Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Paint/body panel removal question...urgent!

Page 1 of 1 1
Paint/body panel removal question...urgent!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/6/2006 10:37 PM
cyntaxx
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500
Paint/body panel removal question...urgent!

Well, driving back from Chicago to Indianapolis this weekend, I got in a little skirmish with a piece of road debris going about 75mph +. I grazed it on my passenger side and it popped up, putting a few *deep* scratches on quadrant 1 (if the door were split into 4) of the front door. The scratches are to the bare metal and there are minor depressions behind the scratches as the object thumped my door pretty hard. My body shop guy said no problem on the repair, since the primer will most likely fill the "dents" enough to make it look new. Long story short, he says he'll have to paint the entire door panel, remove the stripping, side lights, etc. and also paint the front fender and blend everything. Fair enough.

However, he told me this over the phone and has not worked on my G since this summer, when he painted the roof. I don't think he realizes that there is another body panel separating the door and the front fender piece and that, from my layman inspection, seems pretty darn hard to remove.

Thus, what are my options here? He quoted me a very reasonable price for the repair but I don't think he took the extra body panel into consideration. I'm having him take look in person at it tomorrow, but figured you folks on here are probably more familiar with the G than he will be.

I'm almost considering just having the door panel painted and leaving the rest alone, but know that silver requires blending from past experience...

I guess I should've flown this weekend to Chicago instead of drive. Hindsight is always a crystal 20/20.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/6/2006 11:40 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Paint/body panel removal question...urgent!

I doubt that the body shop would remove the fender to blend it. It would probably be painted on the vehicle along with that small section ahead of the door. It is likely the door would be painted on the truck as well and the body work done in place. That is how my friend Joe would probably tackle the problem. Hard to say without seeing it but in my conversations with him about the repairs I want to do on mine that involve the door and that smaller body panel ahead of it. On my truck the PO had a door brake fail and that dented in the area behind the rubber protection in those areas. An on the truck fix and paint.

-Dai
#52089 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 12:59 AM
VonEpp
W124 Host

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle(s): w114, w124 & w460

I can't say whether he'll paint the door on or off the truck, but I'm sure he'd leave the panel in front on the door to blend it.
#52095 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 10:43 AM
cyntaxx
Veteran

RE: Paint/body panel removal question...urgent!

Thanks guys...

Any particular brand of paint I should have them use? What paint does Mercedes use?
#52157 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 11:55 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

That portion ahead of the door is not removable.  It's the bulkhead and is a welded part of the whole "dog-house" - or - part that's left when doors/fenders/hood are removed.

-Dave G.

#52169 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 4:06 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

Condolences on the mishap, shit happens.
If its a body shop worth it's salt, they will re-paint with all in situ, only way to get a true blend.
ICI are excellent paint manufacturers and carry the full range of all MB paint codes.

Edited by roughneck 11/7/2006 4:07 PM
#52216 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 6:41 PM
cyntaxx
Veteran

They are using Spiede (sp?).

The MB dealerships around here use Glasser (sp?) but I was told Spiede is quality as well? The shop mostly deals in domestic cars, and I've had great experience with them in the past. I took the chance in using them again, trusting that labor is a big part of the job along with the brand/quality of the paint. I usually do not go through shops I have no experience either first-hand or otherwise, and unfortunately am somewhat new to my area.

#52278 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 6:57 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

What color is yours? I recently had some blending down by an excellent body shop when i discovered a hint of rust on my rocker panels and decided to be proactive, i also had a dent in the rear quarterpanel so they did some good work. I have the paint at home as they color matched etc etc and i can tell u what they used. By the way, my car is white with some patina.
#52283 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/7/2006 11:12 PM
cyntaxx
Veteran

Adoni - 11/7/2006 6:57 PM

What color is yours? I recently had some blending down by an excellent body shop when i discovered a hint of rust on my rocker panels and decided to be proactive, i also had a dent in the rear quarterpanel so they did some good work. I have the paint at home as they color matched etc etc and i can tell u what they used. By the way, my car is white with some patina.

Mine is Brilliant Silver.

I hope it goes well. I know I'll be a little nervous picking her up this Friday.

In the not-too-distant future, I plan on doing a whole repaint, in perhaps a Designo-esque color. I figure I'll squeeze at least another 100k-150k miles out of her, or 10-12 years worth, and would like a little TLC, especially if Mr. Murphy and his laws continue to strike.
#52342 - in reply to #52283
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 9:02 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

Glasurit is one of the paints that shops use and I believe they make MB Brilliant Silver.
#52365 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 9:15 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899

they will paint it with the door and finder on the car.

