Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : winch bumper idea.

Page 1 of 1 1
winch bumper idea.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 9:43 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
winch bumper idea.

We were wondering if any of you have looked into mounting the winch under the car. Its been a long time sense I have been under the G and I didn't look when I was the last time. At any rate we have been talking about making a bumper sort like orc for my G. So Judd, (friend that's into racing Baja trucks) ask why we just don't take the bumper and skid plate off. Make some brackets to attach the with to the frame above the skid plate. Then either notch the center of the skid plate where it touches the bumper for the cable to come out, or move the oil cooler and bring the cable out one of the factory openings in the bumper. Granted this would not be the best way to keep paint on the bumper and would probably bend then bumper if you wench ed from the side. However coming out under the bumper doesn't seem like a bad idea. I told him I didn't think there was room under there to mount a winch and he has never looked under the car.

I guess he suggested this because that pretty much the way the H1 he has winch is mounted. You just bolt the big box looking contraption to the frame rails and you done. then again the h1's don't have a skid plate and all the steering and axles in the way like we have.

So if you have any thoughts on this feel free to post away.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 10:24 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: winch bumper idea.

I've never been a fanof hidden winches personally, just due to the added difficulty of verifying a good wind-up of cable on the drum without binding and pinching.  The combination of a LOW and HIDDEN mount...with the kinds of terrain you seem to find in your area, would also give me concern over the ability to keep it clean and not full of mud.

Just a guess, but I know a winch of any size wouldn't fit under there in my 280GE, and I suspect the newer trucks are only packed in worse with little things.  On my truck the radiator goes all the way down to the front cross member, so the only way for a cable is through or under the cross member, and the front of the motor is right behind the cross memeber, so no place to mount a winch behind.

There aren't many ways of doing things on a HMMV that translate to ANY other truck, much less a G-wagen.

JMO

-Dave G.

#52376 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 12:50 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,

The H1 has portal axles which means the frame is much higher than on a Gwagen. That's why they can fit things on the frame that wouldn't work on the G.

There is definitely no room under the G for a winch. Even if you found a place for it, you wouldn't be able to get to it when you are sunk in mud.

Also, taking the skid plate off is a bad idea. On the G500 it protects a lot of stuff - radiator, steering, oil lines.

The ORC design is about as good as it gets, as long as you use the older Warn 9000. It just bolts right up. I've been through the custom winch design process, and believe me, the ORC is a better way to go.

#52392 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 2:03 PM
KERR

Re: winch bumper idea.

Thanks,

I just hate to pay that much more for that bumper again!

W5YK, You said it need half a inch on each side to clear the newer winches?
#52398 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 4:22 PM
-UG-
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300, S350 CDI

That is all nonsense. If you are willing to modify your radiator and bumper that is exactly the best way to go. I have run this for a long time now.

Benefits:
1. No loss of approach angle (I actually have gained some)
2. Winch is fully protected
3. Winch is properly mounted between the frame (no flex or play)
4. Full visibility and access to drum
5. No need to remove the skid plate in front
6. Looks good
7. No risk of failure (unlike anything mounted on the bumper)

Downside:
1. Need changes on the car
2. Need money
3. Need skill and vision

Mine is 460. There could be some additional issues with 463's but surely can be done.

-UG-
#52426 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 4:50 PM
KERR

we would reinstall the skid plate. i should have put that in my fist post.

I dont think you can move the rad and stuff on the american 463, there are 3 fans in there any an bunch of other stuff.

#52434 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 5:13 PM
hipine

Can you send a pic?

Or maybe you did already and could send a link to them.  Sounds like an interesting solution.

-Dave G.

#52435 - in reply to #52426
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 5:14 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

-UG- - 11/8/2006 1:22 PM

That is all nonsense...

Mine is 460. There could be some additional issues with 463's but surely can be done.

-UG-

Those "additional issues" would include moving the transmission oil cooler, the AC radiator, the (larger) engine radiator, loads of pipes, and oh yeah, I almost forgot, a 5.0L V8 engine.
#52436 - in reply to #52426
Author
Posted 11/8/2006 10:37 PM
diehardg
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000G500L, 2015 G350BT, 2016G63(now), 1968 S404

Many already commented pros and cons of winch under the bumper. I agree with Dave's point. If your winch is in placed low, then, when you get stuck in a mudhole, you'll need to dive into mud to get the winch. And usually front end is the very heavy and thus always goes deep in the mud.

How about mounting around rear hitch mount?? There are plenty of space there. You can easily mount small winch like RC9.0. If you use winch to recover from stuck situation, having winch in rear is a good idea. If you plan to use winch to go forward, then, forget about this idea.

Yasu
#52483 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/9/2006 4:31 AM
-UG-
Extreme Veteran

W5YK - 11/9/2006 12:14 AM
Those "additional issues" would include moving the transmission oil cooler, the AC radiator, the (larger) engine radiator, loads of pipes, and oh yeah, I almost forgot, a 5.0L V8 engine.

What part of "needs money, skill and vision" you didn't understand?

-UG-
#52521 - in reply to #52436
Author
Posted 11/9/2006 4:45 AM
-UG-
Extreme Veteran

If I really wanted to improve 463 I would at least replace the plastic bumpers with something that can take some abuse. And when you need to replace the front bumper, you could just as well mount the winch between the frame instead of the bumper. It wont sit any lower (but this is no advantage... lower is better) but it also wont force your bumper to be built so, that is sticks out more than it needs.

