Diesel B100 for the first time in my 300GTD I had to for the next several weeks replace the pre and main filters 2 times due to the gunk that the Bio Diesel was cleaning out of the system( mainly the tank). After that all was back to normal. For me running a little Bio D (colder climates use B20 mixed with regular diesel) through the system now and then really helps to keep the algae out and keeps the system clean. Of course I do the regular regiment of Diesel purge once a year as well.

Mark
#51618 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/3/2006 11:25 AM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2
RE: Maybe I'm way off base, but.....

hipine - 11/3/2006 1:26 PM

I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I saw your picture of the pattern of dirt on the filter and the clean mounting flange was that the mechanic dipped his finger in some old used motor oil to lube the filter's rubber gasket before installing it.  Ran his finger around the gasket, ran over onto the steel portion of the filter, and the grunge from the motor oil is still clinging to the steel.

Like I said, could be way off.  Go with Dai's advice.

-Dave G.

Ditto
#51620 - in reply to #51611
Author
Posted 11/3/2006 11:59 AM
dai
Expert

These filters are not really "spin on" and I never oil the gasket there. The one area where leakage can occur is due to the alloy sealing ring at the top of the large banjo bolt that holds the filter on. They smush pretty easily and distort. A copper ring there might be better. I fill the filter right to the edge of the rubber seal and hold it up to the flange and thread in the banjo bolt to introduce the minimum of air during the change. I don't turn the filter at all.

-Dai
#51624 - in reply to #51611
Author
Posted 11/5/2006 8:24 AM
sandgogga

I havn't contributed much on this forum but this thread got me thinking. I'm not familiar with Merc diesels but on larger diesel engines you generally do NOT want to fill the filter before installation. The reason being is that most fuel filters filter from the outside inward and most people fill the filters through the large hole in the middle of the filter. That means you are filling the filter with dirty fuel (unless of course you are using pre-filtered fuel). The older diesel engines could mostly deal with a bit of dirt but on modern diesel's it is critical that the fuel be as clean as possible. The bleeding process tends to be slightly more challenging when installing the filter dry but normally a few pumps and the system is full again. I normally find if you run the engine prior to changing the filter it makes it easier.

Again. My comments based on larger diesel engines and not Merc automotive engines. I would be interested if this would be applicable on G diesels??
#51865 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/5/2006 8:30 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo

Sandgogga

You are correct. I think with Dai's recommendation of filling the filter first he fills it with Diesel purge not straight diesel fuel. I do that as well. Great stuff.

Thanks for chimeing in and clarifying.

Mark
#51867 - in reply to #51865
Author
Posted 11/5/2006 7:38 PM
BenzDieselTuner

i say that you simply have a dirty filter, I wouldnt worry about it......
#51933 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/6/2006 4:10 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

I fill my filters with injector conditioner before re-fitting.
#52037 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 3:23 AM
Frans

I am experiencing a bit of extra power. Could it be because of the diesel filter change??
#52112 - in reply to #51585
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 10:18 AM
dai
Expert

Yes, if they are badly clogged you will loose top end because they arn't flowing enough fuel to keep up with demand. I had this happen on a long road trip. Bad diesel clogged the filter so badly we had power reduction. A filter change gave it back. When you only have 124 hp and you loose some power you notice it. When your motor only has 88 you really notice it.

Also these motors just seem to respond to a little attention.

I like to fill my filters with Lubro Moly purge. If you don't pre fill the filter it can take over an hour to pump all of the air introduced into the system as the filter is filled with the pump. Nightmare. Can cause pointed stares from the family as they wonder why Dad is working on the car in the middle of the vacation trip. I would use fresh diesel if no Purge was available. If I was worried about the condition of the fuel it could be run through a coffee filter. It takes a tiny amount to fill that great little filter.

-Dai

#52149 - in reply to #51624
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1