In a nut shell, they will sand the spots that need to be paint, then wrap the hole car inplastic. next they will tape the ends of the plastic to the car and the ground to prevent over spray on the rest of the paint. After that they will wipe down the sanded areas with some chemical crap to remove all the grease, oil or anything else that might be on the pannels. Next they will spray it.

As for matching it should match with out a problem. Today paint codes are done in colors. So to make you silver you might have 4 differnt colors. each color has an amount. So say you have red, blue, green, yellow to make up the silver. The computer will pull up you your paint code off the door jam then print out something like:

2002-2007 G500 Silver XXXXX:

Red, #42 8 ounce
Blue #12 4 ounce
Green # 09 12 ounce
Yellow #78 1 ounce

Then the paint thinner and hardner will go in the mix and it will all go to the "shaker" for a little while. Next thing you know its time to paint.

Only real problem with silver is you dont relize how much the car has faded over the years until you see new silver beside it. Im sure they will buff the side of the truck as well so it will all look new.

I need to check on some parts today so i get a picture of the process if you havent seen it before.
#52366 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 9:32 AM
cyntaxx
Veteran

KERR - 11/8/2006 9:15 AM

they will paint it with the door and finder on the car.

In a nut shell, they will sand the spots that need to be paint, then wrap the hole car inplastic. next they will tape the ends of the plastic to the car and the ground to prevent over spray on the rest of the paint. After that they will wipe down the sanded areas with some chemical crap to remove all the grease, oil or anything else that might be on the pannels. Next they will spray it.

As for matching it should match with out a problem. Today paint codes are done in colors. So to make you silver you might have 4 differnt colors. each color has an amount. So say you have red, blue, green, yellow to make up the silver. The computer will pull up you your paint code off the door jam then print out something like:

2002-2007 G500 Silver XXXXX:

Red, #42 8 ounce
Blue #12 4 ounce
Green # 09 12 ounce
Yellow #78 1 ounce

Then the paint thinner and hardner will go in the mix and it will all go to the "shaker" for a little while. Next thing you know its time to paint.

Only real problem with silver is you dont relize how much the car has faded over the years until you see new silver beside it. Im sure they will buff the side of the truck as well so it will all look new.

I need to check on some parts today so i get a picture of the process if you havent seen it before.

Kerr and everyone:

Thanks for the info! I brought her in yesterday and plan to take delivery Friday. I will let you all know how it went. My guy explained to me exactly what will go into the work much like what Kerr mentioned, with the exception of painting the fender. He says that because there is a piece between the fender and the door to break it up, there is no real need to paint the fender. I'm hoping he's right? If not, I'm sure it will go back to the shop and he will make it right at no charge...

Is there anything out of the ordinary I should notify him of with regards to removing the door skin, the exterior black rubber strip on the door, etc? Everything will have to be removed so I want to know if there are anything I should let him know to eliminate any surprises.

Thanks again!

#52369 - in reply to #52366
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 9:50 AM
KERR

Im guessing he is takling about removing the mirror, door handle, lock, and window trim if you painting the hole door. I's say they will take the strange looking green tape (its thick plastic but its tape...no clue how they make it) and slide it under the big black rubber thing going down the door. then tape over that and paint it. Once all said and done they will remove the tape, then special plastic tape stuff and you will not have a tape line under the rubber trim.

If they do take the trim off i think its just double sided stickey tape holding it on. Only problem with that is the door skin is thin and easy to dent.
#52373 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 10:37 AM
cyntaxx
Veteran

From what I understand, they plan to remove the rubber trim strip on the door, doorhandle, and whatever other items on the door assembly. I'm assuming you can only get to those by removing the interior door skin first. I know the door handle assembly is delicate...

My question is, are there any particular tricks or issues I need to bring up to make this process easier for them? They've never done a G, only domestics for the most part.
#52379 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 11:57 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

I do not think there is any hole in the body anymore for the rub strip. It is simply taped on. Makes this a lot easier.
#52389 - in reply to #52088
Author
Posted 11/9/2006 3:34 AM
ufotwuk

I don't know whether you've been able to find out your car's paint codes, but Brilliant Silver Metallic is DB 744. The paint systems (filler, sealer, basecoat, color coat and clearcoat) that are generally recommended by the manufacturer and used for Mercedes body and paint repairs are Glasurit and Spies-Hecker. My experience with both are good, but availability may vary geographically. You will also get the truest color fidelity from those two, as opposed to PPG, DuPont, and other brands, which may work better with American and Japanese nameplates. There are also times when removing the door panel may make sense depending on whether you have exposed hinges and other parts that rotate of move, in which case the door panel and the other body panel(s) should be shot with the same batch within the same time interval.

Phil
#52514 - in reply to #52088
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1