Here is one picture that shows a little where the winch is on mine. The frames are the same, so...

-UG-

(mersun_puskuri_1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mersun_puskuri_1.JPG (184KB - 9 downloads)
#52522 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/9/2006 11:55 AM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

OK, it works on a 460. That doesn't mean it will work on Kerr's G500.

See attached photo. The radiator for the AC is sitting right in the spot we are discussing. Behind that (1cm) is the main radiator. Behind that is the engine. The main radiator fan is driven from the engine. It will take a heck of a lot of "vision" or whatever to move those back. Also there is the transmission oil cooler you can see dangling on the floor.

Alternatively, you could just buy an off-the shelf winch bumper that holds the winch at the same height, a few inches forward, with no difference in approach angle, and be done in one hour.

(DSC02506.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02506.jpg (153KB - 9 downloads)
#52545 - in reply to #52522
Author
Posted 11/9/2006 12:03 PM
hipine

Thanks!

That picture is worth a thousand words!  I like the install there.  Like you say, best of all worlds.  It also adresses the one dislike I have of my facotry Rotzler setup - it's the first thing bashed in an "accidental encounter"

-Dave G.

#52548 - in reply to #52522
Author
Posted 11/10/2006 1:41 AM
-UG-
Extreme Veteran

W5YK - 11/9/2006 6:55 PM

OK, it works on a 460. That doesn't mean it will work on Kerr's G500.

See attached photo. The radiator for the AC is sitting right in the spot we are discussing. Behind that (1cm) is the main radiator. Behind that is the engine. The main radiator fan is driven from the engine. It will take a heck of a lot of "vision" or whatever to move those back. Also there is the transmission oil cooler you can see dangling on the floor.

Alternatively, you could just buy an off-the shelf winch bumper that holds the winch at the same height, a few inches forward, with no difference in approach angle, and be done in one hour.

First of all, even on 460 you need to customize the radiator. So, you need custom made radiator, pile the ac cooler on top of that, move the transmission cooler to entirely different location (or pile it with ac cooler, depends on the space available). Probably all fans must be changed to slimmer ones and one added to the transmission cooler if it no longer sits where air naturally flows.

As you said, it's not worth the trouble (or money) if you are looking for just putting a winch for mall to cabin purposes. But if you are modifying the car for heavy off-road or competition purposes, then I would have a serious look. Still, without seeing the car, these are merely guesses of what the solution could be and the entire discussion is hypothetical.

...a few inches forward, with no difference in approach angle...

Were you in a hurry and forgot to think?

-UG-

Edited by -UG- 11/10/2006 1:42 AM
#52679 - in reply to #52545
Author
Posted 11/10/2006 10:38 AM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

...a few inches forward, with no difference in approach angle...

Were you in a hurry and forgot to think?

-UG-

No. I didn't forget my manners either. Even when the winch is moved forward a few inches from the position you used, it still does not stick out far enough to alter the approach angle. The original bumper profile is the limiting factor . If you look sideways at the ORC winch bumper, it does not change the approach angle at all, compared to the original bumper. I don't know how it compares to yours, maybe you have a different bumper also, which gives a better approach angle. I don't know. I am just comparing to the original bumper.

So no, I didn't forget to think, but I did actually look at a G500 that has an ORC winch bumper on it (it is sitting in my driveway). And I measured with a board that the approach angle was same as stock. So I felt qualified to comment about it.

UG your idea is fine for a 460. I don't know why you are so insistent that it is good for G500 when you admit you haven't even seen a G500. The radiator is huge. It is for a 5L V8. It fills the whole front of the vehicle. The fan has a mechanical clutch to the engine. There are big electrical fans on the other side. It has oil heat exchangers. You would take all that out, plus two other radiators, and put in some "custom" parts, just so you could move a winch back a bit? On a four-year old G500 that is worth probably US$30,000? Really? Or is it maybe just possible that this not a good solution for the G500?
#52717 - in reply to #52679
Author
Posted 11/10/2006 3:54 PM
mb230s

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40

Bad gameplan for a G500.
#52738 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/10/2006 4:26 PM
hipine

Good? Bad?

They're all just options.  The more the better in my opinion. 

Everybody has different needs and wants, and what works for one might not be chosen by another.  Doesn't make it any less valid, or make it "Good"  or "Bad".  I might not think those kinds of modifications are worthwhile to achieve my goals, but someone else may think it's the perfect solution.

Keep the "...call me crazy, but could I possibly....." posts coming.  And just as well, keep the "....you COULD do it this way....." replies coming too.  It all adds to a larger pool of points of view and possibilities to consider.  Anybody who isn't after that needs to be spending their time somewhere other than an internet forum.  Sharing ideas and possibilities is at the core of what forums like this are all about, more so than pronouncing things "good" or "bad".

But that's just my opinion. 

-Dave G.

#52743 - in reply to #52370
Author
Posted 11/10/2006 4:33 PM
mb230s

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40

If you ever had the front apart on a G500 you would agree in very short order. Sorry if my manners rubbed you the wrong way, but that doesn't change the fact that this would be a very complicated and problematic approach to use. I didn't mean for my opinion to be taken offensively, I just think it is a bad gameplan.  Move the oil cooler to the back of the skid plate via the G55 method and use the ORC winch bumper. That is the best and most practical option out there (once again - in my humble opinion).

Edited by mb230s 11/10/2006 4:39 PM
#52744 - in reply to #52370
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1